Stands on Public Lands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stands on Public Lands?

Never really hunted public land except for turkey hunting. And don’t worry, not planning on it any time soon...

But I follow these threads because I have tremendous respect for those who get it done on public land.

However, one question has always stuck in my head:

Do most people really abide by the rule of stands only being allowed to remain for 72 hours?
    Do y’all really install and uninstall a tree stand every hunting trip you take? I know some people hike miles back in there to get to their secret spot, and that seems like a lot of work to be done for every hunting trip you take during a season. Hauling a stand mile(s) each way and putting it up only to take it down in 3 days. And doing that multiple times per season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
    Never really hunted public land except for turkey hunting. And don’t worry, not planning on it any time soon...

But I follow these threads because I have tremendous respect for those who get it done on public land.

Do most people really abide by the rule of stands only being allowed to remain for 72 hours?
    Do y’all really install and uninstall a tree stand every hunting trip you take? I know some people hike miles back in there to get to their secret spot, and that seems like a lot of work to be done for every hunting trip you take during a season. Hauling a stand mile(s) each way and putting it up only to take it down in 3 days. And doing that multiple times per season?

I also would like to know this and am planning trips this next year bc lease's are expensive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of the time yes, we haul the stand in each morning and take it with us each evening. One reason you see guys buying the ultra light stands and game carts. Stand corn bow everything else typically is 75lbs or more each trip

Comment

Multiple times per season? How about 4 times in a weekend hunt! And yes pretty much every time. What doesn't kill you....Makes you tuff!

Comment

I set mine up two days out and hunt the third day. I use a cheap one that way if it gets stolen then. I big deal

Comment

Every morning I hauled the stand in strapped to my back. Walked several miles. By evening hauled it all back out. And I didn’t have any lightweight anything. All was made of steel. What I couldn’t carry on my back was in my hands & arms.

Comment

I hunt out of a climber, I haul it in and out every hunt. Climber, bow, small bag of accessories and water.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                I hunt out of a climber, I haul it in and out every hunt. Climber, bow, small bag of accessories and water.

What accessories do u pak in and out?

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishtank401 View Post
                  What accessories do u pak in and out?

Grunt tube, 2 releases, knife, pen, range finder, binos strapped to my chest, 1-2 bottles of water, snacks if I plan to sit all day. Anything I feel I might need for the day, but I keep it as light as possible. It’s not fun carrying a heavy bag on top of your climber.

Comment

Grunt tube, 2 releases, knife, pen, range finder, binos strapped to my chest, 1-2 bottles of water, snacks if I plan to sit all day. Anything I feel I might need for the day, but I keep it as light as possible. It’s not fun carrying a heavy bag on top of your climber.

I do alot of long hikes I understand how a small pack can feel like a ton of brick in a 3 mile hike ,my pack is just a 10 dollar camo bag from wallmart and it has a came back conpartment and I have a pair of good binocular with chest strap but I would need a grunt tube and range finder

Comment

I do alot of long hikes I understand how a small pack can feel like a ton of brick in a 3 mile hike ,my pack is just a 10 dollar camo bag from wallmart and it has a came back conpartment and I have a pair of good binocular with chest strap but I would need a grunt tube and range finder

That’s all you need is one those small bags. I usually tie my climber together and hang the bag over the biters of my climber then hold my bow as I walk in. I recommend also figuring out a way to fasten your harness in a way that isn’t all over the place as you walk in. I take my lanyard and kinda tie it up before I leave the truck so that it’s not swinging everywhere. First few times out will be somewhat frustrating but once you get use to throwing up a stand it’s kind of fun seeing how quickly you can get up a tree. I think I’ve got mine down to about 9 minutes from taking off my climber to being set up in the tree

Comment

That’s all you need is one those small bags. I usually tie my climber together and hang the bag over the biters of my climber then hold my bow as I walk in. I recommend also figuring out a way to fasten your harness in a way that isn’t all over the place as you walk in. I take my lanyard and kinda tie it up before I leave the truck so that it’s not swinging everywhere. First few times out will be somewhat frustrating but once you get use to throwing up a stand it’s kind of fun seeing how quickly you can get up a tree. I think I’ve got mine down to about 9 minutes from taking off my climber to being set up in the tree

Wow that's impressive
                        But I having trouble aforable
                        range finder

Comment

Wow that's impressive
                          But I having trouble aforable
                          range finder

Tape measure. Measure off trees around the one you plan to set up in. I have several friends that do this

Comment

Tape measure. Measure off trees around the one you plan to set up in. I have several friends that do this

Yea not a bad idea I'll use it definitely but I would love to get a range finder tho I had a buddy bet me I wouldn't pick a bunch of blood and hair into a pile on the ground from after we cleaned a hog needless to say I didn't do it and isn't get a range finder [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I hear 72 hour, 48 hour rule etc. Not every PHL has this rule, in fact most don't be sure to read the individual rules. If I find a stand thats been there and is breaking the rules I send in the GPS coords in to the controlling authority, and they recommend you do this, and they do remove it.

Comment

Working...
                              X