No announcement yet.

Breaking the Snuff Habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep, I kept my last can for many year. Actually think my wife threw it away. Not easy. But hang in there. Can't say you ever lose the craving. But it does become manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
      yep, I kept my last can for many year. Actually think my wife threw it away. Not easy. But hang in there. Can't say you ever lose the craving. But it does become manageable.
      Yes sir, drink a couple beers and reach for the can. I am glad I do not have the desire for it anymore.

Comment

I did 34 years. Almost 5 months off it now. I chew the hell outta coffee beans now though. Keep it up!!

Comment

I quit from 1-1-18 until 6-29-19 cold turkey. We got married on 6-29-19, I thought I could handle dipping for the weekend and call it good. I picked right back up where I left off. One of the worst mistakes I have made. I will quit again, hopefully soon.

Comment

I quit last night, but......

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
              My biggest motivation was how much money I was spending every day. $300 a month was enough for me to quit and buy my first new truck. Threw my last can of snuff in the trash. Never took or wanted to take another dip.
              Dang. That's like 40+ cans/month.

Comment

I quit a two can a day habit in 2007. My neighbor dipped for 25 years and died of throat cancer in 2007. I relapsed a couple of times but was determined to quit and did.

Comment

January 10, 2016 laid it down cold turkey! Amazing looking back how much it influenced my daily life! Stay strong

Comment

None since feb 18 for me. Dipped Copenhagen 24 years. I got the last few grains out of one can and as I was opening the next something just came over me. I threw that full can out the window and haven’t touched it since. It has actually been much much easier than I thought. I had never tried to quit up until that day. I really think part of it is/was a subconscious respect for my wife. She is a hygienist and obviously having a husband that dips goes against everything she preaches professionally

Comment

Great choice, I had a 25 year addiction and quit 20 years ago. Best choice I ever made. It can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Breaking the Snuff Habit

I’m on day 5. After a can a day for 25 years. Threw it down cold turkey on my birthday. Got my last dip at midnight and threw the rest in the trash. Tooth picks, sunflower seeds and gum have helped. Day 3 was rough but it seems to be getting better. I haven’t considered killing anyone today atleast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the first 3 days were the hardest for me if I can remember correctly. It has been 10 or 11 years now. I don't have any cravings and haven't for years. I do however have 'dip' dreams. Starts out with me dipping, feeling guilty, and then my teeth like rocks in my mouth that I keep spitting out until I wake up. If not that dream, same scenerio but it is like when a dip gets old and you are ready to spit it out but in the dream it just keeps coming out and is like a mud water base that never ends until I wake up....

All that said, I am so glad that I quit and those dreams help reinforce that decision after all these years. I never thought I could quit because I had done so many times for long durations but never had it my mind to be done so I always ended up going back.

Prayer will help, fortitude and support of family and friends. I will say the only way I quit was to go cold turkey. I tried smokey mountain, bak off, and even mixing the fake stuff with real stuff to wean off. That didn't work for me.

I believe after 36 hours a fog lifted over my head and I was thinking clearly and sharp. This lasted about a week or 10 days and at the 2 week mark the cravings came back really hard. However, they quickly subsided each day and by week 3 or week 4 I was feeling great.

Good luck, it isn't going to be easy but pray for the will and fortitude to stay course. Keep busy

edit to say- If I can do it, you can do it. I was very addicted to snuff. I would plan my day around when I would dip if at an event like a wedding or something where I may have to go 30 min or an hour without dipping. It was bad and my life revolved around that stupid little can.
                          Last edited by Beargrasstx; 12-02-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

It’s been close to 10 years since I quit.
                            I still love the smell when someone opens a can of Copenhagen.

Comment

Dipped Copenhagen 40 years but quit 6 years ago and there's not a day that goes by I don't want a dip.

Comment

Looking back on this thread reminds me that quit 5 1/2 years ago. I think I should reward myself with some new arrows or something with all the money I saved.

Comment

Working...
                                X