Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana
Default Educate me- led shop lights

Once again- back to the great folks of Texas for solving a problem! God bless Texas.

We’re building our retirement home in Montana. The 30x40 garage has 1/3 as a workshop walled off.

In the garage section, I had 2 ceiling light boxes put over each vehicle. I may not need the second ones, but I wanted them wired-in now. There will be 2 in that area, and 3 third over the sink.

In the shop (13x30) I have 5 light boxes- 1 over the workbench area, and 4 others around the area, including 1 above the garage door- for when the door is closed and I want to work on some there.

What flush mount ceiling led lights to buy? I was thinking the flush mount lights sold at Costco, so I bought one. After reading the poor reviews online, I didn’t open the box and returned it.

There’s a a hundred models online- what has worked for y’all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Vap...9314732&sr=8-3

These are the ones that a buddy of mine swears by. He builds metal buildings for a living. They are nice and slim so he can flush-mount them to a perlin edge and it makes for a very clean look.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I had 4 round UFO LED's as the electrician called them installed in my 30x40 shop last month and they're great! Got tired of the Florescent lights not coming on in the cold when I was trying to hook up the boat in the dark!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Thanks for posting, I needed the same help.
cwbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I retro fit the ones the same size as my old 4 foot fluorescent tubes. They put out a lot of light. No noise and no heat. I don’t think you can go wrong with the new technology LED lighting.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
wlgorman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

I dont have a pic handy. But I got UFO high bay LEDS on TBH recommendation from a previous thread from primelights.com out of austin.

30x50 building, 16' eave height, 21' peak. Primelights recommended 6 at 19k lumens each. More than enough, im super happy w them.
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Educate me- led shop lights

I have 6 high bay leds that are about 15”x15” fixtures. I think there my are 12,000 lumens each. It’s more light than I could ever need in that shop. I can’t remember the brand?

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
Bill
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbow View Post
Thanks for posting, I needed the same help.

You’re welcome.

I was looking at the lights recommended.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #9
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cleveland & Lampasas

I put 4 of these in my new 24 x 24 shop I am working on.you could operate in There. Got them at Home Depot.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...61-64_1000.jpg
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
jlp04c
Eight Point

I bought a ten pack from Amazon.. i did all the electric myself, just ran plugs up on the ceiling. These are plug ins.. i could plug 20 of them in, but the 10 light it up enough to land planes!!

5500 lumens each i believe
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #11
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Vap...9314732&sr=8-3

These are the ones that a buddy of mine swears by. He builds metal buildings for a living. They are nice and slim so he can flush-mount them to a perlin edge and it makes for a very clean look.

I believe my younger brother did the same.
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #12
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

I went with these in my 30x50 pole barn because of the reviews on Amazon. My son and I did all the electrical plug wiring ourselves. All wired to 2 three way switches....and linkable. Easy peasy, affordable, they look nice and are crazy bright IMO.

Sunco Lighting 4 Pack Industrial LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Integrated Fixture, 40W=260W, 5000K Daylight, 4000 LM, Surface + Suspension Mount, Pull Chain, Utility Light, Garage- Energy Star https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D94M16B..._HW2UEbHC5S7QH

RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

check out www.ruralking.com They have a large assortment of lights. Have bought about 15 from them and not 1 problem.
Meatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
I went with these in my 30x50 pole barn because of the reviews on Amazon. My son and I did all the electrical plug wiring ourselves. All wired to 2 three way switches....and linkable. Easy peasy, affordable, they look nice and are crazy bright IMO.

Sunco Lighting 4 Pack Industrial LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Integrated Fixture, 40W=260W, 5000K Daylight, 4000 LM, Surface + Suspension Mount, Pull Chain, Utility Light, Garage- Energy Star https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D94M16B..._HW2UEbHC5S7QH

I have a couple of the Harbor fright lights and the work great but these look better and are about the same price. and they are linkable.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

(Pack of 6) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 4000K (Daylight Glow), 20W, Utility Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded Electric with Built-in ON/Off Switch
by INW LIGHTING
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUKSZE3..._EccVEbQS7TDYR

These are great for overall light and under cabinets
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
Bill
Pope & Young

You guys are great. Let me know if you want to hint elk in SW Montana. Three miles from our gate gate to 2 block management ranches, 5 miles from the gate there’s more block management, BLM and National Forest. Wolves and mountain lions to deal with but officially no griz- but we know they’re there.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #17
CWendling
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

I have a 24x30 shop. I just changed out the florescent bulbs to the hyperkion 6K LED bulbs and they are so much brighter. Cant comment on longevity of the bulbs as its only been about 6 mos, but for the price and light it was worth it
CWendling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #18
Joe H
Ten Point

Tag

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

I put up 9 of these in my garage and they are super bright. Linkable, but I ran a box for each one and have a coverplate with a hole on a box for each one. Ran the wire in the hole and make the connection there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #20
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteveo View Post
I put up 9 of these in my garage and they are super bright. Linkable, but I ran a box for each one and have a coverplate with a hole on a box for each one. Ran the wire in the hole and make the connection there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need sun glasses in there. 9 was overkill buddy. 4 would have done it

FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #21
FIRE59
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

I put 6 of these in my 36x48 barn. I also put 6 of the 2 light fixtures in my 3 car garage. They are a Texas based company and super quick with free https://www.primelights.com/products...ns-pl-blt66wcl
FIRE59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #22
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

Ceiling height comes into play as much as the intensity of the lighting you choose.

So does reflective surfaces, it can amplify the perceived light (same as dark or dull surfaces can reduce it)

High bay lights are sold kind of willy- nilly online. Only a few show the recommended mounting height in the sales ad. That said - a bunch of them aren’t true high bay lights, it all depends on the optics and how well they distribute light.

High bay lights are for just that: high ceiling bays. There are Low bay lights, gotta look at that.

High bay lights have a narrower distribution pattern, so they spread evenly from a high ceiling. Put them in a low ceiling structure, and you’ll have uneven lighting, and dark or less bright spots.

The goal in a work space is even lighting, then whatever intensity is desired.

I put up 8’ strip lights in the shop at rhe Farm when we built it back in the 90’s. I retrofitted them last year to LED lamps, and removed the ballasts. So far, so good. Each strip uses 4 - 4’ lamps. Each is 1795 lumens at 5,000k color temp. There are 10 fixtures in a 40x40 space. 12’ eave height, about 14’ at the peak.

When I build my own shop, I will do a similar intensity pattern, and likely add 0-10v dimming and vacancy sensors.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #23
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

About four years ago I went to Lowe's, bought four or five, LED lights. They look like florescent light fixtures, but they are much brighter. I am not sure which ones they are, going by memory, I think they were about $52 each. I built a area for metal working, I set up both of my welders, mill and lathe within that area. I built a steel tubing frame to hang the lights from. Those lights turned out to be brighter than the four lights that have been in the shop, since before I moved in. Those lights are some large industrial light fixtures out of a large warehouse. I can turn on the LEDs, then turn off the large industrial lights, it's hard to tell I did anything. Those LEDs are bright, I don't remember what Lumen their rating is, but it must be pretty good. My electric bill went down noticeably, once I started replacing the old lights with LEDs.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #24
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:

Thanks for the pic.

I'm needing lights for a 30x40 with 16' eaves and 14' to the bottom of the truss

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Thanks for the pic.

I'm needing lights for a 30x40 with 16' eaves and 14' to the bottom of the truss

Mine has a 4/12 roof pitch with a 16’ center and 12’ side walls.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #26
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Mine has a 4/12 roof pitch with a 16’ center and 12’ side walls.
Are those the 5k?

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #27
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I retro fit the ones the same size as my old 4 foot fluorescent tubes. They put out a lot of light. No noise and no heat. I don’t think you can go wrong with the new technology LED lighting.
I've been doing that at our company offices. It requires removing the ballast and some very easy rewiring inside the fixture. I'm not doing them all at once. I've stopped buying fluorescents and ballasts and am replacing with LEDs as things fail. We have over 60 fixtures to eventually convert over to LED and I've only done 8 so far. It's not too difficult or two expensive just doing on an as needed basis one office (4 fixtures) at a time.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #28
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
I've been doing that at our company offices. It requires removing the ballast and some very easy rewiring inside the fixture. I'm not doing them all at once. I've stopped buying fluorescents and ballasts and am replacing with LEDs as things fail. We have over 60 fixtures to eventually convert over to LED and I've only done 8 so far. It's not too difficult or two expensive just doing on an as needed basis one office (4 fixtures) at a time.

You know they have LED t8’s that go right into the fixtures, right? No rewire required.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #29
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
You know they have LED t8’s that go right into the fixtures, right? No rewire required.

Yes, but it's better in the long run to get rid of the ballasts. One less thing go out and the ballasts generate quite a bit of heat and use more electricity. The bulbs still plug in the same way and the rewiring is very simple. You don't necessarily even have to remove the ballasts, just wire around them. But I prefer to take them out completely and have more room in the fixture.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Are those the 5k?

Yes, 5K which just represents the color tint. 5K is more natural daylight white light.
40W, 5000K, 4000 Lumen.

Sunco Lighting 4 Pack Industrial LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Integrated Fixture, 40W=260W, 5000K Daylight, 4000 LM, Surface + Suspension Mount, Pull Chain, Utility Light, Garage- Energy Star https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D94M16B..._.7uVEb8YJAD78

Old 05-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #31
JayB
Ten Point

I contacted primelights, as suggested above. They recommended 4 lights in my standard residential garage. About $300 for the 3 bulb fixtures. I will report back when received and installed.

Thanks for starting this thread...something else I forgot I needed until it was discussed on TBH.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #32
Bill
Pope & Young

You’re welcome. I await your report !

Old 05-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #33
JayB
Ten Point

I installed lights this weekend. Removed my old can lights and mounted these to the surface. Wow! I am glad I went with their suggestion of 4 fixtures with 3 lamps per fixture. They give great light.

I have a regular 2 car garage with 8' ceiling. My wife says she can do her projects now as if she had full sun shining in.

.....and God Bless America.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #34
Bill
Pope & Young

JayB- can I ask what those lights cost? The housings look like metal?

Old 05-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #35
JayB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
JayB- can I ask what those lights cost? The housings look like metal?

Bill these were about $75 each. The housing is metal and the tubes are plastic and contain the LED. They delivered very fast. I would submit your space measurements so they can give you suggestions on # of lamps and quantity of light.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:35 AM   #36
Bill
Pope & Young

Our checked with our builder (and son) who has these in his shop. He is really happy with the light and installation. I ordered 8.

Thanks to everybody who provided inputs. I like the vendor’s name in the upper left, too.

God bless Texas. Even if it’s a little humid!

Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #37
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

I second PrimeLights. I just put 4 of the high bay 6 tube LED’s I’m my 30x40x14. Lights the whole place up and almost no shadows. It is BRIGHT in there. Great product and they are very good to talk with.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #38
DosToros
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County, Oklahoma, Kansas

You said flush mount. Are you mounting these to a Traditions flat ceiling or trusses like many have posted pictures of?
DosToros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #39
JayB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosToros View Post
You said flush mount. Are you mounting these to a Traditions flat ceiling or trusses like many have posted pictures of?
Mine went to a traditional build flat ceiling but they can mount to a truss also, I am sure.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:23 PM   #40
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
I dont have a pic handy. But I got UFO high bay LEDS on TBH recommendation from a previous thread from primelights.com out of austin.

30x50 building, 16' eave height, 21' peak. Primelights recommended 6 at 19k lumens each. More than enough, im super happy w them.
I'd love to see the picture.

I bought 8 of their UFOs based off the other thread as well. I have a 40 x 60 with 14' eave height. It's a pole barn so they will all be mounted at the 14' height equally.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2020, 06:27 PM   #41
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

I have these in garage and like them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HW...b_b_asin_title
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top