Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine
Question Boat Battery Question?

Im adding a 4th battery to my boat to get alot off of my cranking battery. I have two 12 volts deep cycles under my console which power my 24 volt trolling motor. My two graphs and two talons are hooked up on the cranking battery. I am wanting to put an extra battery in the back for these items and get them off my cranking battery. My question is should I go with a deep cycle only or go with a dual purpose deep cycle/ cranking marine battery?
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
lovetohunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

You could go with a lead acid or you could go with a lithium type battery and save some weight.
lovetohunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
rocky
Pope & Young

Dual purpose for the cranking amps.
rocky is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
mikerosa
Eight Point

I rigged my Stratos with 4 batteries.

2 batteries of 27 group size for trolling. 24 group size for cranking and another 24 for the live well hat I added a aquarium bubbler into for maximum oxygen.

Had them all hooked to my Ancient Mariner tender. Plug in and all get charged as needed and auto switch off once fully charged. Worked well for years and I fished tourneys on Big O constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Dual purpose battery.

FWIW I would use a switch (Perko or blue sea) to set one up as cranking and the the other as a “house battery” to run all your electronics other than trolling motor but still be available for backup cranking if needed.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
Dual purpose battery.

FWIW I would use a switch (Perko or blue sea) to set one up as cranking and the the other as a “house battery” to run all your electronics other than trolling motor but still be available for backup cranking if needed.
THIS
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Headhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle Co

On mine I run a cranking battery for motor only 24 series, and 3 27 series that are deep cycle, on those 3 I run the trolling motor radio, speaker, and everything else. Just changed the 3 last week after 6 years. Also have a quad batt charger on boat.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

For a 4th, and for what your wanting to do with them, I'd go with a DP. That way if your cranking battery ever went down, you'd have a back-up starting battery.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

I'm only running 4 batteries. 36volts for trolling only and one for cranking and everything else, biggest AGM cranking battery interstate makes and I have never had an issue. 250proxs needs a full 12volts to just turn over. Don't rely on your motor to charge your battery, have a 4 bank charger and you're good.
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

I just did this exact same thing last weekend. I put in a Group 29 deep cycle in to run graphs and I may move my power pole over to it in the future. It will not be used to crank the big motor but I had gotten to the point where the cranking battery had too many accessories on it and some of my graphs would freeze up when I started my motor.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksig512 View Post
I'm only running 4 batteries. 36volts for trolling only and one for cranking and everything else, biggest AGM cranking battery interstate makes and I have never had an issue. 250proxs needs a full 12volts to just turn over. Don't rely on your motor to charge your battery, have a 4 bank charger and you're good.
I have mine set up like yours now but with 2 dedicated for trolling(24volts) and everything else on my cranking. 2 graphs and 2 talons. I also have a 3 bank charger running to each battery. I was thinking maybe I have to much on the cranking. Never any issues but installing bigger graphs this week I thought may be best to separate them.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Mine is set up with 2 “house” batteries that can do everything, and one 36v lithium for TM.
2 main batteries are both optima blue tops. I typically start my day with the perko set to “both” while I run to my first spot, so I make sure they are both getting a charge. Then I switch to one when I get there and stay with it all day. Next day I go out I choose the other. This way I always have a hot backup.

Not sure if this is the best way of operation but I’ve never run one down enough to. It be able to start the outboard. Also never had a charger on any of them, as the motor charges the lithium while running, too.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

31m optima blue top or the AGM Duracell from Sams would be my suggestion. The Duracell is the best bang for the buck IMO
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #14
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I'd go dual purpose with a switch so you will have that extra battery available to start with if you ever mess up and drain the cranking battery. If you use the blue sea "add a battery" kit, it includes a charging relay so it'll charge your second battery from your alternator/stator after the cranking battery is topped off. If you go with a basic perko you'll have to switch to battery 2 to charge it when needed.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/765...ery_Kit_-_120A
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top