2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD LT - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD LT - Opinions

Looking to get opinions on the 2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD LT 2wd. Mom seems to have found one for a killer deal with only 17k miles. Truck has the 6.6 diesel with the Allison transmission. She's pretty much set on getting it and will plan to have it as long as the truck lasts. Wanting to hear form anyone who currently has one. Thanks in advance!

2017 may still have some warranty left.
    Best powertrain on the market.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Only gripe in that particular truck for me would be it aint 4wd. I have a 2018 and love it so far. I thought my 2009 was a smooth ride until i drove this one some.
      She will like it for sure.

Comment

I have a 2015 that I’m approaching the 6 year ownership mark on. It’s been outstanding. Pretty sure it’s the same drivetrain, but the 2017 might be different.

As long as it fits the bill for what she needs, it should be a good truck. Don’t see a ton of 2 wheel drive 3500’s around.

Comment

Yeah the 2WD is my only hold up. I have searched all over the place. Pretty much every car sales website you can find and have not found but one that was 2wd. She shouldnt ever be off road where she would really ned it. Mainly pulling a horse trailer to different barrel races.

Comment

I wouldn’t own a 2WD truck, but if it works for you then go for it.

Comment

I have a 2017 but 4x4 its my second favorite truck.

Comment

duramax

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                Looking to get opinions on the 2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD LT 2wd. Mom seems to have found one for a killer deal with only 17k miles. Truck has the 6.6 diesel with the Allison transmission. She's pretty much set on getting it and will plan to have it as long as the truck lasts. Wanting to hear form anyone who currently has one. Thanks in advance!
                I buy trucks every year and have always been a GM guy but I will say, Ford has my favorite HD truck at the moment. So here are some things to keep in mind, not trying to convince you one way or another:

2017 was the very first year of the new 6.6 Duramax, it is named the L5P. This is a completely different engine from previous duramaxes. From what I hear, seems to be a decent engine, have seen several injector issues and small emission related issues which can happen on all new diesels.

The truck itself is nice but extremely outdated compared to the other 2 big boys.

Tow capacity will be down on GM vs. the others.

If you ever plan to delete better dig deep in your pockets, GM has locked the computer it is a very expensive to delete/tune the L5P.

The DEF tank hangs low and the fill location is under the hood which is a bummer.

The Allison is good unless you put some power to it, they don't hold up with a big tune.

Just giving you the negatives in case you were not aware but they are good trucks. Also, 2wd resale will suck but that is probably why you are getting a smoking deal on it.

At the end of the day, if you want it grab it.
                Last edited by Hogwild84; 05-02-2020, 07:40 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                X