Converting a vehicle into a ranch ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a vehicle into a ranch ride?

I have been looking at golf carts for NV/thermal hunting at the ranch, but someone recently made me a great offer on an old 4runner. I really need to be able to fold down or temporarily remove the windshield for this to work (thermal can't see through glass and that's how we spot animals as we're driving around), otherwise this is no better than the truck I already have.

Is this a bad idea?

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
    I have been looking at golf carts for NV/thermal hunting at the ranch, but someone recently made me a great offer on an old 4runner. I really need to be able to fold down or temporarily remove the windshield for this to work (thermal can't see through glass and that's how we spot animals as we're driving around), otherwise this is no better than the truck I already have.

Is this a bad idea?
    Get the golf cart, you'll be much happier. Messing with the 4Runner sounds like a pain!

Comment

^The idea of silently rolling around in the dark with thermals does sound pretty appealing. Not sure what kind of terrain you'll be covering though.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        ^The idea of silently rolling around in the dark with thermals does sound pretty appealing. Not sure what kind of terrain you'll be covering though.
        It's really just ranch roads with the occasional jaunt through high grass.

Comment

It's really just ranch roads with the occasional jaunt through high grass.
          Dang... sounds like an electric cart with some decent tires could be a night hunting machine! Maybe a LED bar? Not sure how far the red LED bars throw usable light.

There's even a built in "spotting platform" if you have one with the golf bag rack on back

Comment

Any more ideas?

Comment

Chop the roof off.
              Put up a folding jeep or UTV style windshield.

Comment

I had a baja bug with removable windshield. Cut off the back of the seal so it just sat in the window frame. Had 4 tabs to hold it down

Comment

I’d go 4Runner. Golf carts suck on maintence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I chopped a jeep grand Cherokee as a ranch ride. Nobody wants to ride in a polaris anymore. I'm an alpha male so I don't need a windshield.

Last edited by M16; 07-02-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

That’s a crazy looking Cherokee.

Comment

Any more ideas?
                        https://youtu.be/K8UoWckCJ90

Maybe this....

Comment

Or what about a jeep? O and the cherokee is very kool chopped!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            I chopped a jeep grand Cherokee as a ranch ride. Nobody wants to ride in a polaris anymore. I'm an alpha male so I don't need a windshield.

That's completely ******!! Who did the work?

Comment

That's completely ******!! Who did the work?
                              I did everything except the "roll bar." Got that done at a muffler shop. The hardest part would be taking all the glass out. I used a .44 magnum and a vacuum cleaner. Cover the seats with a tarp first. Then get to work with a sawsall. It helps to have a hoist to hold the top up. I used the forks on my tractor.

Paint job is Walmart rattle can. Did a light sanding job and then wiped it down with mineral spirits. Then sprayed away. Original color was white. I installed receiver hitches front and back. And have done some more stuff since this picture was taken.

It was purchased in the classifieds here for $1500. I put about another $1000 into it with the hitches, paint, new radiator, etc. Sweat equity for the labor. Very comfortable to ride in and has a heater for those cold mornings.

Comment

Working...
                              X