Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about my .270 wsm

Gun savvy TBHers:

About 8 years ago at a conservation club dinner I won a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior in .270 wsm. Being mostly a bow hunter, the rifle sat in the box for years. Last year, I set it up w/ a scope, bought some (expensive!) ammunition, and went to the range, where it just about blew my shoulder off (or so it felt to me). But I got it zero'd at 100 yards easily.

So, folks, what's up w/ this caliber? I can't find much literature online, and y'all usually have a lot of knowledge. What's it for? How does it differ from a regular .270? Is this a good gun? If so, what's it good for? What should I know about it?

Thanks ahead of time for your input!

I believe that’s the same caliber the guy from MEATeater on the outdoor channel uses.. kills everything from sheep to elk ... DRT

Comment

its a bad mf round... nuff said

Comment

I love my 270wsm. Shoots a little faster than a regular 270 making it a really flat shooting gun.

Comment

With heavier 6.5 bullets coming out, I'd give the nod to a 6.5 prc over 270 wsm.

Comment

It's a good caliber, probably the closest thing it compares to is the 270 Weatherby Mag. Definitely more than a 270 Win. Very flat shooting round, should make a good open plains gun, something where you are going to be taking 500+ yard shots. A buddy of mine has one, he loves it.

The short fat case design, is a modern thing, to improve the way the powder burns. In theory, it should burn the powder more consistently, than a long magnum caliber. Then you also get more barrel to burn the powder in, with the same length barrel, over a long case magnum. That's not going to result in huge differences, but it adds a little velocity to the overall velocity numbers.

Should be a great round for pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail, big horn sheep, ECT. Basically medium sized game at medium to long ranges. It will work on game as big as elk, but you should probably pick your shots wisely. With the velocities that thing pushes bullets, they could easily blow up, if you hit a larger animal in the wrong spot. With the right shots, it should be very deadly.

Comment

I've been hunting with my Browning Abolt .270WSM for years and it's without a doubt a stone cold killer. From hogs, to deer and elk.. great round! If I could find another one I would buy it!!!!

Comment

I don't have any experience with it, but I'll ask, what are your plans for it?

Do you want a one "do-all" rifle? A rifle for you and your kids to shoot? Plinking and a little hunting? A deer/pig rifle?

It may fit your bill for what you want, or you may be able to sell it and put some funds toward something else (based on the blew my shoulder off comment).

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  It's a good caliber, probably the closest thing it compares to is the 270 Weatherby Mag. Definitely more than a 270 Win. Very flat shooting round, should make a good open plains gun, something where you are going to be taking 500+ yard shots. A buddy of mine has one, he loves it.

The short fat case design, is a modern thing, to improve the way the powder burns. In theory, it should burn the powder more consistently, than a long magnum caliber. Then you also get more barrel to burn the powder in, with the same length barrel, over a long case magnum. That's not going to result in huge differences, but it adds a little velocity to the overall velocity numbers.

Should be a great round for pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail, big horn sheep, ECT. Basically medium sized game at medium to long ranges. It will work on game as big as elk, but you should probably pick your shots wisely. With the velocities that thing pushes bullets, they could easily blow up, if you hit a larger animal in the wrong spot. With the right shots, it should be very deadly.
                  I have a BLR in 270 wsm. It is fine for all our big game. I took my last shiras moose with it. Put him down hard.
                  I load bonded bullets and prefer 140 gr if I can find them .
                  Very flat shooting and I have no issues with recoil.
                  Never had any issues with any bullets I have loaded for it but I always load bonded bullets.
                  I would find out what loads it likes and hunt with it. I put a B&C reticle Leupold scope on mine and took the first animals out at 360 yds, a coyote.
                  Was able to take a nice pronghorn buck at 452 yds as well.
                  Great caliber for hunting in wide open spaces, it will reach out there.
                  If not for my 300wsm I would hunt it for everything.

Comment

I have a Remington 700 XCR in 270 WSM that I bought new in 2009. I shot the 110 grain Barnes bullets out of it and love the results on most Texas game animals it dirt nap time. I did put a muzzle brake on it and it reduced the felt recoil. Bad is that it is louder than ever.

Comment

If you are recoil sensitive (aka girlyman) then any WSM ain't for you. They are not as bad as a Weatherby but the fat cases hold a lot of powder and they usually have a fast efficient burning powder loaded in the rounds so the recoil is kinda sharp. I love my custom .338 WSM. I roll my own with Win 760 or H414 with either 185 Barnes TSX or 200 Accubonds. The .338 pills chrono 3050 to 3240 fps. Almost the same as a Lazzaroni Galaxy. I also have a Savage 110 in 7mm WSM. It's a shooter too.

PS: there's a reason for my screen name

Comment

I have a Browning Abolt in 270WSM and it will give you a jolt when you shoot it. But so far everything I have shot with it has been down in their tracks. I probably need to go the muzzle break route on it if I keep it. Just picked up a Browning 6.5CR so that may be my go to for deer now.

Comment

I have Browning stainless Stslkers in both .300 WSM and .270 WSM.

The .300 is kinda hard on me. The .270 WSM is the best gun I’ve owned. Easy to shoot and completely devastating on anything I shoot.

Might be your stock or ammo ? I’m using Winchester Supreme Ballistic tip 130 grain in the black box. The gun I went looking for was the 7mm WSM which is a bit flatter than the .270 WSM but none in stock so I grabbed the .270 WSM.

I don’t see what the 7mm WSM can do that I can’t. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=muzzlebrake;14918335]If you are recoil sensitive (aka girlyman) then any WSM ain't for you.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am, or am not, perhaps maybe, or maybe not, a 'girlyman'.

But, honestly, because I rarely rifle hunt, I was at the range thinking to myself, "That seems like quite the recoil....do I feel this way just because I don't shoot enough and I'm not used to it? Or does this rifle just have a heckuva kick?"

Comment

.270 WSM doesn't kick. I never noticed a difference between it and a regular .270, .308, 30-06, etc. Just get out and shoot more.

It's a great round. It's better at distance compared to a .270 WIN because of the higher velocities. It's a pretty flat shooting round. I sold mine simply because ammo is expensive and hard to find. If I reloaded, I would still have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X