Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple volt tester for feeder batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got these laying all over the place. Truck, cabin, polaris etc. Used them for years

Comment

Harbor Freight.

Comment

This is by far the simplest battery tester. no batteries necessary. It even has a built in screw driver

Battery tester for 6 and 12 volt batteries with retractable probe and pocket clip. This unique tester will fit easily into your shirt pocket and the small folding screwdriver set built in can also be used as a probe. Check batteries in autos, trucks, boats, airplanes, motorcycles, waverunners, snowmobiles, tractors, 4-wheelers, etc.

Comment

I just keep two sets of batteries for each feeder, trade them out when I'm at the ranch, and recharge them at home.

Since buying a battery charger it has become apparent "new" batteries are rarely fully charged off the shelf...

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
            I just keep two sets of batteries for each feeder, trade them out when I'm at the ranch, and recharge them at home.

Since buying a battery charger it has become apparent "new" batteries are rarely fully charged off the shelf...
            That's also what i've been doing. But, some of the batteries don't seem to be taking / holding a charge too well. I think they only have "so many" years in them. I want to check the voltage before i swap, and also check voltage to know when to swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post

Why would you not get a solar charger and only swap batteries every 4-6 years?

Comment

I have several fluke 870's but they cost way more than what you are looking for. any digital multi meter will do. if you get one that can measure amps then all the better to check the current draw from the motor. i rebuild a lot of feeders and it comes in handy

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  ^^^this^^^ running lead acid batteries completely down will greatly shorten there life span.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    solar is great..when you got access to SUN..I got several spots that are great feeders and spots but don't get enough sun to charge battery...Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                      solar is great..when you got access to SUN..I got several spots that are great feeders and spots but don't get enough sun to charge battery...Just a thought

A solar in indirect sunlight or even some shade would do better than no solar at all...you don't need full/direct sun to power a feeder battery solar panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                        tongue.................
                        That was my 1st thought when I saw the thread earlier today.

Comment

OP, I don't have any of the HF freebies. My wife said I gave them as Christmas presents several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                            OP, I don't have any of the HF freebies. My wife said I gave them as Christmas presents several years ago.
                            No worries. Made the trip to HF last night. In business. Appreciate the thought.

Comment

When you measure the voltage of the battery, measure it when the motor is running. The reason I say this is if you only test the voltage without the motor running it may look like the battery is good by measuring 12.8V but when you measure with a load if the voltage drops way off then the battery is bad. For example, you measure the battery without the motor running and it measures 12.8 but then you measure it with the motor running and it measures 11.0, the battery is not good, if it only drops to around 12.4 it is good. A fully charged 12V feeder battery should be around 13.2V but I've seen them go as high as 13.6 when you pull them off the charger but after they sit a little while they will drop to around 13.2V. Also, don't measure the voltage with the solar panel hooked up when it's light out because the solar panel will be putting out over 12V and this could give you a false reading. You don't have to unhook the solar panel, you can simply cover the solar panel with something so it's not getting any light to it.

Comment

good info. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X