Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Ag Exempt Land ?

I bought a 10 acre tract under Ag/Timber exemption back in April
    The deed is not recorded with the county yet under my name as owner. I do have hard copy of deed in hand
    Am I able to file a form via Texas comptroller to get an Ag exemption registration # yet or do I have to wait until the deed is filed at the county seat?
    Thanks

Your exemption from the seller is in place until December 31st. You need to file before 5/1/22 for next year. But why in the world would you NOT file the deed right away? Did you not close through a title Co? Assume you didn't have title insurance then? I would record my interest with them immediately.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      Your exemption from the seller is in place until December 31st. You need to file before 5/1/22 for next year. But why in the world would you NOT file the deed right away? Did you not close through a title Co? Assume you didn't have title insurance then? I would record my interest with them immediately.

Closed with Title company & they handle filing the deed but it moves at typical government filing pace

Comment

How do I get the Ag registration # from previous owner in order to use it?

Comment

Are you asking about sales tax exemption? If so you can just go online and get that at the Texas Comptroller site.

Comment

You use the tax ID # for your lot from the county assessor (this doesn't change even after the sale). You file the state 1-d-1 form with your county (not the state).

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
              Are you asking about sales tax exemption? If so you can just go online and get that at the Texas Comptroller site.
              Thanks for catching that. I was reading it as property tax exemption. He may very well be talking sales tax. Agree with you on that. No need to wait to apply for that.

Comment

Yes Ag registration # for sales tax exempt on buying a tractor. So I just go online and look it up under previous owner name or is it based on tract ID?

Comment

Fill out the form AP-228

Forms for the agricultural and timber industry claiming exempton from tax with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                    Yes Ag registration # for sales tax exempt on buying a tractor. So I just go online and look it up under previous owner name or is it based on tract ID?
                    You have to apply for a number for yourself. You can’t use the prior owners number.

Comment

Apply for it yourself. Read through the form it will make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                        You have to apply for a number for yourself. You can’t use the prior owners number.
                        What he said. Super easy to do online with Secretary of State. Now each vendor may require your to do their own internal registration too.

Make sure you do file the Ag Use Exemption with the county. It has to be refiled under the new owner. I ran into this situation recently on an investment property.

Go to the courthouse and file the deed yourself. It should be plug and play. The clerks should be super helpful…ours are. If the clerk balks…theyre lazy and start barking up their chain of command.

Good luck MrHunter.

Comment

Working...
                        X