Alamo Precision Build Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alamo Precision Build Suggestions

I'm in the planning stages of having Alamo build me a rifle and am trying to figure out exactly what I want. I'm thinking I want to do their Ranger series in a 6mm Creed with a 20" barrel. This will be my first custom rifle and will kind of be an all purpose long range rig that'll be used for coyotes, pigs, deer, etc. It'll be ran suppressed 100% of the time, so I'd like to keep the barrel as short as I can without loosing a lot of performance. Like I said, I'm thinking 6 creed, but am open to suggestions on the caliber.

I'm definitely going to upgrade to at least the Trigger Tech Special, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and bump up to the Diamond. Is there anything else that y'all would recommend upgrading or anything that you wished you had done differently on your builds?

Bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6mm Creed in 20” should give you all you need.
      AR variation comes in 18” which you might consider that length since your gonna run it suppressed. Most cans are gonna add 4+” to your build.
      Your biggest issue in 2021 is finding ammo even as a reloader. Many new calibers are playing in the 6mm/.243 world. So if you know it’s gonna take a few months for the build start buying ammo NOW.

Comment

Those APR Rangers are good looking guns. I would suggest going with a PROOF barrel. Shave a little weight.

Comment

6 Creed has been pretty readily available this whole time in comparison to any other cartridges. It’s the one caliber I haven’t had trouble finding. If you get desperate I can always bring some from Midland, which is pretty much available everytime I go. I think they’ve been out once in my weekly stops, but they’re $36-40 a box for Hornady Match and Precision Hunter. Out of my price range, but not bad in reality compared to everything else.

As far as rifle goes 6 Creed is my favorite factory available round, and it’s more than capable.There’s quite a few stacks of hogs that have fallen to it and a buddy with his 243. If it’s going to be your do all rifle I’d stick with 20-22”. If it’s more of a truck/blind gun I’d consider 18” due to the shorter nature of most shots taken. That said I wouldn’t hesitate to poke a deer at 400-450 with an 18” 6. If I was to build a new 6 currently it would be Defiance AnTi, Xcal carbon 18” 8 twist in their ultralight contour, AG Composite Hunter, Trigger Tech Special and topped with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16 MILC with an 8” Area 419 Arca rail. I’ve already got the 24” 6 Creed covered though. This would be strictly a truck rifle slinging 90 ELDXs ran pretty dam warm. Brass or barrel life wouldn’t be a concern for that particular build.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            6 Creed has been pretty readily available this whole time in comparison to any other cartridges. It’s the one caliber I haven’t had trouble finding. If you get desperate I can always bring some from Midland, which is pretty much available everytime I go. I think they’ve been out once in my weekly stops, but they’re $36-40 a box for Hornady Match and Precision Hunter. Out of my price range, but not bad in reality compared to everything else.

As far as rifle goes 6 Creed is my favorite factory available round, and it’s more than capable.There’s quite a few stacks of hogs that have fallen to it and a buddy with his 243. If it’s going to be your do all rifle I’d stick with 20-22”. If it’s more of a truck/blind gun I’d consider 18” due to the shorter nature of most shots taken. That said I wouldn’t hesitate to poke a deer at 400-450 with an 18” 6. If I was to build a new 6 currently it would be Defiance AnTi, Xcal carbon 18” 8 twist in their ultralight contour, AG Composite Hunter, Trigger Tech Special and topped with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16 MILC with an 8” Area 419 Arca rail. I’ve already got the 24” 6 Creed covered though. This would be strictly a truck rifle slinging 90 ELDXs ran pretty dam warm. Brass or barrel life wouldn’t be a concern for that particular build.

Dammit Anthony, you’ve got my wheels spinning now with that AnTi/Carbon setup. I may have to work some more overtime and step up to that build.

What are your thoughts on the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 compared to the 4-16 atacr for a build like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
              Dammit Anthony, you’ve got my wheels spinning now with that AnTi/Carbon setup. I may have to work some more overtime and step up to that build.

What are your thoughts on the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 compared to the 4-16 atacr for a build like that?

I think the ATACR is worth the extra few dollars. I’ve owned a handful of ATACRS and a couple NX8s now, and I’ve yet to buy a NF new. I can snag a like new ATACR 4-16 MILC for roughly $1900-2000. The NX8s run about $1700-1800. I do like the NX8, but not as much as the ATACR. I prefer the turrets on the 42mm ATACR over any other NF turret. The NX8 can be pretty finicky with its parallax, and it’s eyebox isnt as forgiving. Personally the eye box doesn’t bother me, but I wasn’t a fan of the parallax. It’s still a good optic, but I’ll take the ATACR 4-16x42 over it for a $200-400 difference. If we’re talking retail prices I’d probably lean NX8.

Comment

anTi, Proof, MPA ultralite chassis (folder)-- Then pick your poison on the scope and enjoy!!

My 6cm from APR has been awesome and I'm sure the cartridge will work for exactly what you are looking for!

Comment

Appreciate everybody’s input!

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    This ^ with 16-18” barrel. Topped with ATACR 4-16 or Leupold Mk 5 3.6-18

Comment

I've got a 16.5" Mullerworks CF barrel on a 6cm that's a blast to shoot. Currently shooting factory 108 Hornady ELD-M. 5/8" group at 100yd. Plan on doing reloads with 105 Berger Hybrids when I have time

Comment

Mullerworks Barrels are great. I didn't know that Mueller was doing CF's though

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                          Mullerworks Barrels are great. I didn't know that Mueller was doing CF's though
                          I actually got one of their prototype barrel I believe. The CF prototype barrels APR have used have all been shooters

Comment

Ttt for more input.

Comment

Y’all know Bartlein has carbon wrapped now right...

Comment

Working...
                              X