Bible Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bible Help

I have tried to read the Bible. Some of it is hard to really understand what is being said. I am looking for recommendations for a new Bible. Maybe something like a study Bible that will have notes that better explain what I am reading. Any suggestions?

Which version have you been trying to read?

Comment

I like the King James Version but will refer to a New American Standard - Study that helps at times.

Good luck!!

Comment

See if you can find a copy of "The Story" Here it is on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/NIV-Story-eBo.../dp/B004OR18FG

It goes in historical order instead of jumping around in history like the bible.

If you want, I will get a copy to you. Our church, Joy Lutheran used them.

For a bible try the NIV version

Comment

I read a tennagers study bible.... I'm at the back of the classroom

Comment

I like the New Living Translation Every Man's Bible.

Comment

prefer KJV but yes, sometimes it is difficult if not impossible to understand. I'll go to the NIV in those cases.
              Are reading it all the way through or just studying?

Comment

A newer translation is the ESV. English Standard Version...This is the version I use.

Comment

I like ESV, but my favorite study bible was a King James that got lost when I moved. Not really any help on finding a particular study bible, as I've found some "study" ones make it worse lol but maybe just go to a Christian book store and look at a few and check out the studies, see if they're actually interesting to you or if its shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                    I read a tennagers study bible.... I'm at the back of the classroom
                    That’s been a winner for a bunch of us...just saying

Comment

Try the NIV Life Application study bible. I love mine.

Comment

New American Standard is closest to the Greek translation I believe. Then you can pick up a couple of commentaries to help you through thought provoking verses. Walvoord and Zuck is an excellent commentary to start with. But before any of that, pray and thank God for His Word to us and to give you a receptive spirit. You can read your Bible for decades and still have a verse jump out at you that you would swear you’ve never seen. Ask, Seek, and Knock.

Comment

Today's Light gives lessons with an introduction and then an explanation after the verses. Another one is Thompson Chain Reference.

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are wanting to read Gods word. It will change your life.
                            You can go to biblegateway.com and read from just about every version available to see what works for you.
                            Also there are several different translations as in, word for word or paraphrasing and you can read about them at faithfoundedonfact.com
                            This is a small piece I copied that outlines the different translations. It's very informative. I hope this helps you out.

Accurate Bible Translations Compared

There are 3 main approaches for Bible translations. Here is a list:

-Word-for-Word (Formal Equivalence)

-Thought-for-Thought (Dynamic Equivalence)

-Paraphrase

Each approach has its strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Holman Christian Standard or CSB would be a good choice. They have a study Bible as well.

ESV is going to be another good translation. The ESV study Bible is available and widely used.

If you really like the King James, try the New King James. It maintains the same translation principles as the KJV but is a little more readable.

The other advise I would offer is get with a partner or Partners that are all reading the same sections of Scripture and then y’all can discuss it.

I have alway been a fan of the New American Standard, but it can be a little difficult to read at times. That being said, If I was gonna buy a Bible for someone wanting to read the Bible more regularly, I would have a hard time buying anything other than the CSB.

Comment

Working...
                              X