Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Tax - Got statement for 2020

Geez They raised it the max 10%

How in Hades do people afford property tax? I live in one of the oldest subdivisions/neighborhood in Leander. House is 1,180 sq/ft build in the 70's.

Freaking thieves want $4,750 for 2020.... Say it's value is now 200k

So if my POS house is that much what in the world are all these people in new 3-8k sq/ft brand new homes with pools paying? $10-30k per year in tax?

So if I rent my home out the first $400 per month goes to the tax man...LOL I better not hear on TV how landlords charge to much to renters.

Rant over.

i hear you. mine goes up every year and is now around $13k per year.

Comment

They just proposed a 9.6% raise on my house. I will try to fight it.. We will see how that goes...

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Geez They raised it the max 10%

How in Hades do people afford property tax? I live in one of the oldest subdivisions/neighborhood in Leander. House is 1,180 sq/ft build in the 70's.

Freaking thieves want $4,750 for 2020.... Say it's value is now 200k

So if my POS house is that much what in the world are all these people in new 3-8k sq/ft brand new homes with pools paying? $10-30k per year in tax?

So if I rent my home out the first $400 per month goes to the tax man...LOL I better not hear on TV how landlords charge to much to renters.

Rant over.
        Man, I have numerous friends in the $40K-$70K range. No way in hades would I be able to stomach that. You never own your house--just rent it from the county/school district etc.

Comment

This is the biggest scam ever. There should be a law or a state constitutional amendment mandating that whatever an appraisal district sets the value of your house you either have to pay those taxes or they have to buy it from you for that amount plus all applicable fees.

Comment

We left Texas to move back home here to Wyoming in 2010. The last year we were there our property taxes were right at $7500 dollars per year and while the house was only 5 years old when we sold it, it was not really all that special in my opinion. I would hate to know what the taxes are on that house today.
            It is funny because you always hear, even from people up here, about how cheap it is to live in Texas. NOT TRUE! BTW, we don't have state income tax here either. In my opinion, there is no incentive to pay your home office in Texas because your property taxes are still what I would consider a mortgage payment.

Comment

Just got my statement today from Brazoria County and they increased it a full 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                This is the biggest scam ever. There should be a law or a state constitutional amendment mandating that whatever an appraisal district sets the value of your house you either have to pay those taxes or they have to buy it from you for that amount plus all applicable fees.
                I like this idea.

However, I have always said any tax increases should be based on the growth or shrinkage of GDP.

Comment

My taxes are $5700 a year which is cheap for the neighborhood I live in. I really try not to complain, even though I think property taxes are a racket.

I wonder how some people pay them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe they are trying to make up for losses from the Disability exemptions and age-based tax caps.

Comment

Not that it makes it easier to digest, but many states have you pay 5-7% income tax and then you have the pleasure of property taxes.
                      I know folks hate income taxes, but only generating revenue through property taxes is regressive for low income earners. If I make 500k a year I can choose to live in a nice house assessed at 250-450k. I pay no state income tax so I think the 5000 k a year is low. If I make 100k and live in the same house, the percent I give to the state government is higher than the wealthier person proportionally.
                      With commercial revenue and sales taxes being zapped expect taxes to increase also.

Comment

Mine have gone up the max of 10% (max increase allowed by law) every year since the RE market started going up a few years ago. But my "proposed tax payment" increase is 25% of the 2019 payment. My adjusted market value went up almost 30%. It used to be that half my total taxes were school taxes. Half of my total taxes are city taxes now.

Anybody wanna buy a house? In town?

Comment

Property tax should freeze at the purchase value. That way you know what you're gonna pay until you sell it.

Comment

Stated above...… You don't own your house...………
                            You rent it, from the state...……….
                            You do own, your car.....(if it's paid for)………
                            But, you can't use it, without the state's permission...…………and used only
                            under their guidelines...…..
                            Property ownership, is a myth...…….
                            But..... the state.... does own you...………..

Oh, but wait until the next election cycle...………..
                            Every politician, will be extolling his, (or her's) plan for property tax
                            overhaul...… And ask yourself..... What have you seen....??
                            IMHO-------------

Comment

Got me for 9%

Comment

Working...
                              X