Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is goose hunting non existent in Eagle Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is goose hunting non existent in Eagle Lake?

I grew up flat out ate up with goose and duck hunting. We had a lease outside of Garwood and I could not wait till season started every year. I was just fascinated by geese and spent my money on calls, decoys, clothes, kites......for goose hunting. (Couldn’t pay me to lay in a muddy rice field anymore). Today driving from Fulshear through Eagle Lake on back roads I didn’t see 1 goose. I know we used to hunt them early in November, while they were usually not plentiful there were geese here early November. Do geese just not come down to the prairie anymore? It was kind of sad driving the area and not seeing a concentration moving across the sky.
    Last edited by Stuck; 11-19-2019, 09:30 PM.

It pretty much is in Matagorda county

Comment

Flyway has shifted do to farmers switching crops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are less and less every year. Species of ducks are changing as well that stay through the season. Evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post

Thank LRCA for chopping up the rice field water

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
            It pretty much is in Matagorda county
            Yup. 100% due to the LCRA. When they pulled the water usage, the rice production went down and then the birds left.

Growing up, I hunted matagorda county and birds were everywhere. By the late 90's to the early 2000's the hunting got terrible. You can still scratch out some ducks, but the geese are gone.

Comment

West Wharton county and Jackson county still have geese but it’s not anything like it used to be. Our area still grows a fair amount of rice and that’s why we have birds.

This was taken at my place 2 weeks ago. We had a 100 bird shoot last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                West Wharton county and Jackson county still have geese but it’s not anything like it used to be. Our area still grows a fair amount of rice and that’s why we have birds.

This was taken at my place 2 weeks ago. We had a 100 bird shoot last week.

So there are some geese. I remember in the 80’s when the first couple of fronts blew through you would hear flight after flight heading south. This year I’ve heard 1 goose about 3 weeks ago. I realize there are not nearly as many rice fields as 30yrs ago, but it’s just amazing and sad to me. Where did they go? I assume the geese are wintering north of here. What’s making them stop there after decades of flying to the coast?

Comment

They’re going to Arkansas. We started hunting them over there. I grew up in Markham chasing snow geese since I was old enough to help my dad and grandpa put out rags. When I get over that way, I cruise back roads and it’s rare to see a goose. When you do see them it’s just a small group. Nothing like it used to be. There are still some around Garwood/El Campo, we’ve had some decent shoots when everything lines up but I quit chasing them over here.

Comment

Back in the early 80's There was a rice field, about 200 ac, behind my place. Lots of geese then. Then a new FM road got put through it. Place got sold off & broken up into small acreages and no more rice. So I haven't seen any geese there since the early 90's.
                    Used to be a fair amount of rice grown in Brazoria County that drew geese, but next to none now.

Comment

The Karnes City area has more geese each year now than I can ever remember. It looks like the eagle lake area did 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post

THIS

Comment

I think they all flew up here. I really wish they’d go back down there, huge nuisance!

A lot more food here and since they’ve found it, I doubt they ever leave.

Comment

Geese don’t eat cotton

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
                              The Karnes City area has more geese each year now than I can ever remember. It looks like the eagle lake area did 20 years ago.
                              We don't have near as many as we used to. When I was in high school, every wheat field in the county would be covered in geese.

Now, the only geese we ever see are at the feed lots West of Karnes City.

Comment

Working...
                              X