Turkey Pot Call recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Pot Call recommendations

Looking to improve my calling from the basic little Primos kit I bought 2 years ago. A buddy of mine seems to use a pot call very effectively when we go out and for an upgrade, I'm going to take that route first.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hit a Cabelas or Bass Pro between now and April, so I may pull the trigger on a $50-$75 range pot call ordered online.

What are you guys using? Give some suggestions on what I should look at, and what I shouldn't in that range.

Turkey Calls of All types. Box calls, slate calls, diaphragm calls, camo and just about everything you need to set out on your turkey hunt.

Lots of good calls here. I have a Halloran Twisted Sister and several Hanks.

Comment

Screamin' Demon II is the best I've ever used. Use scotch brite on it to "tune" it. Also tune the back side for perfect tree yelps.

Comment

Lots of good call makers out there. I have a couple Halloran that I like!

Comment

Diaphragm and this box call are all you need. Pot calls are good, but not my first choice.
          Attached Files

Comment

I will give a shout out to Derrick Stuckey and Obsession Calls out of Alabama. I bought his anodized aluminum over glass pot call in Nashville at the NWTF convention two years ago. I know some folks feel an aluminum surface is tough to run, but man....this thing runs well and is raspy and LOUD! Check his other pot calls out as well (I have not tried anymore l, but if they work as good as the one I have then you are golden). Google obsession calls and he comes up.

Comment

Correction, it’s actually Obsession Custom Calls.

The call I have is the Redheart anodized aluminum over glass. It’s my go to pot call and replaces the need (for me) to lug a box call around. It’s that loud.

Comment

I too like the David Halloran calls. His metal mouth is awesome. John Sinclair makes a fantastic titanium call and produces some really nice looking calls out of various woods. He turned a couple custom pink slate calls for my girls this winter. He has a Facebook site. Lonnie Sneed is another well known call maker out of WV. He has a Facebook site that his grandson maintains but give him a call when you order. One of the nicest guys you’ll meet and will talk turkey hunting all day with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Primos Jackpot is a great call for $20.
                  Definitely on the get-the-job-done end of the spectrum and not a family heirloom.

Comment

Hard to beat John Sinclair's custom titanium, copper, brass, ceramic, slate, waterproof slate, glass and crystal calls. They make the rest of the production made calls you buy at the big box stores sound second rate.

Last edited by MASTERS; 03-08-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Been calling birds for over 40 years. My go to call is my CODY. Look at their woodsman series

Comment

I like Hadden Hailers out of Sonora, Ky. Makes top shelf calls all around

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
                          https://www.midwestturkeycall.com

I second this. If you are shooting trad I think you should learn to use a mouth call. That will free you up.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
                            https://www.midwestturkeycall.com

That was an awesome link, thank you for that. I just bought a call I had been looking for but could not find.
                            Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                            Been calling birds for over 40 years. My go to call is my CODY. Look at their woodsman series
                            Had started out looking for a Cody II because that is what my buddy uses and used to call in the first bird I killed and every one since. I looked at the woodsman and then saw that the place above had a cody II so went with that one.
                            Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                            I second this. If you are shooting trad I think you should learn to use a mouth call. That will free you up.
                            I think at the end of the day, it doesnt matter what you shoot, a mouth call is handy to minimize movement. Since I prefer to shoot them out of a popup, I am not terribly concerned about it, and have been successful the last couple years with pot calling and knocking em down with the stick bow at 12 to 15 yards.

I did alot of practicing with a mouth call, and at the end of the day, was just tired of having that thing in my mouth.

I understand it boils down to personal prefernce. They all have thier place... and something about the pot call just fits... maybe because they should last a good long while.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

The Primos Freak glass pot is nice because you strap it to your leg and run it one-handed.

Comment

Working...
                              X