No announcement yet.

300 acres protein or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our family has around 500-600 acres. I’ve had one timed 2000lb protein feeder on my portion of the ranch going on 5yrs now. I feed roughly 2-3 tons per year.

Cameras have allowed me to determine how much to throw per feeding. During these past 5yrs my deer numbers have skyrocketed. Does are fat and healthy and twin fawns are not uncommon. This coming year I really need to focus on removing a few doe, they usually get a pass .Our bucks are fairly small and haven’t made much of a jump, but I have noticed young bucks that would normally be spikes would be fork horns, much more young 6 and 8pts and even a couple of 9 and 10s. The past couple of years the bucks have been really young and have gotten a pass from me. Seems like fewer “roaming” bucks come through.

This past year I had several hunts where I’d have 15-20 deer feeding morning and evening. While this may be common for some, just 10-15years ago on this property I was lucky to see more than a couple deer an entire season.

Feeding protein on my place will never produce the quality of animals some people have, but it’s completely changed our deer density. I enjoy feeding our deer and as time has gone on I get just as much enjoyment watching them being silly curious deer as I do putting one in the freezer.

Comment

I feed cattle creep protein year round or mostly year round at my parents small place in Leon County. Keeps the deer around and makes a difference on the bucks. Cattle creep was like 8.75 a bag I believe just a couple of months ago.

Comment

Not adding anything new here, but we feed protein on just under 300 acres. Sure it helps "the neighbors deer" but it also helps our deer and keeps them on the property and healthier. I try to avoid the "neighbors deer" mentality, because I can't control what they do or don't do, but if I don't feed the herd because of that, it only hurts (or at least doesn't benefit) the same deer I'm trying to hunt. Same thing goes with passing on bucks. We walked 3 deer that were all pretty decent for where we are. 2 survived. None of them would have if we had the "neighbors" mentality.

Do it if you can afford to, I get a kick out of watching them hit the feed. Only downside is you will develop an uncontrollable rage towards raccoons!

Comment

If you can afford it do it. We're in Sutton County where the buck weights of mature deer were 160 lbs. 9 yrs later after pouring protein, cottonseed (last 2 yrs 40K lbs plus) and adding alfalfa now our body weights topped out at 230 last fall. Antlers hit 190 inches gross score - all the deer are showing massive body weight increases over the years and the bucks well lets just say I am really happy with whats happening. It benefits the whole herd-yes your neighbors will pick a few off but if you pound it to them during the winter the does will hang on your place along with the boys

Comment

Appreciate the info guys, im gonna get planning

Comment

A good healthy doe herd is always beneficial to having healthy fawns and our does crush protein. The protein will help keep does on your place and they have the one thing bucks will come looking for and never turn down.

I would put a protein feeder at the two furthest apart corn feeders or at least feeders on different sides of property. 3 protein feeders would be a little over kill in my opinion.

Comment

If your neighbors feed, I wouldn’t. I’d make the place a sanctuary. If you do feed I’d place it square in the middle and use something the neighbors ain’t. If you get them addicted to Record Rack WildBerry blocks you got it made.

Once you get them addicted you stop feeding during the fall except while you are there.

Comment

I don't know how much more I can afford. Even cotton seed it getting high.

Corn (Apple Scented & Regular) $9.30
                  Woerner Mix Milo, Corn, Soybean 14% Protein $13.00
                  Antler Plus Protein Pellets 16% Protein $13.00
                  Rack Rage Deer Attractant 20% Protein $13.00
                  Corn/Soybean Mix 18% Protein $13.50
                  Chaffhaye $13.75
                  Record Rack Protein Pellets 20% Protein $14.00
                  Whole Cotton Seed 50 lbs 22% Protein $14.50
                  Fortified Cotton Seed 50 lbs 22% Protein $15.50
                  Triumph Complete Alfalfa Pellets $15.00
                  Golden Deer Nugget 13% Protein $15.50
                  Buck Developer (Special Order) $20.00