Bible Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
    See if you can find a copy of "The Story" Here it is on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/NIV-Story-eBo.../dp/B004OR18FG

It goes in historical order instead of jumping around in history like the bible.

If you want, I will get a copy to you. Our church, Joy Lutheran used them.

For a bible try the NIV version
    If you've got a few extras, I'd love one ... I've been looking for a chronological order bible.

Comment

Good to see so many men talk openly about their faith and wanting to learn more about or Lord and savior. I've struggled as of late to stay focused and study daily. This thread is a welcome reminder of my need seek and understand his word. I use the "One Year Bible" and I also like listening to the "Bible Project" on Youtube.

Comment

For those who asked, here's the Chronological Bible we used as a group to go through the Bible in a year...

I will also add for the many who have posted here that are already Bible study folks a link to E-Sword. This is a ministry of Rick Meyers. He has assembled the largest, most complete and extensive library of Bibles, Commentaries, Historical data, Devotionals and applications, etc. that I have ever seen. This is my #1 source for deep study, precepts, history, and just plain old enjoyable Bible reading. Everything is "free" on the site except for copyrighted materials such as NIV, NASB, NKJV Bibles and similar commentaries... There are also Bible translations in just about every popular language you'd ever want to refer other to that you may run across in your sphere of influence. It sure helps me prepare for our formalized Bible Study and offers insight that helps me to better explain Scriptures and interpret Scriptures...

You can literally read/compare multiple Bible translations side by side to help gain understanding and such... I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone from the casual Bible reader, to Senior Preaching Pastors...

e-Sword is a feature rich and user friendly free Windows app with everything needed to study the Bible in an enjoyable and enriching manner!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt'n Fool View Post
          A newer translation is the ESV. English Standard Version...This is the version I use.
          Same here. I have a ESV Study Bible. Every page is 1/2 scripture and 1/2 notes and info.

Comment

go to a bible book store were they will have a lot of different versions you can look through in one location. There will be some knowledgeable help there, ask them to show you the difference also ask what they use.

People in the business will have a personal preference, usually because they have had time to see and read through lots of different versions.. what ever you choose try to get a parallel translation with the King James being one of those... the reason is that most bibles have been translated from the KJV... and some bibles have flat out changed not only the words but the meanings as well... read the version you like then you can look right beside it and see if you get the same understanding from the KJV... some publishers will even make a 4 version in the same book,,, only thing wrong with those is that they tend to be big and heavy

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                I read the One Year Bible daily, it gives you OT, NT, Psalms, and Proverbs each day. I use the Full Life Study Bible for in depth study. I also and have J. Vernon Magee's Through the Bible which gets into scripture real deep.

[ATTACH]1006952[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1006953[/ATTACH]
                I'm not charismatic enough for that one. I am more pedestrian these days.

Comment

Get a translation that is easier to understand. But when one starts readying it and earnestly seeking, the Holy Spirit will open one's heart and mind.

Comment

ESV or NLT have always been my go to translations. My physical Bible is the NLT and I use ESV on the Bible app.

One thing that has helped my walk with Christ and really digging into his word is a plan called The Bible Recap with Tara Leigh Cobble on the bible app. There is a one year plan that goes through the Bible chronologically as well as a new testament plan that takes 92 days. When you start reading a new book of the bible it gives you a 10-12 min video showing the really highlighted points of that certain book so you can start reading with why and how that particular book is presented. Also, after that days reading there is a 10-15 min podcast that you can listen to that breaks down that days reading as well as gives historical facts, notes, study links, and makes sure the context is clear.

Do you want to read, understand, and love Scripture? This one-year chronological reading plan corresponds to The Bible Recap. In the podcast, video, or book form, Tara-Leigh Cobble highlights and summarizes each day’s Bible reading in a casual, easy to understand way. The Bible Recap will not only help you read scripture but help you love reading it!

The Bible Recap: New Testament reading plan follows the story of Scripture as the events occurred. This 3 Month plan corresponds to The Bible Recap podcast (available wherever you listen to podcasts), beginning with Day 274. We recommend listening to the corresponding podcast episode after you do each day's reading.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJake View Post
                      ESV or NLT have always been my go to translations. My physical Bible is the NLT and I use ESV on the Bible app.

One thing that has helped my walk with Christ and really digging into his word is a plan called The Bible Recap with Tara Leigh Cobble on the bible app. There is a one year plan that goes through the Bible chronologically as well as a new testament plan that takes 92 days. When you start reading a new book of the bible it gives you a 10-12 min video showing the really highlighted points of that certain book so you can start reading with why and how that particular book is presented. Also, after that days reading there is a 10-15 min podcast that you can listen to that breaks down that days reading as well as gives historical facts, notes, study links, and makes sure the context is clear.

Do you want to read, understand, and love Scripture? This one-year chronological reading plan corresponds to The Bible Recap. In the podcast, video, or book form, Tara-Leigh Cobble highlights and summarizes each day’s Bible reading in a casual, easy to understand way. The Bible Recap will not only help you read scripture but help you love reading it!

https://my.bible.com/reading-plans/1...-new-testament
                      ^^^^^ This is good

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Great input here!!
                        Please don’t get discouraged. Keep at it. Pray and ask God to specifically reveal His Word to you.
                        I’ve read n studied the Bible for over 50 years and I struggle with clarity and understanding it sometimes.
                        Last year, our church did a program of reading throu the Bible in a year. All the Bible Study classed studied a curriculum that followed the same path. The Bible we all used was the Chronological Bible published by Tyndale publishing. It has every Word, every verse of scripture in the Bible in it except instead of being arranged in the standard format of the normal 66 books of the Bible, the verses are arranged chronologically as best as theologians and historians cold determine the timeline and historical data of when the books were written.
                        All of that to say that my understanding of the Bible grew more in the last year than any other time in my life! I’d highly recommend getting a copy. Yup can download it off Amazon to your phone, tablet, or computer for about $10.
                        Search “chronological Bible, Tyndale publishing.
                        It is written in the New King James translation and reads very easy.
                        While I have never met him in person I do follow his post. I like his take on things. He seems to be an Honest and Godly man who is not afraid to say he falls short at times. I do agree with his statement about the chronological bible we did this same study several years ago and it helped me a lot by putting things in order. I also use read the NIV and ESV most of the time those are the easiest for me to understand. I do however keep my King James handy all the time because sometimes the old english language just makes more since and is probably the most accurate translation as it was one of if not the first english translations from the original Hebrew and Greek and a lot can be lost in translation. Also becareful because in some of this political correctness some translations are leaving some key verses out.
                        If you are able get around some Godly men like Charlie and they will help you walk thru this. We love to teach people. Thank You for wanting to and trying to understand the Word. It will bring you much comfort. Also please make notes in your bible it will give you a lot of comfort when you are struggling in the future to see how you got thru it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          go to a bible book store were they will have a lot of different versions you can look through in one location. There will be some knowledgeable help there, ask them to show you the difference also ask what they use.

People in the business will have a personal preference, usually because they have had time to see and read through lots of different versions.. what ever you choose try to get a parallel translation with the King James being one of those... the reason is that most bibles have been translated from the KJV... and some bibles have flat out changed not only the words but the meanings as well... read the version you like then you can look right beside it and see if you get the same understanding from the KJV... some publishers will even make a 4 version in the same book,,, only thing wrong with those is that they tend to be big and heavy

Be careful with this. There is NOTHING sacred about the King James Version of the Bible... It is just the first version published (by the Gutenberg Press). Since that time, many, many older texts have been discovered that have given a more complete and clearer recount of the original Greek and Hebrew texts. Some of the more modern translations are more accurately translated directly from the older texts and even noted where different copies of the old texts differ from one to the other. The more modern translations such as the NIV (actually NIV84) and NASB (NASB77) versions are a couple examples of translations that were done directly from the oldest texts available at the time.

Comment

Best version is the one your read and apply.

I use them all

Also www.blueletterbible.com is great resource for the lay persons in the church as they study.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                              I'm not charismatic enough for that one. I am more pedestrian these days.
                              I get it. I go to Dr. Magee when I want it broke out by verse. He had a way of ciphering the Word of God.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Great input here!!
                                Please don’t get discouraged. Keep at it. Pray and ask God to specifically reveal His Word to you.
                                100% this. im pretty surprised it is only touched on once! in two pages.

Comment

Working...
                                X