Burning that trophy tag early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning that trophy tag early

It's always hard for me to do. It seems like every year December brings about new bucks. One year I did shoot my trophy the second week in October, which proved the right decision that year.

This year I took an opportunity at a buck early November. Having a 15 month old and 3 month old at home, and the year we've had with them, I new my time would be limited in the woods. I had some hesitation in shooting, but he was mature and kept me from eating tag soup.

Last week I pull cards to find a stud of a buck. Then this morning, I watched for 30 minutes a tremendous buck that I've only had a few random pics of for two years now. I sure was wishing I had my tag still!

What stories do you guys have of touching that trigger just a little too soon?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don’t sweat it, but I have places to hunt in three counties, and one of them is MLD. I killed a 138” at home last week, but there’s a nicer one on my lease in the neighboring county. He failed to show this morning though......

Comment

I was OK with it. Coyotes beware from here on out. I'm sure I'll see something bigger but oh well I can shoot it with my camera.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hard to do down south unless it's just a bonified giant. We see so many new bucks during the rut, and they seem to get bigger and bigger.
        Last edited by Mexico; 12-01-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

This year I killed mine on opening day of rifle season. It was a good deer but it has taken some of the fun out of the rest of the season. The one year I passed on a good buck early I ended up with a tag.
          I’m just hoping the big ones I’m seeing now make it through the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nah it's always a holdout for me. Usually it ends with me taking a management or cull with my trophy tag. They still eat good.

Gary

Comment

Y’all are spoiled! I haven’t SEEN an over 13” on my lease since 2013 LOL!

Jason.

Comment

I passed up a lot of shots on some good bucks, twice this week on a very wide 10. Still hoping for the one that I can't let walk but it may not happen.

Comment

Never pass on the first day, what you would shoot on the last day.

Comment

My problem is I have 2 young kids and a wife that works too. So my hunting time can be very limited with spending time with the family or working. I love to hunt but feels as if I'm almost rushing to hang my tag on a shooter. Just yesterday I shot my buck even though the latest card pull revealed a new buck that was bigger but too sporadic for me to hope for on limited time.

Comment

I'd love to have that problem.

Comment

It happens. I had 2 target bucks at my panhandle lease this year. I shot the smaller of the 2 early. However, the other wasn't that much bigger. Truly to hunt trophy deer you have to allocate lots of time!

Comment

I shot a nice one opening week of archery. It's hard to go the rest of the year now not hunting a big deer but no way I was passing that one up. It was my best buck yet. Plus I get to hunt with my grandson now for his 1st buck! It's a win/win!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually don't mind it. I shot my target buck this weekend down near the southern border, and now when we go back for a week+ after xmas during the rut, I can corn / scout and try to get my buddies on a big deer. Takes all the pressure off, and now I can just relax.

Comment

If a buck walks in and my first instinct is to grab my bow instead of my binos I shoot it whether its the first day of the season or the last.

Comment

Working...
                              X