No announcement yet.

Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im shooting 540 grains @ 70lb draw weight.

Comment

460gr total weight, 72lbs @ 32" draw.. 95% total pass through on many, many animals...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
        All this being said what weight would you get your kiddo shooting 50 lbs at 23” draw ?
        400 grains at least

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
          How many of those animals killed were shot 40 yards or over?
          Farthest hog 65
          Farthest deer 35 and rarely can I see that far
          Probably 30+

I can kill a whitetail deer with a hand thrown rock. They are a glorified goat. That’s it. A BIG one is 14” hide to hide

I’m not saying your way or anyone’s way is wrong. More than one way to skin a cat. I just get put off at the almost “excuse “ of failure on “it was my ________ fault”

Heavy arrows are great, I just feel and have shown it’s not near the factor people make it.

Comment

29"draw, 70#'s at 595 grains, 19%+ FOC, they work!

Comment

I have killed deer and hogs along with other critters back in the day when we were shooting overdraws with extremely light arrow and BH's that were near as complicated or well built as some today and they still worked.

Tuned bow, tuned arrow, super sharp BH and CORRECT SHOT PLACEMENT are the keys to killing an animal quick! My longest kill was 91 yards on a NM antelope and my closest was 4 yards on a 3x3 elk. They are all dead and died within sight.

Lots of things you can do to get quieter bows on the shot, better and more forgiving on the shot, but I do like the heavy arrow with plenty of FOC, but to each his own.

Comment

480 grains is the sweet spot between pixy stix and telephone poles.

Comment

So several months back, I reached into my archery box and pull out 2 100 grain field points. I hold them separately and then together to feel the weight........and think to myself is this little extra and a calculator really what everybody is OCDing about?....

Last edited by Smart; 11-07-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
                    I had a 385 gr arrow last year and only had a pass thru on three animals all the others didn't. Years prior to this I shot a EFOC 490 gr. arrow with a Fixed Blade broadhead and I was able to bust thru deer or pig shoulders. This year I'm using EFOC 450 Gr. arrows with a fixed blade broad head and I have shot 6 animals so far all pass thrus and through shoulder blades. Some of the shots have been quartering towards shot where I place the pin right on the shoulder. I am a firm believer in heavy arrows with EFOC. I want a heavy arrow to help me on marginal shots that touch bone or even those less then perfect slightly quartering toward shots.
                    What's your setup, assuming from your pic your shooting a compound? If that's correct I'd love to know how you got those arrow specs.

Comment

Speed isn't the issue for me---I shoot heavy arrows because of the effect they have on bow noise--

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        So I several months back, I reached into my archery box and pull out 2 100 grain field points. I hold them separately and then together to feel the weight........and think to myself is this little extra and a calculator really what everybody is OCDing about?....
                        I can run math until my head hurts and make a seemingly BIG number difference..... in the real world means little.

I know women who kill Kansas bucks yearly at 40# 320gr with 85gr Bh.... pass through every time. It’s like a bumble bee... I guess he doesn’t know he’s not scientifically able to fly

Comment

At what point does too much mass become a problem?

A 500 grain arrow at 275 fps has the same momentum as a 5000 grain arrow at 27.5 frs.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            Farthest hog 65
                            Farthest deer 35 and rarely can I see that far
                            Probably 30+

I can kill a whitetail deer with a hand thrown rock. They are a glorified goat. That’s it. A BIG one is 14” hide to hide

I’m not saying your way or anyone’s way is wrong. More than one way to skin a cat. I just get put off at the almost “excuse “ of failure on “it was my ________ fault”

Heavy arrows are great, I just feel and have shown it’s not near the factor people make it.
                            The main benefit of shooting lighter faster arrows doesn't really come into play until after 40 yards. If the majority of shots are under that, why not improve success on marginal shots by getting more penetration?

Comment

I have been slinging 320 total grain arrows through deers vitals like butter with 55lbs of draw weight and 27" draw length for a long time. I need the light arrow for more speed with my short draw length and preffered lower poundage bow setting.

I choose the same setup on my rifle as well - (25.06)

Comment

I shoot un-cut arrows at 32” draw length, 100 grain broadheads...I only see full pass throughs

I shot a 175+ sow at Hagerman last week & my Rage went though both shoulders

Comment

Working...
                                X