Prayers for Dad - Glory to God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, y'all.

It has been extremely frustrating. He was doing so well on Saturday and we we leaving him alone so he didn't feel like we were babysitting and now I feel like we have been playing a game of Sorry and were sent back to the start.

Good new is - the PT came in today and got him up and walking. They said he was good to go home and by golly, they went! The PT will be coming every day and so will the speech therapist.

I'm not sure when he will restart radiation, but he's still taking his chemo. We believe the lethargy was from the chemo, which we recalled they said would hit around 5 weeks of treatment. Well, it hit.

As long as we can get up up to take his Kepra twice a day and his chemo at night, we should be ok. He had a seizure because it had been 23 hours since his last dose of Kepra. (Note to self - don't ever push that limit again.)

So, here we go again. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Comment

I just have to say -

To GOD BE THE GLORY!

Amazing - I visited on Tuesday evening and while thoroughly exhausted, Dad was awake and fixing to eat supper. He was able to mutter a few words.

Mom said he was improving by leaps and bounds. This morning he came out all cleaned up and dressed neatly and smiled at Mom. She asked if he wanted to make breakfast and he said, "No" but he proceeded to watch over Mom's shoulder and grab the ingredients out of the refrigerator to help. Maybe tomorrow he'll cook his own breakfast.

Comment

One thing is pretty obvious here: your dad is a fighter. Like sort of an ex-Marine type that isn't going to let anything get him down. My hat's off to him. What a man. Prayers sent.

Comment

10-23-19 update

Dad finished radiation on Monday and rang the bell!
          He will soon be wearing the OptiTune cap to help neutralize the cell reproduction. All fo this will slow the disease down and help Dad maintain a more comfortable quality of life. The nurse wanted to put into relative terms how aggressive his cancer is - normal cancer cells reproduce once every 3-4 days. Glioblastoma cancer cells reproduce 55X per day! So that seems to put into perspective what we are dealing with.
          I am headed home and won't be able to stay with them in Bryan any longer. But Mom is feeling very well and says now that Dad has many fewer appointments, she can handle things. Also Dad can be left alone for up to 2 hours. I'm not sure that is a great idea but mentally, they both need a break sometimes.

Comment

January Update

I was just reading Tim's post (IowaHunter) about his wife being in the advanced stage of glioblastoma and I realized we hadn't posted an update through the holidays.
            FIRST - I am STUNNED at how many people have this cancer! It is supposed to be a very rare cancer, but it doesn't seem that way!

Dad enjoyed Christmas and got to see everyone, inlcuding my brother who lives in Connecticut. His grin and joy at seeing him were enough to make a tear roll down my face.
            However, Dad has been going downhill quickly. He has had a few seizures due to infections and at his age the Optune is mostly experimental. For people Kristin's age (Tim's wife) it has been giving victims a few more years. Maybe it has given our Dad a few more months. He sleeps a lot more now, he stumbles when he walks and uses a walker. He only leaves the house when he has a doctor appointment. His quality of life is very much decreased and we are now at the point of asking ourselves a very difficult question. Please pray we make the right choice, but mostly pray that he stays pain free (he has so far!) and that God welcomes him into Heaven. He was just diagnosed in July, but I don't think he will see July again.
            Thanks

Comment

Y’all are in our prayers.

Comment

Oh man I'm sorry to read about this... I saw your post over on Tim's thread and just got a big ol lump in my throat. We kids all have to face this some day and it ain't fun. Obviously, you girls love your dad (and mom) very much and are a close family. That makes parting with him that much more difficult. Praise God though, He has given us a way to be eternally together and from y'all's posts it is certain that your dad knows Jesus and you all do too... That is the hope we all have, that our circle will indeed be unbroken for eternity. Be strong in the Lord and lean on Him. He will carry you through these trials and after a little while, you will rejoin him forevermore!!

Lord, we ask You to comfort these girls, their brother and mom as they go through this trial with their dad/husband. We are so thankful that they are all brothers and sisters in You Lord Jesus and that they claim the promise of eternal life by trusting in You. In the meanwhile, if it be Your will that their dad be given years, we are thankful for that, but if You choose to bring him home soon, Lord let it be a peaceful, pain free passing, and let the family rest easy knowing he is eternally healed and at Your side waiting on the far side bank of Jordon for them to some day cross over. We thank You Lord for this great man. He raised up his family in Your ways and to this day is a role model for others to come to know You and to be like You. Be with this family as You work your will and plan. In Your name Jesus, we ask and pray, Amen.

Comment

Sorry to hear this, prayers for your dad’s recovery, and for the family.

Comment

Praying for y’all!!!

Comment

It’s a very rough deal watching a parent’s health start declining.
                      Continued prayers for y’all during this time and I hope he remains as pain free as possible.

Comment

Praying for your dad! Keep the Faith in LORD! GOD is Great!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Oh man I'm sorry to read about this... I saw your post over on Tim's thread and just got a big ol lump in my throat. We kids all have to face this some day and it ain't fun. Obviously, you girls love your dad (and mom) very much and are a close family. That makes parting with him that much more difficult. Praise God though, He has given us a way to be eternally together and from y'all's posts it is certain that your dad knows Jesus and you all do too... That is the hope we all have, that our circle will indeed be unbroken for eternity. Be strong in the Lord and lean on Him. He will carry you through these trials and after a little while, you will rejoin him forevermore!!

Lord, we ask You to comfort these girls, their brother and mom as they go through this trial with their dad/husband. We are so thankful that they are all brothers and sisters in You Lord Jesus and that they claim the promise of eternal life by trusting in You. In the meanwhile, if it be Your will that their dad be given years, we are thankful for that, but if You choose to bring him home soon, Lord let it be a peaceful, pain free passing, and let the family rest easy knowing he is eternally healed and at Your side waiting on the far side bank of Jordon for them to some day cross over. We thank You Lord for this great man. He raised up his family in Your ways and to this day is a role model for others to come to know You and to be like You. Be with this family as You work your will and plan. In Your name Jesus, we ask and pray, Amen.
                          Thanks Steve.

We were talking about this at church over the holidays. Death is not the end for believers. It's the final journey, the goal we all want. Yes we miss our loved ones greatly but they will greet us at heaven's gate soon enough.

Comment

Just read through the thread and what a fighter your dad is...very inspiring. God bless you and your family and will add your pops to my prayers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We called hospice today. Hopefully they can start today or tomorrow. He's not doing weel. He fell yesterday and we had to get the neighbor (a former NP) to get him up. He is sleeping 20+ hours a day now. Tough to get enough water in him to keep him hydrated.

Comment

I went through this a few years ago with my Dad.

It is very difficult. Prayers up.

Comment

Working...
                                X