Whole house water filters???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plumbing contractor for our new house (still being built) strongly recommends a whole house water filter, to block silt and crap from the 600-ft. water well from getting into the house's water system, valves, etc. He said one of those $75 filters at Home Depot would be fine, and should have a minimum of 20 gpm. He said 20 gpm was pushing it: we could just do one thing at a time, like one person taking a shower.

Welp.... turns out 20 gpm is the MOST I can find. That's about $70, with a 30 micron filter. It has a 1" connector, but the actual water feed inside the device is just 1/4". I can't believe it delivers 20 gpm through that tiny hole. Yet reviewers say "hey I have a wife and 3 kids and it works great!!!"

Many comparable filters just produce 10-15 gpm, or even less.

The real expensive, top line filters that cost several thousand dollars go down to 5 - 10 microns, but only produce 4 or 5 gpm!!! I mean, jeez, are those even usable? Yet, many of these get 5-star reviews; nobody ever mentions not having enough water flow.

I feel like there's something I'm missing here. Can anybody school me on this? I need to buy one pretty soon.

I just had an automatic back flushing filter system installed on our place in Centerville. It was $1850 installed but it has made a world of difference so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

20 gpm is a lot of water. I would recommend that you have it downstream of your faucets or at least have one faucet on the upstream side so that you can fill a swimming pool or wash cars without dealing worth the restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        20 gpm is a lot of water. I would recommend that you have it downstream of your faucets or at least have one faucet on the upstream side so that you can fill a swimming pool or wash cars without dealing worth the restriction.
        I wouldn’t put any exterior faucets on it. Have them all separate from your homes water.

Comment

Just pulled a table off of the web. Regardless of whether you use pex or copper you shouldn't really see a drop unless two large items are running at once...most sinks, shower heads are rated for much less than 2 gpm....now if the filter isn't kept clean it may cause a restriction. I have attached the table.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great chart, thanks! I had a feeling his "minimum 20 gpm" was what was off.

I'll check on the exterior faucets.

What about the micron specs? The best are 5 microns, but do you really need it that tight just to keep the silt out?

Comment

You will get tired of replacing filters. I bought this unit and it solved my silt problems. Programable to clean itself at regular intervals.

Shop Whirlpool 3.4-GPM Charcoal Whole House Water Filtration System in the Whole House Filtration Systems department at Lowe's.com. Never replace your water filter again with our central water filtration system. This system comes with free shipping and a lifelong filter. The central water

Comment

IN....

Comment

Go to reverseosmosis.com that is who I bought my water softner and filter through. I think you will find them much cheaper and they are very knowledgeable. My filters are less than $30 and work great.

Comment

Working...
                  X