Bee removals!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
    Awesome! I need to take more pics of mine. I started in May with two nucs. I added a third with a trap out from a tree in my pasture and added a queen. A couple weeks later I checked and no queen/eggs/brood so I ordered another. When she came in I went to add her to the hive and the original queen was in there laying like crazy. I assume she was on mating flight the first time I checked. I robbed two frame of brood from my strongest hive to put with the extra queen. So now they are doing great and i'm up to 4 hives in 3 months.

I have a question for those that know what they are doing, I am starting to see some SHB showing up in two of my hives, What method do ya'll use to get rid of them. My research shows tons of ways, i'm looking for what is most effective.
    Here are a couple pics from my trap out.
    Nice! Trapouts seems to always be a slooooow go. In regards to the beetles, it seems as you will always see some shb in the tops brood boxes from time to time. Some hives tolerate them more than others. I would start by using some of the plastic traps that you add mineral oil to that mann lake sells, if you think you have an infestation that needs to be addressed. Most likely its nothing to worry about though. Varroa would be my biggest concern if it were me, as those nasty little boogers cause all kinds of trouble if left untreated.
    Last edited by MASTERS; 07-24-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

We found a hive a few weeks ago in a travel trailer at out lease. We try to get to someone out to remove them but couldn't find anyone out in Ozona. It was about 1ft by 3 ft
      Attached Files

Comment

I am seriously considering getting a backyard hive in my house in Houston. I have a friend that offered to show me the ropes, and I am getting a bee suit soon. Thanks for sharing all the info, I am learning as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
          We found a hive a few weeks ago in a travel trailer at out lease. We try to get to someone out to remove them but couldn't find anyone out in Ozona. It was about 1ft by 3 ft
          Did you end up spraying them or are they still there? Comb sure looks vacated....

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
            Did you end up spraying them or are they still there? Comb sure looks vacated....
            We sprayed them

Comment

I can't make any promises but that's in my neck of the woods, if you or anyone you know has more problems give me a call, myself and a few others have bees in the area and may be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                I can't make any promises but that's in my neck of the woods, if you or anyone you know has more problems give me a call, myself and a few others have bees in the area and may be able to help.
                I will keep you in mind. This is my first year on the lease, but I was told it happens every year

Comment

I will keep you in mind. This is my first year on the lease, but I was told it happens every year
                  Stay alert down there, we've ran into some fairly aggressive bees down that way, especially those that live in the rimrocks.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                    Nice! Trapouts seems to always be a slooooow go. In regards to the beetles, it seems as you will always see some shb in the tops brood boxes from time to time. Some hives tolerate them more than others. I would start by using some of the plastic traps that you add mineral oil to that mann lake sells, if you think you have an infestation that needs to be addressed. Most likely its nothing to worry about though. Varroa would be my biggest concern if it were me, as those nasty little boogers cause all kinds of trouble if left untreated.
                    Thank you. I went from one or two to killing about 30 in one hive this past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
                      Thank you. I went from one or two to killing about 30 in one hive this past weekend.
                      Brawny makes a towel that mann lake also sells that I have used with success as well. You might give them a try.....

Comment

hives in full sun slow down SHB, love to do water meter cut outs

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                          hives in full sun slow down SHB, love to do water meter cut outs
                          yes it does, I've been fortunate to never have shb infestations too bad...

Comment

Another forced abscond in Bexar county. Had a lady 86 years young and still push mowing her yard get stung up by them 2 weeks ago. She told the water company about them and they called me. Went by before work this past Tuesday and told her I'd get them out of that tree on my first day off on Friday. 5 hrs into smoking them I caught the queen as she tried to abscond out of a knot hole 11' up in the hollow oak. I screened in all the entrances/exits when done so she doesn't have to worry about them in that tree again.

Comment

Great read, I’ve always thought about getting a hive but never got serious enough to read up and pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Masters! I've got a question. I've been told and have asked a couple of other beekeepers about swarm size, have you noticed a difference in the temperament of large swarms (gentler less aggressive) vs smaller swarms (more aggressive and prone to attack). I may have asked before if so I apologize, it's just that memory is my least reliable source of information.

Comment

Working...
                                X