Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why in the #$// did they do this?

Does anyone know why these new trucks come with
    A 2 1/2" receiver hitches....my son's 08 has it and my new Ram does...
    Why put a 2 1/2" hitch and have to put a reducer sleeve in it.....
    Just stupid.....
    I haven't found a legitimate answer yet!

I will have to agree. Just weld it on. I lost 2 of them

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Because it is has larger load capacity. You can buy a 2 1/2 inch ball hitch

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
        Yep you can hook a pintle hitch on and pull the weight capability of these newer diesels
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Yep you can hook a pintle hitch on and pull the weight capability of these newer diesels
          Ok thanks....
          Not many people.pulling 20k trailers....
          .just unnecessary IMO

Comment

You can buy the 2 1/2" recievers. I just bought the one with the 4 balls on it. I just rotate it around for what ever size ball I need.

Comment

Mine is 3 inch I have two reducers in it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                Seems like these bigger hitches would still put most 3/4 ton over on payload from tongue weight alone if used to capacity.

Comment

Straight from ram

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                  Seems like these bigger hitches would still put most 3/4 ton over on payload from tongue weight alone if used to capacity.
                  Ram is making some big number claims
                  “” The numbers behind Ram 2500 are equally as formidable: these 3/4-ton GCWR figures are rated up to 11,476 kg (25,300 lb).””

I personally wouldn’t recommend maxing out a single wheel 3/4
                  But the sales propaganda says it good to go

Comment

I still say some engineer/vp type thought up a way to make the company more money from having to buy replacement sleeves every time somebody goes to hook onto a trailer!

Comment

It's all about truck sales...every year each manufacturer has to make a more BOLD statement than last year and the engineers are paid to come up with solutions.

Comment

If you’re going to use the truck to it’s capacities then absolutely use the larger receivers. 2” receivers aren’t rated nearly enough for what these trucks are capable of. I pull a 15k bumper pull, and use a 3” receiver. I’d be fine with a 2 1/2”, but there’s no point in using sleeves when I can just buy the larger receiver and be down with sleeves altogether.

Also, just cause the hitch is rated for 17k doesn’t mean the receiver is. Most 2 1/2” receivers I could find were only rated to 12-15k.

Comment

Are these trucks half tons?

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                            Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                            You can buy the 2 1/2" recievers. I just bought the one with the 4 balls on it. I just rotate it around for what ever size ball I need.
                            Why should I have to buy new one and what am I supposed to do with the pile of 2" receivers that have served me just fine (and still do) for the last 30+ years and 1million (plus) miles?

Not sure I'd want to weld that thin adapter in place. It would likely wear through in the 200k-300K miles, that I put on trucks. If it was the only option I'd have to upgrade to the 2 1/2" receiver before I'd weld that cheesy adapter to it.

Current plan it to just wear through the loose fitting, cheesy adapters, and replace as necessary.
                            Last edited by Philip-TX; 12-01-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

This is Texas. Everyone thinks BIGGER is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X