Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little man drew a permit for Mason Mountain, the count down begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little man drew a permit for Mason Mountain, the count down begins...

We leave in five days.

Hunting is all about the kiddos these days for me. Hagen and I like new adventures and experiences and I’ve always told Hagen that as long as he puts in the work at school and on the field... I will make sure he gets to experience incredible opportunities.

A few months ago, I was in the office going through photos in Lightroom and we got to talking about hunting so I jumped on the WWW to check the draw hunt applications status and showed him where I’d entered him for 7 different hunts. He’s 8 so this is the first year he is eligible. Needless to say, he thought it was pretty awesome.

He went 1 of 7. But that’s all it takes, it’s a chance.

Hagen progressed over the last few years from a Red Rider BB gun to .17 HMR and has now graduated to a Ruger American in .300 blackout. He and I have hit the range several times over the last few months prepping for his first chance at chasing Texas Whitetail.

I started him out using a sled to build his confidence, he did well.

Well, it’s the week of. His hunt takes place this coming weekend at Mason Mountain WMA.

Over the last few weeks I had gone back and forth over different setups to help him out in the field. So, I decided to pick up a PIG saddle to put on a ball head mounted to a tripod to help him out shooting from a blind.

It’s a pretty cool setup!

He was a little frustrated that he wasn’t quite as accurate off the tripod, but I was still fairly impressed with his shooting and his ability to do it all on his own.

I think he’s ready!

Hopefully, with fair weather and a new moon all goes well and he gets his first crack at a Texas Whitetail this week.

Wish him luck and I hope to update this thread with his experiences in the field with plenty of pixels as I will be hunting with my long lens.

I’ve never drawn a TPWD hunt so I’m pretty stoked about this opportunity for Hagen and a chance to make some memories at a unique place in the Texas Hill Country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Chad C; 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM.

Good luck to y’all, I hope it all comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
      Good luck to y’all, I hope it all comes together.
      Thanks! I hope he gets a chance! I have several more hunts lined up for him this season, but I'd like to see him get it done at Mason Mountain.

Comment

Very cool. I look forward to the post-hunt writeup. Good luck to you two.

Comment

Great shooting, and best of luck to you and him.

Rwc

Comment

Mason is awesome. My son got drawn for youth doe and spike there a few years ago. Hunt was the last weekend in October and fortunately we had a cold snap. Drove up Saturday morning with all our gear to stay in the lodge. Went through the orientation, went out and fed and saw deer moving all day. He shot a spike and a doe. Drove back to SA Saturday night.

Great memories!

Comment

Congrats to him

Comment

Mason Mountain is really cool. Have not been in several years but I really liked it. It is not an easy kill place, but a great variety of critters to be observed.

Comment

Cool deal good luck

Comment

Hope he gets a good one!

Comment

Mason is very nice place, pastures are separated by high fence/gates but overall various game and you will see many animals. Been there 3 times at least.

Comment

really cool

Comment

Good luck. I enjoy my time with my son and daughter whether it is fishing or hunting.

Comment

send pics - I hope he has plenty of opportunities to shoot!

Comment

Mason Mountain is a great place, loved our hunts there. Keep us posted and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X