Glowing Fletching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glowing Fletching

This season, I am hunting strictly from the ground using my ghillie suit.

I've noticed on the last couple of times out, that the animals seem standoffish. Not like they had me busted, because if that was the case they would blow out of there, but just reluctant to get closer.

That got me to thinking about my arrow wraps & fletching, so I tested them under a black light for UV reaction. LOL Dang !!!!! Glows like a neon light. One arrow on the bow ain't enough to worry about, but a quiver full looks like a lit up & landing space ship.

That prompted me to build this cover (out of an old face mask I don't use) for them when in the quiver. Works great, stays put, no noise, and I can still easily get an arrow in & out of it.

Rick

Very interesting!

Comment

I've always been aware of animals seeing UV reflection in the daylight, and normally take precautions to avoid it, even with my fletching.

I like this orange so well, that it never dawned on me to check it.
      Glad I finally did. Problem solved.

Rick

Comment

That's why I use the UV killer clothes wash and detergent with no brightners.

Gary

Comment

Cool set up.

Im glad you bring this up Rick. Ive been thinking about increasing the blacklight/UV reflection of my fletchings with some pink spray paint. And simultaneously researching old TBH threads about retarding UV reflection on clothing...or getting rid of UV brightners...Ive been busted several times when it seemed most everything else was on point.

You got the best of both worlds. Smart Swinoholic. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you bag a turkey.

Comment

Rick,
            Change of subject but how is the suit working out for you? I have one made by Rancho Safari that I've had for several years. It's just so hot with it on that it takes a real cold front to be comfortable in it. Do you sit on a bucket or what is your setup? I would like to use mine but would like to pick your brain a bit about how you use yours to best advantage.

Comment

I remember Uncle Ted would cover his fletching at one time.

Comment

Working...
              X