Anyone own and rent out a dump trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
    Yes sir. I would and have thought about buying a couple different trailers for rentals. Can be good side income.
    I’m tempted, but not sure I want to deal with it. I’ve got 3 different trailers right now, and have been keeping my eye out for a good dump trailer. What would you recommend for different trailers to stock? I’ve got a tandem 3500 axle 12’ bumper pull flatbed, 20’ tandem 7k equipment hauler, and 24’ low boy gooseneck with tandem 7ks. Looking to add a 14-16’ bumper pull dump trailer with either tandem 7k or 8k axles.

Also, I keep them all in excellent shape. Most of the time my hauls are 300-3000 miles. Not local short trips, so I try to keep them ready for a long haul without issue.

Comment

Me personally what I’m looking at to buy and rent out is a 14’ dump trailer with 7k axles, the way I’m thinking is that folks will over load it but most people own a 1/2ton-3/4 ton trucks will be able to pull it. It seems like 80% of folks own 3/4-1ton trucks that do not have a gooseneck hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
        Me personally what I’m looking at to buy and rent out is a 14’ dump trailer with 7k axles, the way I’m thinking is that folks will over load it but most people own a 1/2ton-3/4 ton trucks will be able to pull it. It seems like 80% of folks own 3/4-1ton trucks that do not have a gooseneck hitch.

I wouldn’t rent it to anyone with a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          I'm in the same boat as you, I want one but don't need it often enough to justify.
          Moser, you're good people. You can borrow one of mine.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
            Just gotta make that short drive

Comment

I have a small (6x12 IIRC) tandem axle dump and when you overload it, it won't raise.

Over course, right now it won't raise at all. My business partner "fixed" the lights and now the bed won't raise and when you plug the harness in the brakes are locked. I guess I'll fix it when I get some time.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                Just gotta make that short drive

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

You know, I had a PJ just almost exactly like that. I had it built with high removable sides and a 3/16” floor because we dumped stone in it. I quit selling stone that wasn’t on a pallet and sold it to buy me a flat deck dove tail. I loaded that ol dump trailer and scaled it and the truck at around 36,000 one time... That kinda thing doesn’t bother me much, but I’d like to think I’ll never do that again with a pickup, did not enjoy.

I appreciate the offer though! I ever need one, I’ll just do a reverse Smokey & The Bandit, and run over there and pick’er up![emoji23][emoji1360]

Sold my dually too though...

Comment

I’ve got one that I loan out, if someone wants to rent it call me.

Comment

I am thinking about buying a medium duty bumper pull dump trailer and then rent it out when I’m not using it. Does anyone on here do that? If so what are the pros and cons? The reason I’m thinking about doing this is because a dump trailer is something I need a handful of times a year and there isn’t a place close by to rent one so I’m thinking there must be others needing one to rent from time to time.
                      I would think you be better to go with 7k axles, brake on both.14k GVWR from the MFG.
                      You could also put 8k oil bath axle, but there would be a upcharge from, it might be something to consider too.
                      Last edited by brushtrooper; 11-21-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                        I would think you be better to go with 7k axles, brake on both.14k GVWR from the MFG.
                        You could also put 8k oil bath axle, but there would be a upcharge from, it might be something to consider too.
                        If you go with 8k axles it will usually require a cdl to legally pull with most trucks. The 8k's usually come with a 14 or 16 ply tire and heavier rims also though. Those 16 ply are hard and sometimes don't balance out so they vibrate if not loaded.

Comment

If you go with 8k axles it will usually require a cdl to legally pull with most trucks. The 8k's usually come with a 14 or 16 ply tire and heavier rims also though. Those 16 ply are hard and sometimes don't balance out so they vibrate if not loaded.
                          You can legally get away with tandem 8ks and a 3/4 ton. The 16k GVRW of the trailer an 10K GVWR of the truck will be 1 lb under CDL territory. My 350 SRW with 11,500 GVWR would be legally overweight.

Comment

Them tires are high dollar too. They are 17.5s, and they are bad ***, but they HATE setting still. If it sets for 6-8 months, you will tear up a tire just about every time. They’re heavy too, tire and wheel will be around 100lbs if I was guessing.

I think 7k axles is the way to go for the OP, especially if it’s a tongue pull.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-21-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I would rent it in the round rock area.

Comment

If pulling with a 3/4 ton and bumper pull with 8k axles will not put a person into CDL territory. The new 3/4 tons are GVWR of 10,000 lbs. If pulling with a dually, yes that will require a CDL, unless you have the MFG down rate it. If buying a new trailer the dealer can have the MFG down rate and the MFG will send a new vin sticker with lower GVWR. The only negative in this case will be if you are caught over the new GVWR and it might affect the resale. I do not see any negative with running 17.5" tires. I converted my trailers with 7k axles to the 17.5's, I have no complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                X