Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land
Default Time you wonít recover

I remember a lot about my childhood, great memories and my parents did a great job at keeping thousands of photos and pulling out there brick size video camera to capture everything for later on in life.
As a teenager I always heard the ď old people ď saying time flies by and one day you will have kids and they will grow so fast and you will be 50 before you know it.
Iím now a father of two, my boy is almost 5 and my daughter is 2. They are gods greatest gift to my wife and I and I want to capture as much as I can.
We take lots of pictures, and videos and keep lots of special things.

I just want some advise and want to hear some of the things yíall have done with your children to capture the good times and ways to show them old memories as growing up.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #2
Wood Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County

Just spend time with them. They don’t care doing what usually. Some of the things I did was things my wife and I also loved like camping, fishing, hunting, etc. Attend all their events and just let them know your always there for them.
Wood Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
DKirk
Ten Point

My wife has made a couple Shutterfly books from vacations, I don’t think they cost much.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
deerplanter
Ten Point

Pictures and videos are good but don't get caught up in trying to catch every moment on film. Spend good quality time with them and build memories that will last a lifetime.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

We planned a vacation every year, something out of state, a cruise, a snow trip, fishing trip in the mountains, or Disney or something like that. they will remember the trips more than they remember a weekend at the lake, select baseball, basketball or any other sport. I'm 50 and my kids are grown, and it goes so fast, just try to have a balance between work and family.
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

All kids are different but mine absolutely loved travelling and camping in our little 5th wheel.

We would get somewhere and while I was getting things set up they would be roaming and making new friends (mine were a little older and always in sight)

I am 49 and my kids are 23 and 20, time does go quick
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I don't think you can. That's why they call them memories. Some of the best memories to me are the ones that just happen. Like playing cow ****z baseball in between hunts. We had a little cow mud on us when the game was over.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I'm an old guy. We have stacks of VHS tapes and several photo albums. They are just collecting dust. My son is 32 and can remember almost everything on them without watching them. With him being our first and only child we videoed everything. With our granddaughter, we take pictures here and there, but we don't go nuts with it. I'm not saying to not take pics and videos, but you don't need to every time they poop their diapers. The memories will always be there.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
BigCohiba
Eight Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

If you haven't already, buy extra cloud space to keep more photos. I made the mistake of being cheap on this for a few years - deleting photos instead of paying more. I regret not ponying up sooner...
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

I Did not travel and take my family out of state I think that’s a big mistake they need to see our country. I’ve been to Alaska twice bow hunting and fishing I’ve hunted Kansas Illinois and Nebraska did not take my kids or family on any of those trips. I look back and say now that I was greedy and should have taken them .
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

The best thing you can spend on kids is... time.
The wife and I raised 3 sons and could not be happier. Took many pics and videos.
We had them outdoors every minute we could and now the part of waiting for Grand kids. Hunting/fishing trips, motocross tracks for them to ride. Of course all the shooting and archery. None of it would have been possible without the cooperation of my wife.
All the best to you and your family. Time does fly. Enjoy life as best you can.
Because we all die. It is how you live that matters.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #12
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

I Did not travel and take my family out of state I think thatís a big mistake they need to see our country. Iíve been to Alaska twice bow hunting and fishing Iíve hunted Kansas Illinois and Nebraska did not take my kids or family on any of those trips. I look back and say now that I was greedy and should have taken them .
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

That whole " before you know it you will be 50 " is absolutely true. I turned 50 just a couple weeks ago.
My kids are 11 and 12 and that happened faster than turning 50. It's crazy how fast time started rolling by once I had kids. I hate that it's going by so fast so I spend every day with my family. If I'm not at work I'm at home.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

At 55 I agree it goes fast and your kids are grown before you know it. Make the most of it while you can!

One bit of somewhat related advice I have is protect those pictures and videos you spent a lifetime collecting! In a couple of hours Hurricane Harvey took just about every picture my family had and also everything my parents had. We still have the memories but the pictures and stuff are gone!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #15
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Eat supper together at the table every evening.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
Pictures and videos are good but don't get caught up in trying to catch every moment on film. Spend good quality time with them and build memories that will last a lifetime.
This is something I struggle with. I have 2 girls, 2 and 5, and my wife is always taking pictures and videos on her phone when we are doing stuff. And she sometimes gets upset I'm not doing the same and I tell her Im just trying to enjoy the moment with them. But at the same time when those pictures pop up in my memories a year later I enjoy the pics so I see both sides of it.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #17
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

One thing I learned by watching my dad is don't live to work. Work to live. We didn't have a lot when I was young but we spent a lot of time hunting and fishing. I lost my dad when he was 60 to cancer but he was sick for several years before .. give them memories not material things.. they will thank you later..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #18
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
The best thing you can spend on kids is... time.
The wife and I raised 3 sons and could not be happier. Took many pics and videos.
We had them outdoors every minute we could and now the part of waiting for Grand kids. Hunting/fishing trips, motocross tracks for them to ride. Of course all the shooting and archery. None of it would have been possible without the cooperation of my wife.
All the best to you and your family. Time does fly. Enjoy life as best you can.
Because we all die. It is how you live that matters.
This.

My son will be 17 in December. I spent about 17 years of my near 20 year career working evening shift and weekends. I missed A LOT of mon-fri stuff, baseball, tae kwon do etc.

But we always did a summer vacation and took him. We've done several states and even Alaska and the last 2 years we spend 3 days dove hunting for his b-day. Day after Christmas we leave for Estes Park so he can see real snow. We fish and hunt a ton so I hope he remembers all that stuff when Im gone. I hope to get him half the memories I have with my dad
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #19
jdelago67
Spike

Hunt In: Texas Public

You can never get back time, make the most of it with your kids while you can
jdelago67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #20
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

Take pictures/videos of everything and get it saved on a safe storage device..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #21
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I have the DPS video of my daughter driving to work, speeding, and getting pulled over by THP on IH-35. It's funny as heck and I never will let her live it down.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #22
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: midwest

A budy and I did some drinking thinking to this. Conclusion was as you age you have more memories to compare against time. When you were younger you had less memories to compare against time and that is why it seem so slow up until your late teenager years.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #23
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Memories

There is one thing I wish I had done. Most of my photos are on digital media, taken and stored on SD cards and computers. Over the past 60 years computers have crashed, jump drives and SD cards have been lost or misplaced; many were on floppy drives etc that I cannot even view anymore because my newer computers canít read them. I wish now I had had my pictures printed and put in photo albums. The Cloud is nice and easy but at the time those little 4inch floppyís were easy too, so were 8 tracks and such. My suggestion would be print your most valuable visual memories and put them in albums. You wonít regret it I promise. If you get lucky and live to be my age, those albums will be invaluable to you and your kids and grandkids. Take the time to preserve your memories as hard copies.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I try to make prints of pictures when I can. Also I have written letters to my kids at each birthday that I will give them on their 18th birthday. It’s nothing crazy but I try to capture what they are going through and big changes that happened that year.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #25
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelago67 View Post
You can never get back time, make the most of it with your kids while you can
I wish my father would have been able to see this thread
He spent most of our childhood in a bottle, and any time spent with him , was also spent with some fluzzy he was hanging with
My grandpa and uncle were around but both have now passed away,

Even today he really doesnít make much time for my sisters children or my family ( kinda sad really )
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #26
duckmanep
Pope & Young

If you don't have it, get a cloud storage like Google Photos. They have unlimited pic/vid storage and you can access it from any device.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #27
ktjones
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville

Wife and I have 6 kids, 4 girls, two boys. The girls talk MORE about a one day trip to a Hawaiian Falls water park than they do about a week long Disney Trip. We now plan short trips like this versus the 'big' trip. They do grow up fast.
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #28
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

This is good .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #29
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

5+ hours I watched the Astros last night.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #30
WRasco
Six Point

Hunt In: Online - Buy more gear than I Hunt...
Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post
We planned a vacation every year, something out of state, a cruise, a snow trip, fishing trip in the mountains, or Disney or something like that. they will remember the trips more than they remember a weekend at the lake, select baseball, basketball or any other sport. I'm 50 and my kids are grown, and it goes so fast, just try to have a balance between work and family.
Once they hit school years you have 12 summers/ trips you can take them on.
Plan accordingly
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #31
robert13t
Eight Point

Hunt In: backyard

We make a calendar every year off Shutterfly so we can look on last years memories. We then keep them like year books. Give them your time and don’t over book yourself with activities.
robert13t is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #32
TxAg
Pope & Young

This day and age everyone wants to "capture" things on their phone...especially their kids. Look at sporting events or concerts. We are guilty of it as well.

I think we should do a better job of putting the phones down and just soak it in. Be Present!
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #33
texasair
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
There is one thing I wish I had done. Most of my photos are on digital media, taken and stored on SD cards and computers. Over the past 60 years computers have crashed, jump drives and SD cards have been lost or misplaced; many were on floppy drives etc that I cannot even view anymore because my newer computers canít read them. I wish now I had had my pictures printed and put in photo albums. The Cloud is nice and easy but at the time those little 4inch floppyís were easy too, so were 8 tracks and such. My suggestion would be print your most valuable visual memories and put them in albums. You wonít regret it I promise. If you get lucky and live to be my age, those albums will be invaluable to you and your kids and grandkids. Take the time to preserve your memories as hard copies.

X 2 That is good advise
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #34
Matt_g
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas/Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man View Post
Just spend time with them. They donít care doing what usually. Some of the things I did was things my wife and I also loved like camping, fishing, hunting, etc. Attend all their events and just let them know your always there for them.
I'm not a father yet, but I have been deprived of time with my father while growing up so I do know how it effects the children. My dad was traveling for work 3/4 of the time. As I got older, when he did come home, we would work around the farm. I learned so much from him, cattle, fences, built our barns, house etc. I do credit him for teaching me how to work HARD.

But as I look back at genuine memories one specific day comes to mind. We went fishing early one morning in a 14' jon boat that my grandfather gave us so that we would spend time together. I was probably 8 years old at the time. I remember cutting through the waves, feeling like we were going 100 mph, soaking it all in. I believe that was the one and only time we took it out but I never had so much fun with my old man before and would've gave anything to stay in that boat with him forever. I'm not sure if it was being on the water or just being with my dad that embedded this memory into my mind.

To this day, him being so consumed with work (still is) has negatively impacted our relationship. We don't talk much, maybe once every 6 months and when we do it's a bit awkward.

So in short, I agree that time is key. Time is the most expensive thing each of us have and it is overlooked by the majority.
Matt_g is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:55 PM   #35
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
This. And I like annual events and family traditions
I missed some time with the kids, but most of it was working
Never missed games & practices or dance recitals & competitions.

It goes super fast.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #36
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonCo. View Post
This is good .

I agree good thread.

I do not take many pictures but hopefully make many memories. We do many day trips locally and several times a year take a multi night trip somewhere. I keep hoping they will remember the memories. We often reminisce about the trips but never go and pull out the pictures.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top