Bobcat Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobcat Down

I'm not a big predator hunter but had to find and kill a bobcat that has killed over ten chickens within two weeks. Through trial and error I found out that he wasn't coming out until 3:30am to 4:00am. I've been waking up at 1:30am to head out to hunt over my coup area. I closed the coup doors but had a dead chicken tied to a large cinder block. The last few night he wasn't coming out as he must have been nervous because of the red light I put up. So this morning I woke up at 4:00am to do some work. After making a pot of coffee, I grabbed my flashlight and headed out to the coup just to look around to see if the cat came out.

First off I noticed the cinder block had been moved and the chicken was gone. Using the flashlight, I scanned the area deeper and saw the dead chicken about 15 feet from where it was. Then I saw those eyes, shinning from the flashlight, about 10 feet away from the chicken. ****, I didn't have my shotgun. I ran inside, grabbed some shells - loaded my grandfathers 16-gauge - and headed back out in my robe. Using my flashlight I locate him making his way towards the tree line. Boom! he spun around and ran towards the brush. Not wanting to come across a wounded 40 lb bobcat, i went and got my Blue Lacy - Ramadi - to help find him. It didn't take long. About 50 yards into the trees my dog stand over a big bobcat.

I'm not a big "mount" fan but I do want to have him tanned so I can put his pelt in my office. Anyone know a good taxidermist near College Station?
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Comment

You lost me at wearing a robe. But glad you got the chicken killer

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        You lost me at wearing a robe. But glad you got the chicken killer
        It wasn't planned but I had to make it happen robe/coffee and all

Comment

Allen Palermo is one of the best in the area. What did that sucker weigh?

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
            Allen Palermo is one of the best in the area. What did that sucker weigh?
            40 lbs

Comment

That’s a big cat.

Comment

Looks like it has good spots. Great candidate for a mount for sure. I am jealous.

Comment

Pretty cat !
                  Bobcats are not hard to flesh and then dry, if you have a stretcher board.
                  Moyle Mink in Idaho does a great job on tanning, bobcats are $34.50 fir fur dressing.
                  You would have to have it CITES tagged and they are free from TP&W.
                  Moyle's tan is soft and nice bit will need to air out when you get it back.

With a tanned hide you can handle it and check it out , mounts not so much. And, you better have a good cat taxidermist for a mount.

Comment

40# is an insanely big cat!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                      40# is an insanely big cat!
                      For sure. Would have placed second in the west Texas big bobcat contest earlier this year.

Big Bobcat
                      First Place / 42 lbs. 0 oz. / $45,080 / Russell Haley, Howard McDaniel
                      Second Place / 35 lbs. 2 oz. / $25,760 / Payton Sims, Jonathan Shaw, Jaxon Ransom, Coby Robbins

Comment

Yea if that cat was 40 lbs you would have won a whole lot of $$

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                          Yea if that cat was 40 lbs you would have won a whole lot of $$
                          Most contests it would have been 1st place which pays close to 50k.

Comment

Nice kill!! But I may have nightmares from the robe visual thing..................................

Comment

Sweet 16 rocked him. Nice, I bet your dog was stoked, my little pup would flip out if I killed a Bobcat out of the back yard at the treeline.

Comment

Working...
                              X