Bird Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird Hunting

Anyone done any bird hunting with your stickbow? Is it legal to hunt quail with a bow? I’ll build some flu-flu’s and give it a try if it’s legal. What type of head would work best? I’ll probably lose a bunch of arrows but it should be fun!!!

I have dove hunted and pheasant hunted with my longbow. I’m still 0‘fer on the doves, but I have bagged two pheasants. Doves are really tough. I would go pheasant hunting tomorrow with my bow if I could. That was a total blast!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve dove hunted with my longbow. Even when they were trying to land in the Mojos at 12 yards I was zero for about 15 - their ability to dodge an arrow is impressive. It was a fun time anyway!

Comment

Yes its legal, and its a whole ton of fun. I use the snarrow heads, the small ones, get them from 3 rivers. Good luck, quail are fast, and challenging. We practice by bouncing tennis balls down the driveway and trying to hit them on the rise.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Dove are a different story, I'm about 0 for several thousand on them.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Bird Hunting

“thebowhunters”, Bill, is our resident stickbow dove killer!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ll order some of the snaro heads and give them a try!!

Comment

I had a Tundra Swan hunt scheduled for this year, but the guy I was going to hunt with lost access to the property. I just got word that he had found a new piece of property that looks good. We are setting up a hunt for Jan. 2022.

Comment

I’ve teal hunted with my longbow. Got lucky and hit one on my 20th shot that morning lol

Comment

My cousin has a new Deutsch Drahthaar that we plan to hunt pheasant with this fall. I’ll have my Blueridge in hand and he has a “local” longbow. Iowa bird population is on the rise. It will be my first bird hunt in eight years. I can’t wait to get back in the thick of it. Bought a Beretta as a back up.

Comment

Just got back from quail hunt and those rascals are still safe.������

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                        Game management!

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                          They would be safe from me too. The Comanche word for “quail” translates in English to “small, noisy bird that tastes good but that never flies in straight line”. OK, I made that up, but considering my archery marksmanship I’ll be carrying my 20 gauge and not my longbow when going after Mr. Bob.

Comment

Killing birds with a bow is not all that difficult and I have killed many different kinds, as long as you get them before they are flying :-) I have hit a couple of pheasants coming off the ground (we used to do a group hunt here) and I have shot many doves, but they had just taken wing. You shoot 8 or 10 inches above and in front of the them and they fly into the arrow. I have never brought down one just flying by, pass shooting. I can tell you that if you go after pheasants, ducks, geese, are other larger birds you need broadheads. You wont kill/knock them down with blunts or snares, unless you get really lucky.

Comment

I've killed a lot of quail on the ground as well as dove on the ground or, like Chunky said, just coming up off the ground. I shot and hit solid 16 blue quail before I killed the first one. They are really tough. The best head is not the snaro, it's too heavy and grabs a lot of air. I like the smaller size of the guillotine. It will put those blues right dowm.

Comment

Working...
                              X