No announcement yet.

NX8 2.5-20 2fp vs NXS 5.5-22 please provide your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nx8 2/20 was not for me what’s so ever. One low mag the reticle is hardly usable. Low light it was even worse. I primarily coyote hunt so I use all mag range of a scope. From 3-18 often. The eye box was waaaaay to finicky for me. The turret is awesome. Though. But that was just me and that scope. Some love it. I didn’t. I’ve found that the leupold mark 6 and 5 line are perfect for everything I do. Hunting to steel.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
      The nx8 2/20 was not for me what’s so ever. One low mag the reticle is hardly usable. Low light it was even worse. I primarily coyote hunt so I use all mag range of a scope. From 3-18 often. The eye box was waaaaay to finicky for me. The turret is awesome. Though. But that was just me and that scope. Some love it. I didn’t. I’ve found that the leupold mark 6 and 5 line are perfect for everything I do. Hunting to steel.
      So, was the nx8 that you were using a first or second focal plane? Sounds like maybe first, which can be a bit awkward if used to a F2.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
        So, was the nx8 that you were using a first or second focal plane? Sounds like maybe first, which can be a bit awkward if used to a F2.
        I now own his old one

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          I now own his old one
          Good snag! So is it F1 or F2?

Comment

Its a f1

Comment

Thanks, like you I have come to the conclusion that first focal plane reticles are hard on my aging eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                I never use the low end on this gun, it's on a 300 win mag, and I never use the 32x - so the sweet spot for me was around 20-25x which for this scope the reticle and eyebox is great. The 20x for me wasn't enough magnification for this gun. I have shot this gun to a mile with it, which works great.

If it was on a 6.5 prc or a varmint gun, I would definitely go with the 2-20x
                So I’ve got a decent mix. Everything from 22 creed to 300 win mag. My 7 mag is my long range rocket launcher. I’m running a 3-18. My 22 creed and 6 creed I’m running that 6-24 kahles. And the prc which was just built I pulled that NX8 and put a thermal on the grendel and the NX8 on the prc. I got real used to 18x even at a mile. I simply don’t shoot real long distance anymore but 18x never hindered me at all. I do usually use both extremes in an optic. From hunting I leave it on the lowest power for quick running shots. To full power for longer shots. Lots and lots of different opinions on em. It always is interesting to see different opinions from folks that have truly ran the higher end stuff. It’s certainly not a one size fits all category.

I will say that new 20x atacr intrigues me.

Comment

That new 20x ATACR I think is going to be just right. I would like to try the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 though, on paper it looks great.

Comment

I thought about the atacr but thats just a big step in size and weight. I guess bench shooting would be fine or just from the car to the blind.

It has full ED glass, so better picture than the other NF.

Comment

If they make a 4-20 F1 ATACR with the 42mm objective and lo profile locking turrets I’ll snag one the day they’re available on the street. I love my 4-16x42 ATACR and like my 2.5-20 NX8. The lo profile locking turret is the best thing I’ve ever had for a hunting optic like I use. I dial quite a bit, and sometimes I forget to zero my dial back. Jump in the buggy to set another stand, and I may jump a dog that needs quick killing. I can spin the knob to zero without ever taking my eyes off of him, and hold the elevation if needed. It locks onto zero, so I know exactly where it’s at without having to look at it.

Comment

That new 4-20 ATACR is tempting-- having a hard time with the weight-- 1/2lb heavier than the Mark 5 and the AMG.

I to am a fan of locking turrets (push button or pull and twist). The thing I dislike on the 4-16 ATACR is the whole bell rotation for magnification.

For the OP if you are mainly banging steel or hunting from a fixed position I think the weight shouldn't deter you and neither should the FFP--

We need a TBH guinea pig for the new ATACR!!

Comment

I use nothing but f1. The scope was just not for me. The Leupolds don’t get so fine at the low end. And I use the low end ALOT

Comment

Working...
                          X