Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury 250 EFI question

Question: 2005 Mercury EFI 250

Starting from cold, prime the bulb, turn the key and press in for automatic choke, engine starts up nicely and idles appropriately.

After that, same progression except priming bulb and not pushing in for choke. (I have checked for bulb tight and it has been fine) So just normal cranking after been running around...crank, try’s to start but doesn’t, seems to struggle for gas, so I push neutral button on shifter and push throttle up to give it some gas, it starts and I have to idle it back down and put in gear and runs normal.

Runs normal while running, when stopped and in neutral it seems to run fine until I turn it off...then struggles to start unless I give it some gas...

So cold starts are great, warm engine starts struggle unless give throttle

What gives?

idle speed stop just a little too low

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
      idle speed stop just a little too low

On cold start it cranks up fine and idles fine...

Not arguing, asking...if my idle speed was too low wouldn’t it struggle to start cold too?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
        On cold start it cranks up fine and idles fine...

Not arguing, asking...if my idle speed was too low wouldn’t it struggle to start cold too?
        Not necessarily because I believe when it’s cold it idles higher till it get to temp

Comment

Originally posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
          Not necessarily because I believe when it’s cold it idles higher till it get to temp
          Good point. Thanks, I'll look into this.

Comment

A buddy has a rude that dose the same thing starts right up in the am then cranks for what seems like 30 seconds after the Initial start up he just lets it ride tho

Comment

Yeah, I've been letting it ride for a few months, just figure I would try to figure it out in the slower season.

Comment

Try bumping the choke for a warm start.

Comment

I would ask over here, http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8 make sure to include your serial # or they won't respond.

Comment

Working...
                  X