Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default Toyota Tacoma question

Those of you that have a newer Toyota how do you like them? My main question is the bed space, do you feel the bed space is good enough for ice chest and hunting/fishing gear? I donít need to tow anything but if the bed of the truck is not really functional Iíll look at the Tundras. I had a 2004 Toyota taco that drive like a scalded ape and never had any issues except the bed size. It looks like the newer models are a little bit bigger.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

5' bed. I haul my gear, along with my buddies gear to our Mexico lease just fine usually.

Ice chests, bows, bags, blankets, tools, food, etc.

I will say it's pretty packed though.

Last edited by EastTexasMan; 02-14-2020 at 11:19 AM.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Going to be selling mine for that reason alone. Turns out itís too small for me. Going to eventually buy a tundra by the end of year. With my dogs kennel and a couple ice chests, the bed is full. Add a couple duffle bags and guitar/rifle cases and the entire truck is full to the top. Last couple ranch trips, I had to leave stuff behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Don't know if you consider a 2013 Tacoma newer but if I had to do it all over again I would go with a Tundra. More interior space.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

I have a 2015 and love it! but i was coming from a 2 door jeep wrangler, so i have LOTS of room now!!ha
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly

The good rule of thumb is that the bed can hold 3'x4'x5'. It's plenty for a cooler and fishing gear... and a kennel and a couple of suitcases and a couple of gun cases. I miss the bigger interior cab space from the Silverado more than I miss the bed space - usually if it's too big to fit in the Tacoma I was always going to need the trailer.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
rut-ro
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
The good rule of thumb is that the bed can hold 3'x4'x5'. It's plenty for a cooler and fishing gear... and a kennel and a couple of suitcases and a couple of gun cases. I miss the bigger interior cab space from the Silverado more than I miss the bed space - usually if it's too big to fit in the Tacoma I was always going to need the trailer.
Thatís a pretty good rule. Iím gonna keep my Silverado I case I need a trailer. But all my SxS and 4 wheeler are already on our property. I may pull the trigger on a new Taco pretty soon
Old 02-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I drove a 2nd gen Tacoma (09') for 10 years and now drive a 2017. The bed has always been plenty big for my hunting/fishing gear, however 80% of the time it's just me in the truck - the other 20% just one other guy. Four guys and their gear would likely be a problem. I don't mine occasionally hooking up a utility trailer for larger loads like my 4 wheeler
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
David_le
Four Point

We bought my dad a 2019 TRD off road with the 6' bed because we felt that the 5' was too small. I used to drive a taco but too many drawbacks to them:

1. Toyota is super proud of their vehicles so they are pricey. Tough to justify paying the same amount as a full size truck for a mid size.
2. They feel super top heavy. Cornering with any type of speed feels like you're going to roll the **** thing over.
3. I felt that the engine is undersized/underpowered. Just not enough ummpph.
4. Fuel efficiency not that great for a mid size and tank size is too small.

But ultimately the two best things about Toyota's are that they are reliable and hold value.
David_le is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
altez
Eight Point

Tacomas are also sold in the 6' bed. There is also the bed extender option.

Definitely test drive them if you get a chance. Not many ppl like the new 3.5 liter, but there is a tune for it.
altez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
easeup
Ten Point

mine has a 6ft bed. I sure like my taco. great ride. reliable.
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
woodsbound
Six Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I drive a 2016, traded my gas guzzling lifted full size in for it due to my work commute and have absolutely zero complaints. I can fit my hunting/fishing gear in back no problem on lease trips, but like Jerp, it is usually just me and maybe one other person, it wouldn't be doable with more than two ppl. It is WAY more capable than my full size when off road, I can get into tighter areas, much lighter, smaller wheel base etc. It is also nice to be able to fit into most parking spaces when in city & in cramped parking lots. It serves my current needs perfect, and dont see myself going back to full size again anytime in the future unless my needs change. If you dont need to tow anything fairly heavy, don't have multiple people riding with you to the lease & have owned a taco before that you were happy with except for the bed space, I say go for it.
woodsbound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

I have a '19 TRD Offroad with a 5' bed and don't have any issues hauling a couple ice chests, bow case, hunting bags, corn, etc. If you are worried about it, opt for the 6' bed and get that extra little bit of space. They aren't as common but they are out there. They aren't cheap for a mid sized truck but there's hardly anything that rivals the reliability or will hold value like a Toyota truck.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Mine was a great hunting rig, and bullet proof 4WD in the rocky West where I hunt. The bed space was not ever an issue for me. Towed our UTV and 16' single-axle travel trailer fine too. The rear seat is not very comfortable for adults on long trips over 4 hours.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #15
J-Carp
Ten Point

Put a diamondback bed cover on it and youíll be able to put coolers and other stuff on top and pack the bed with bags and cases. Added bonus is the ability to lock the cover for those gas station stops while loaded down with expensive gear
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Get a Tundra. Son has a Taco and he wishes he had gotten a Tundra like mine.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #17
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

I ordered the 6í bed in a SR5 4x4. Love it. Great little truck. Put a 2Ē lever in the front and running 265-75-R16s and Iím pleased with the look and the drive.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #18
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I got a 2019 long bed four door off road in September. I like it. I like the way my transmission shifts in my 2007 better but it has just under 300K miles and the 2019 is more comfortable and up to date.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #19
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post
Put a diamondback bed cover on it and youíll be able to put coolers and other stuff on top and pack the bed with bags and cases. Added bonus is the ability to lock the cover for those gas station stops while loaded down with expensive gear

I have been looking at this for a Tundra. Pricey, but look well built. How hard is it to remove if you need to haul something like a 4 wheeler?

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #20
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
I have been looking at this for a Tundra. Pricey, but look well built. How hard is it to remove if you need to haul something like a 4 wheeler?

Mine is on a Super Duty so a little different but itís the best money Iíve ever spent on an accessory for my truck!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #21
bowhunting1
Six Point

Hunt In: The trees high above.

The bed on the new tacos are a little deeper than the gen 1 you had so if you need a lid on it a few more things will fit. I would recommend the six foot bed if you're concerned about space. Be sure to test drive one because the transmission searches like crazy. I've heard you can fix that with a module called Shift Sense but having to add this to make the transmission function correctly is ridiculous. I feel they are also a little underpowered and poor fuel mileage for a six. Can't dispute the reliability and resale though.

Last edited by bowhunting1; 02-14-2020 at 09:33 PM.
bowhunting1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #22
Zackme96
Nubbin' Buck

I bought an '09 with a 6ft bed and camper shell in August. The bed is plenty big for my needs. I've fit three kayaks and fishing gear on a couple coast trips already. It's the perfect vehicle for my current lifestyle. However, I can definitely see myself upgrading to a Tundra in the future when I have a family and need more space.
Zackme96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #23
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

I had a Taco with the 3.5L. The transmission is horrible on that thing and likes to gear hunt. I came from an F-250 to a Taco and had it about a year and half. Traded it for a Tundra. Should have bought the Tundra in the first place like my wife said I suggested in the first place.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #24
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

I had an ‘18 Off Road. Good little rig but the 3.5 is a gutless sucker...
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #25
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post

They have two models. The standard and heavy duty. Standard which is what I have can haul 400lbs on top. The heavy duty can haul 1600 I believe. They are marketed to have 4 wheelers and SxS on them. Best money I have spent on my truck.

To answer your removal question. Took me ~45 min for initial install. I bet I could do it in 20-25 now that I know what Iím doing. Itís two bolts.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #26
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX
Default Toyota Tacoma question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
I had an Ď18 Off Road. Good little rig but the 3.5 is a gutless sucker...

Yeah, donít get the point of the 3.5. I chipped my 2012 4.0 and itís night and day compared to the Gen 3 - 3.5s. The reading Iíve done on the Gen3 is that the gearing in the rear in Fd. A few guys are swapping them out to take advantage of the greater HP in the 3.5.

Last edited by Gherkin05; 02-14-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

The bed space is the reason I made a rack to haul coolers above the rest of the stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #28
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Everyone seems to like the 4.0 over the 3.5 from what I hear.

I had a long bed taco and only got rid of it too get a bigger truck that hauled the boats better.

Fast forward years later and we have a lifted suburban and a lifted 4runner. Love the 4runner.

My taco had an ARE shell on it but I feel the 4runner is more functional.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #29
chicken fried
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings,TX

I drive 2019 off road 4x4 at work and love it. If this was my personal truck I would have the long bed. I do notice transmission hunt when the cruise is set over 75 and hitting a bunch of hills and over passes. Other than that I love it.
chicken fried is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #30
BeerMe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

I’m driving a 2019 Tacoma 4d w/ short bed. I came from a 2001 f250 4 full size 4d, so I was worried about bed size and cab size. Both have been fine so far. Only complaint is that I have less wiggle room backing trailers, which is a little difficult. That’s partly me just being a fatso.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #31
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post

This! I love mine, and plenty of room for a lease trip for me and my son. If I take the whole fam, I use my Ram.

savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #32
rut-ro
Ten Point

how much room are in the back seats of them? I have a 9 year old that would ride back there occasionally when we don't use my wife SUV.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:40 PM   #33
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
how much room are in the back seats of them? I have a 9 year old that would ride back there occasionally when we don't use my wife SUV.
For a kid not in a car seat it's plenty. Kid in a car seat.....very tight in the crew cab model. In the access cab it not a whole lot for either.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top