Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano
Default Wisdom Teeth Extraction

I know there are a couple of threads regarding whether or not to keep them. I've decided to have all 4 removed trying to be proactive as I dont want them effecting me when I'm offshore in the middle of my hitch with 20 days left of pain. All that being said, what can I expect? I'm not doing sedation, just simple numbing agent and pull. Will it hurt, how long does it take, does it bleed alot, how much pain will I be in after, how soon before I can eat regular food?

Any and all manly man remarks keep to yourself, I'm genuinely concerned and want to know what to expect.
Thanks all.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
waterdog
Pope & Young

son had 2 pulled at marine boot camp. they gave him two aspirin. went on a 10 mile hump that afternoon.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Worst thing I have ever had done, I could not move my jaw for 4 days, was bleeding nonstop. The bright side I lost 16 pounds.

Now, my best friend was eating a hamburger the same day as his surgery.

Affects everyone different I guess because we went to the same Doctor.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I had all four of mine pulled at once. They put me under though. Bleeding was minimal for a couple of hours. Little to no pain afterwards. At the end of the day I went to Sonic and got a double meat with tator tots. I'm pretty sure that's not the norm though.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
HTOWN
Four Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

I'm 44, had 3 removed last year. Was painless, didn't bother me at all. Just felt weird for a few days.
DON'T eat what your not supposed to.
I'd get it done all over again. Wasnt as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be.
HTOWN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

Mine were a night mare. roots curled slightly and dentist had to bread them piece by piece. No way would I opt to pull they after what I went thru. surgery and sleep is the way.
coop2564 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I had mine done at 25, surgery wasn't that bad because I was KTFO, I dont recommend trying to billybadazz through that one.

The worst part for me was the hellacious acid reflux from taking vicodin on an empty stomach for the next few days after.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

It wasn't so bad...until I got dry sockets. That was the 2nd worst pain I've ever experienced, behind kidney stones. I had all 4 extracted at one time. I was completely under for the procedure.

Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 02-13-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: ...
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
Jspradley
Ten Point

At the very least I'd recommend nitrous
Old 02-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
I know there are a couple of threads regarding whether or not to keep them. I've decided to have all 4 removed trying to be proactive as I dont want them effecting me when I'm offshore in the middle of my hitch with 20 days left of pain. All that being said, what can I expect? I'm not doing sedation, just simple numbing agent and pull. Will it hurt, how long does it take, does it bleed alot, how much pain will I be in after, how soon before I can eat regular food?

Any and all manly man remarks keep to yourself, I'm genuinely concerned and want to know what to expect.
Thanks all.
you're going to a lot of macho comments on here as well, is just laughable.
Anyway, I had all 4 of mine pulled at once. If I had to redo it it, would've just done one side at a time. Of course, mine were giving me problems with aching all the time. Was probably around 30 yrs old and they were firmly rooted. Bled for a few days after but I took care of the gums and it healed right up. Not much pain after either, took some Ibuprofen a day or two.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
LWC
Ten Point

All I remember was waking up in the middle and doc standing over me with a hammer whooping on my teeth to break them up to get them out. Other than that, it was a breeze lol.
LWC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

No sedation for me, didnt really hurt for about 5 dd's days then one got impacted( I believe that was the term they used) that hurt like hell for a couple days
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
All I remember was waking up in the middle and doc standing over me with a hammer whooping on my teeth to break them up to get them out. Other than that, it was a breeze lol.
Lol. I remember after I woke up I told the nurse/dental assistant that I loved her!
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
Lol. I remember after I woke up I told the nurse/dental assistant that I loved her!
Hahaha! I had mine done back in my mid 20's and actually dated the assistant for a year!
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #15
BubRay
Four Point

Hunt In: Albany

Had mine pulled with just a local and went from the chair directly to the lake on a 4 day fishing trip. Spit some blood that first day but after that good to go.
BubRay is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: midwest

They knocked me out, first day was fine, sleepy, but little to no pain. Next day I talked a lot and was to active. Face swelled up to a square (which is normal) had occasionally bleeding and ate mash potatoes and apple sauce for a week with a baby spoon and then the swelling started to go down. After day five I started to lightly chew and eat again and was fine by the 8-9th day. Swelling went away soon after. Moral of the story take it easy the first couple of days and you will save yourself from a prolonged experience.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #17
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co

I did the same type of procedure as you're looking to do. Worst experience of my life.... The internal noise of them breaking the roots and literally ripping them out was awful. The doctor had his knee up on the bed yanking and pulling to get them out. I remember choking and coughing on the blood during all of this. Other than just the pressure the pain wasn't to unbearable, just definitely had some. I had to get my gums stitched up and there was mild bleeding for a day or two after but the recovery was a piece of cake compared to the procedure. I used cotton balls and laid up for the remainder of the day. Next day I was up and going like normal. Rinse your mouth with room temperature water and don't eat anything that will gum up and fill the holes (mainly breads).

If I had to do it again I would ask to be put under in a heart beat.
bowhunter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #18
tvc184
Pope & Young

I never had mine removed. I am 64 years old and never had an issue. The three dentists that I have used for the last 35 years never recommended removing them.

If no need....
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

I think it varies by individual. I had mine done 3 weeks ago. Oral surgeon said that once the numbing was gone that I could eat whatever I felt like and he recommended eating a bunch as long as I rinsed thoroughly afterward. He claimed it promoted healing. The 3 that he took out were all fully in place and exposed so there wasn't any cutting or anything necessary. The surgeon had me in and out in under 20min. I pulled my gauze out after about an hour, maybe 2, and never put any back in. Doc told to take 600mg each of tylenol and ibuprofen every 4-6hrs. While not extremely painful, I wasn't fully comfortable until early last week.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #20
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Dry socket is a mutha!!!
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #21
jlp04c
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
They knocked me out, first day was fine, sleepy, but little to no pain. Next day I talked a lot and was to active. Face swelled up to a square (which is normal) had occasionally bleeding and ate mash potatoes and apple sauce for a week with a baby spoon and then the swelling started to go down. After day five I started to lightly chew and eat again and was fine by the 8-9th day. Swelling went away soon after. Moral of the story take it easy the first couple of days and you will save yourself from a prolonged experience.

I had mine pulled on Jan. 2nd of this year... 33 years old. My experience was almost exactly this way..

Your biggest pain days will be 3-5. Make really sure you follow the pain meds schedule EXACTLY. Don't get behind on that. another pro tip: Buy a pack of tube socks and jam ice packs into them, then tie them around your head tight to the jaw. It'll be a nice compressiion and you won't have to hold them yourself. I basically stayed iced for the first 2 days.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I had all 4 removed when I was 18, they put me under. I was never in any pain but I was bleeding like crazy for a few days. It was like a murder scene when I would spit, I actually ate popcorn and regular food that evening.
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
jlp04c
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp04c View Post
I had mine pulled on Jan. 2nd of this year... 33 years old. My experience was almost exactly this way..

Your biggest pain days will be 3-5. Make really sure you follow the pain meds schedule EXACTLY. Don't get behind on that. another pro tip: Buy a pack of tube socks and jam ice packs into them, then tie them around your head tight to the jaw. It'll be a nice compressiion and you won't have to hold them yourself. I basically stayed iced for the first 2 days.
Oh and do it sedated.. at least partially sedated. Its a quick procedure, but I cant imagine doing it and being able to hear/feel them. They are big teeth, and they dont waste any time getting them out, if you catch my drift.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #24
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I had all 4 removed when I was in my 20's. Soft food for a few days but nothing terrible. None of mine were impacted though either so that is probably why I had no issues.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
deerplanter
Ten Point

I had 2 of mine extracted like that on the same visit. The top one no issue other than the sound of it breaking out. The second one took 2 hours about 8 shots and ended up with the dentist in the chair with me with his knee in my chest yanking on it. The next day I thought my jaw was broken and two days later went to a oral surgeon and did x-rays. It ended up being badly infected and took about a month to heal. I kept the other two and if they ever have to come out I'm going to an oral surgeon so I can be knocked out. That was roughly 30 years ago.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #26
cap50948
Four Point

Hunt In: Hemphill, Erath, Leon, Freestone

Had two top wisdoms pulled at same time. Could eat very little real for for a 1 11/2 days. Then just don't eat anything that falls apart or could get stuck in socket. Will take a few weeks to completely heal over. Pain was pretty minimal, jaw was sore a couple days. Had the same procedure as you. Shot to numb the pain, a little laughing gas which didn't work.

The weird part is hearing the tools on the tooth and the sound of it coming out of the socket. You will feel a strong pressure on the tooth, doesn't hurt just weird feeling.
cap50948 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #27
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Had my 2 bottoms pulled when I was 18...still don't know why, I guess the dentist just need some extra Christmas money.

54 now and my upper right tooth started coming down about 20 years ago, and I swear it's never gonna be completely down. Don't think I even have one on the upper left.

Pro: I used to have a decent gap between my two front teeth, completely closed now.
Con: It has a inside corner about the size of one of my canine teeth and just as pointy... and I frequently bite the living hell out of my tongue when chewing gum.
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #28
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Your mouth is one of those areas that heal fairly quickly. The local they give is good enough to block the pain during extraction and a bit thereafter. For me it really did not bother me much the next day. If you can keep you tongue out of the empty spots, it will heal faster. Salt water rinses aid in the healing process.
You will be fine. Not a big deal.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #29
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Got all of mine pulled at once. Mine went very well however I was in my late teens early 20's when I got it done.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #30
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Kinney County

I had all of mine done when I was 17. I was put under and woke up with minimal pain. I was sleepy the first day and slept most of the day.

Next day pain was minimal and I was OK taking Advil and Tylenol . I never took the hydrocodone they prescribed me as the pain wasn't severe at all.

I don't fully remember as i'm 35 now but i'd say i was back to 100% after a week give or take a day
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #31
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
I had all four of mine pulled at once. They put me under though. Bleeding was minimal for a couple of hours. Little to no pain afterwards. At the end of the day I went to Sonic and got a double meat with tator tots. I'm pretty sure that's not the norm though.
Very similar to my experience.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #32
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora

So I was told mine have grown into my sinus cavity. I've had regular occurring headaches for about 6 months, and was told this was the cause. Anyone ever had theirs grow into the sinus cavity? How bad is the recovery?
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #33
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Why would you choose to stay conscious during this procedure?
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #34
Hog Grim Reaper
Six Point

They just numbed mine and popped them out I went back to work that day. It was a couple hundred bucks vs a couple thousand to be sedated out of pocket. But it all depends on the roots on how bad it will be.
Hog Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #35
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

I appreciate the responses guys. It gives me a little better idea of what to expect. Obviously not excited about this, but it beats having an issue 80+miles offshore with nothing to do for the pain. Thanks for everything and I'll keep yall posted after extraction March 31
Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #36
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Why would you choose to stay conscious during this procedure?
Chose this because it's only $376 to do extraction with numbing agent and laughing gas vs. $1145 for sedation and extraction. Obviously this is all after insurance. Cant afford that.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #37
DallasCoon12
Six Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, México

If I had it to do over again I would have done it at 18 instead of 33. Mine hurt for two months. Miserable first two weeks.
DallasCoon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #38
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I had mine done with local. Not bad at all. Got it done on my way to go fishing. Just be careful not to get dry socket.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #39
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Quote:
Chose this because it's only $376 to do extraction with numbing agent and laughing gas vs. $1145 for sedation and extraction. Obviously this is all after insurance. Cant afford that.
You should be good with local and gas, i had mine done 20 years ago that way and didnt really have issues. Rinse with ST37 twice a day and go on about life.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #40
darralld
Eight Point

Have them knock you out. So much easier. If you don't get dry socket it will be a smooth recovery.
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #41
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Nitrous will help a lot but man, if you can save up that extra $700 it might be well worth it
Old 02-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #42
Agdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, OK

Had them knock me out to do all 4 of mine at 30ish years old. I was fine the first day but then got severe dry socket on my bottom two. It completely changes the game in terms of pain and recovery. I didn’t break any rules, just happened. Good luck to you!
Agdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #43
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I had all 4 done at the dental medical school in San Antonio for $16.00. They are always looking for patients to work on. I did get a dry socket on the one the instructor did and it hurt like hell. Try not to spit and you won't get a dry socket just wipe your mouth out instead. Good luck if you don't get a dry socket you'll be fine but just take it easy for a few days
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #44
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I had it done, not bad. But I’m a wimp when it comes to mouth pain. Nothing worse!!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #45
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I was about 20 when I had mine out. My entire head hurt and my dentist couldn't figure out why. Changed dentists and in 5 mins he told me my wisdoms had to come out. I had been in intense pain for 2 months eating every kind of pain pill I could get my hands on like candy, with no relief.
Got in the chair, they put an iv in and dripped valium, and they could have removed my brain for all I cared. Took about 4 hours as none of them were exposed. No pain during, but an hour after intense pain for the rest of the day. I ate soup for 3 days and then I could do beef stew. After a week I could eat anything. Best of all, the intense pain in my skull was gone. Warm salt water rinse was ecstasy. There is no way I would consider doing that again while full awake. And the sounds of breaking tooth and flesh was incredible, but with the iv valium, no big deal.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #46
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I was told for years that I needed expensive oral surgery to extract my wisdom teeth that were causing problems. Even with insurance it was a lot of money. I changed dentists coincidentally when our insurance changed and on my first visit the lady dentist, she said you really should have those wisdom teeth pulled out. I told her my story and she said I can pull those out now. Hour and a half later I was at home.

Last edited by Chew; 02-14-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #47
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I was told for years that I needed expensive oral surgery to extract my wisdom teeth that were causing problems. Even with insurance it was a lot of money. I changed dentists coincidentally when our insurance changed and on my first visit the lady dentist, she said you really should have those wisdom teeth pulled out. I told her my story and she said I can pull those out now. Hour and a half later I was at home.
Elk ivory!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #48
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

At 19 I had all 4 pulled. Well 2 pulled and 2 cut/broke out. I was put under so didn’t fell anything. Woke up went home and slept a couple hours. Was back at work the next day taking only over the counter meds every couple hrs the first day. Just follow the after care instruction so you don’t get a dry socket or bust it open. You will be fine.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #49
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

I'm scheduled for feb 23rd.. all 4 coming out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #50
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
Worst thing I have ever had done, I could not move my jaw for 4 days, was bleeding nonstop. The bright side I lost 16 pounds.

Now, my best friend was eating a hamburger the same day as his surgery.

Affects everyone different I guess because we went to the same Doctor.
I had it bad also, but everyone else I know said it was no big deal, I guess I'm just a panzy
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top