Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett
Default How many of you have actually shot a banded bird?

I've been duck and goose hunting for about 10 years now and have never even been with someone who has taken a banded bird.

So, it has me thinking how common are they? 1% of birds taken or even less? I'd love to know how many have you taken or seen taken by buddies in the blind. (and how you determined who shot the bird).

PS: this is a bored at work post to start an interesting conversation
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
Goldensammy
Four Point

1 dove in NE Louisiana roughly 13 years ago and 1 teal on the Katy/Brookshire prairie 4 or 5 years ago. I know I killed each of these. I think I've seen one or 2 others killed while in the blind. This is over the past 25 years.
Goldensammy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

I have killed quite a few, but they don't band as many as they did back in the 60's, 70's. and 80's. They have a better handle on migration patterns now. It also depends which types of ducks you are shooting. I would guess that more than 50% of mottled ducks are banded, and, by far the largest number of bands are on mallards. If you're not shooting a lot of mallards, your chances go way down.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
CTR0022
Ten Point

They are rare in texas. The guys you see with a whole lanyard of bands either hunt near a banding location or steal them from client shot birds.

I see alot on social media of guys shooting a half dozen banded candles a hunt, but that's just bc they hunt near a refuge or wma that bands those canada geese.

There is a big difference between shooting a bird in texas that was banded somewhere in canada and shooting a bird that was banded in the same county.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
crowmagnum
Eight Point

I have two on the board.1 snow goose and1 blue wing teal.The SG tag was lost during cleaning and the BWT was tagged in Maryland.Both were killed on the KatyPrairie in the early 80's.
crowmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I have 5 or 6 bands
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

My first waterfowl hunt I was ever on a guy with us shot a banded sandhill. Other than that, none for me.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Iíve killed 3 in Texas and seen 3 others. We killed 2 in one hunt in one hole and a third from the same hole a few weeks later. I have a cousin that has two lanyards full. Almost all killed in Texas. But he kills 1000 birds a year so... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

I have 2.................
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
MillsJake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County, Kimble County

Ive never shot or been there at the time but my coworker has shot 3 banded ducks and 1 goose. The goose band was old and wore out enough you couldn't read it
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

One for me, Pintail hen in the LLM
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Iíve shot 3. 2 Mallards out of the same pothole in Tyler that Iím sure now is developed. Shot different years same location. Shot a teal in Dayton. I have been extremely lucky
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
lil jimmy
Four Point

Hunt In: Laredo

Iíve killed 2 banded birds. First one was a mottled duck second was a speckle belly, both in the same year. I havenít killed a banded bird since!!

lil jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #14
hunt247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Saint Jo

i got one
hunt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I grew up in coastal S.E. Tx. In the 70's and 80's we killed a lot of ducks in SE Tx. and SW La. Back then I was able to hunt about 5 days a week. Banded ducks and geese were not uncommon but were not an everyday deal either. It was always kind of neat to get one. You could report the number to the Feds and they would send you a little certificate with information on the bird, age, sex, and where it was banded. Over the years, I took about 9 banded ducks and one goose. The band on a G.W.Teal was very small. Shot a bull sprig that was so old, the band had almost worn through around his leg and would have soon worn away. I recall a story in the Pt. Arthur News reporting some guy had taken a bull sprig somewhere in Jefferson County that had been banded in Siberia. Don't know if it was true or not.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

Shot a banded dove in Frio County a few years back. It was banded in Fort Hayes, Kansas. I'm not sure I've heard of one being killed that far from where it was banded. I need to find the band!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #17
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

I have 5 duck and 3 geese. 2 hen mallards, 1 drake teal, 1 mottled hen, 1 hooded merganser and 3 specks. All back from to 80s. I was lucky, uncle was a rice farmer back then and we hunted alot.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #18
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

Out of the 40 years or so a Killin waterfowl....I have killed countless neck banded geese and even a few ďbounty bandsĒ
In that time I have killed exactly 1 banded duck. An old pintail hen that was so old she probably was just lookin for a place to give up the ghost and therefore made it easy for me

K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

I have one, mallard hen shot just off the Sabine river.
Dugie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #20
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

I've got 4. First one I ever got was from a pintail that a hawk had taken down by a pond.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #21
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett

Man these are a lot more common than I honestly thought. But it does sound like a lot of older bands, mainly in East texas its wood ducks and a few mallards 70-30 split
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
offthemap
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Knox, Foard

I have 1 band from a mallard drake I shot off the Neches River several years ago. It was 9 years old and banded way up north.

I have a few others I inherited from my granddad with the most coveted being a band from a Harlequin duck he shot in the 60's either off the Trinity river or Neches, I can't remember right now. It was banded by a private party in either Maryland or Michigan (again, can't recall exactly) and just has an address on it. So, my granddad sat down & wrote a letter and I can imagine has asked something along the lines of "what kind of hybrid wood duck wizardry is this?!" The man wrote back saying that it was actually a Harlequin duck and they only banded somewhere less than 100 over a couple years.

I still have that 60+ year old hand written letter from the guy who banded it.

Last edited by offthemap; 02-12-2020 at 11:32 AM.
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
Passthrough
Pope & Young

2 mallard drakes 1 pintail drake and 1 WW dove. Was with my son and he shot 2 banded mourning doves on back to back hunts.
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #24
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Been chasing ducks and geese for 33 years now and have 4 duck bands and 3 goose bands. Ducks were 3 mallards and one pintail hen. Geese were two snows and one Speck with a bonus Tarsus band.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #25
zztex
Pope & Young

1 whitewing dove shot on a WWA hunt in Mercedes. Our group got about 3 bands that day. They were banded less than a mile from where we shot them. 1 teal in Anahuac, and 1 snow goose in Anahuac
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #26
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I shot a banded dove several years ago. My husband has shot lots of banded ducks many years ago when he used to duck hunt a lot.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #27
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Fairly regular occurrence back in the mid 70's in central Louisiana. Mostly mallards in the rice fields. Few doves on occasion.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #28
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Not a one...……...YET!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #29
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Got 1 - a hen wood duck from the Katy Prairie of all places. On that lease for over 10 years and it was the ONLY wood duck we ever shot out there. Property I shot her on is just west of Katy and surrounded by the airport and soon to be houses. Sort of sad.

Cool thing was when I got the certificate back, it said she was banded at a refuge on the Missouri River in Nebraska that spring. Looked at my big US map on the wall and you couldn't have drawn a straighter north-south line with a ruler. When she headed south for the winter, she headed straight south.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default How many of you have actually shot a banded bird?

7 bands for me.....5 mallards and one pintail....all drakes...and one green wing hen.

Couple of missed opportunities I remember vividly. Only two times I have flipped for one on a same bird shot between two guys I lost them both. Another time, we had a single mallard drake come in floating from my side on a slow day. Guy who owned the placed said kill that bird to my buddy...he popped up and folded it first shot and it was banded. Only duck we killed that day.. Also had a single snow come to my right and I was on the end and I killed it. Guide grabbed it and put it into the pile behind a guy next to me who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn standing inside it with the door closed. We had pretty good action so I guess he wasn't checking for bands. That guy had two specs, a canada, a "blue" and a snow in his pile at the end of the day. Snow was banded. Didn't want to be THAT guy. He was ecstatic and he ended up mounting it as it was his first band .......so it was worth swallowing my tongue.

Used to hunt with 2 buddies that were flooded timber mallard purists and they had a lot more than me.....

Couple of pics on my computer through the years.....

Name:  Bling-Bling.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  ZJason Band #4.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  ZJason Band #3.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  mALLET BANDED1.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  S6300240.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  S6300231.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  S6300243.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  S6300126.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  S6300130.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  Smart.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  28.3 KB

Last edited by Smart; 02-12-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #31
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Beaumont

I grew up hunting SETX around the Winnie/High Island/Labelle areas. Spent about 5 years in Lubbock guiding hunts. We killed thousands of ducks/geese/cranes in Lubbock and not one time did I ever have a banded bird killed up there. I have killed 6 banded birds myself, 4 mottled ducks banded from Louisiana to Matagorda, one specklebelly that was banded in Deadhorse Alaska and one banded teal that was banded in Nunavut Canada 17 days before I shot it in High Island Texas. I have been around for about two dozen other times when friends have killed banded birds. I've lost a few flips for birds and if I'm hunting with a new hunter nowadays and we both shoot at a bird that ends up being banded I typically just go ahead and concede it to them. I actually lost a flip for a banded tree duck that me and my brother had both "shot". I had a buddy there who said he didn't even shoot at the group but when he realized we were going to draw for it he wanted in and he ended up winning. It was no big deal and he was pumped, just never could figure out why he'd want a band from a bird that he had not even shot at.

I had a group of friends that hunted an old ricefield just down the dirt road from some of our property that had a big group of tree ducks move in and over the first split one season they killed 17 banded tree ducks. It was one big group that stayed together from a banding location in Louisiana.

Last edited by gander; 02-12-2020 at 12:04 PM.
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #32
Cullbuck
Four Point

Hunt In: setx

I have 4, 2 mottled ducks, a pintail, and a greenwing teal. ive seen probably a dozen that my buddies have shot including a banded dove.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #33
Smart
Pope & Young

Jealous of you guys with a mottled band. I've killed a few in coastal areas including a beautiful drake I mounted, but never shot a banded one.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #34
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Beaumont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Jealous of you guys with a mottled band. I've killed a few in coastal areas including a beautiful drake I mounted, but never shot a banded one.
It's funny, most my buddies that duck hunt seriously down here have a couple banded mottled ducks it seems and I believe all of us would kill for one of those banded mallards like you have killed. My brother has about 10 bands I believe now and duck hunts more than anyone I know and he has surprisingly only killed one banded mottled duck I believe but has killed 4 banded mallards.
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #35
Jtrisler
Six Point

Hunt In: Harrisonburg, La and Brown County, Illinois

I shot a banded wood duck several years ago. He was banded in Ohio that same year and made his way to Louisiana during the winter.
Jtrisler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #36
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
by far the largest number of bands are on mallards. If you're not shooting a lot of mallards, your chances go way down.

This is the truth. You gotta hunt the species they band the most. They made up the majority for us by a large margin.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #37
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I have 3 goose bands and one neck collar. One was double banded. Another guy wanted to claim it so i gave him the $10 reward band. I killed a banded mottle duck a couple years ago. I was told they didn't have any info on it and that sometimes they fly off before the bander records it.

Last edited by FVR JR; 02-12-2020 at 12:24 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
Tykam
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk, McLennan, Falls, Limestone, Hamilton counties

One GWT drake that was banded in North Dakota for me and a Pintail drake for my buddy that was banded in Alaska. Both in Central Texas. We have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 ducks and 2 were banded. .2%
Tykam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #39
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

I have one mallard drake and one Ross's band. I've also shot a banded dove around Waco.

I've witnessed a handful of other bands be taken. When I was 13 or 14 I was on a hunt when we killed a mallard that had a backpack/gps unit on it. We were hunting the La'Anguille river in NE Arkansas and someone had noticed the backpack when the group made their first swing. That was pretty cool!
Kmart49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #40
Duckologist
Eight Point

After 42 years, I got 1 mottled duck, 1 pintail hen, 1 wood duck hen and 1 Eastern Gobbler.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #41
texaslongshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills

i have one
texaslongshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #42
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gander View Post
It's funny, most my buddies that duck hunt seriously down here have a couple banded mottled ducks it seems and I believe all of us would kill for one of those banded mallards like you have killed. My brother has about 10 bands I believe now and duck hunts more than anyone I know and he has surprisingly only killed one banded mottled duck I believe but has killed 4 banded mallards.

Yes it is. lol.... We want what we don't have...

My holy grails were a cinnamon teal, a banded pintail and a banded mottled. Got my banded pintail on a deer lease farm pond, of all places, in the DFW area. Funny thata 3 acre farm pond/tank produced it after chasing them along the coast where I'm from and then hunting the big water lakes up here in North Texas in my 18 years of waterfowling.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #43
bowtechbandit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

I have a mallard drake and a green wing teal hen. have been on hunts over the years where several have been killed. mainly mallards. we would usually let who ever in the group have the band if they never had got one.
bowtechbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #44
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

I duck hunted hard for 20 years. Took me 15 years to kill one and I got three in the last 5 years. 1-Whistler and 2-Mottled ducks.
droebuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #45
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

In my youth waterfowl was my passion. Hunted hard 12 years or so, shot 1 Wood Duck Drake and 1 Snow Goose with a band in all those years.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #46
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

I’ve got 15 or so. Wood ducks, teal, mallard, gadwall, pintail, canvasback, mottled, whistler and snow geese. All killed in SETX and SWLA.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #47
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
7 bands for me.....5 mallards and one pintail....all drakes...and one green wing hen.

Couple of missed opportunities I remember vividly. Only two times I have flipped for one on a same bird shot between two guys I lost them both. Another time, we had a single mallard drake come in floating from my side on a slow day. Guy who owned the placed said kill that bird to my buddy...he popped up and folded it first shot and it was banded. Only duck we killed that day.. Also had a single snow come to my right and I was on the end and I killed it. Guide grabbed it and put it into the pile behind a guy next to me who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn standing inside it with the door closed. We had pretty good action so I guess he wasn't checking for bands. That guy had two specs, a canada, a "blue" and a snow in his pile at the end of the day. Snow was banded. Didn't want to be THAT guy. He was ecstatic and he ended up mounting it as it was his first band .......so it was worth swallowing my tongue.

Used to hunt with 2 buddies that were flooded timber mallard purists and they had a lot more than me.....

Couple of pics on my computer through the years.....

Attachment 991839

Attachment 991840

Attachment 991841

Attachment 991842

Attachment 991843

Attachment 991844

Attachment 991845

Attachment 991846

Attachment 991847

Attachment 991858
Skack is back!! Howís Ol Bishop been?
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #48
brown dogs
Four Point

Hunting in the Mississippi Delta I have killed 5 banded ducks. All mallards. One was double banded. The 2nd band was green and had a $10 reward on it. Another one that I sent info in on was odd as instead of a certificate, I received a questionnaire from the Feds requesting exact location where the duck was harvested. At the bottom of the questionnaire was a statement about fines and penalties if duck was taken illegally. After several phone calls trying to figure out what the deal was I finally got my answer. The duck was banded somewhere Northwest of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and should have been in the Central Flyway and not the Mississippi Flyway. Go figure
brown dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #49
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Skack is back!! How’s Ol Bishop been?
Hahahahahahaha.....that dude faded off into the sunset when his alterego got ***** slapped by the bowhunting bug again....oh... and got old... ..

Bishop seems to be doing good. He and OYW are still hard at it!

Neither as cool as pretty boy DukSlayer..
Old 02-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #50
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Montgomery co. Trinity co.

Shot a banded blue wing teal in 2014. First shot of the season. Also duck hunted a friends property one time for the first time ever, he had never even duck hunted, had a drake and a hen pintail circling our spread and I told him to shoot the sprig and I’d take the hen. Birds come in and we both fold our birds. His was one of the most unique colored pintail drakes I’d ever seen and it was banded
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top