Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Sharecropper
Ten Point
 
Sharecropper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wood County
Hunt In: Backyard
Default Fixed wireless internet . .

I'm looking to get away from satellite internet . . $80/mo for 25GB . . A friend suggested that I look into fixed wireless internet . . Anyone have this service?. .

#fillthepipeline
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point
 
CabezaBlanca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rock Island, TX
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

In for this. I have Hughesnet and it is miserably slow.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
camoclad
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: fort worth
Hunt In: central tx
Default

I think verizon and a few companies offer a home mobile internet system now. I've been using my phones hotspot for home internet for a few years now. It can be done
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
John Paul
Ten Point
 
John Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton
Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal
Default

OTR Mobile. We are in a rural area, truly unlimited and with good router we are pushing 25 to 35 mbps download. $60 a month and e can take it with us anywhere ATT cell service. We switched two months ago, totally blown away.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
bignick612
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winchester, Tx
Hunt In: Fayette, Lee, Victoria Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
OTR Mobile. We are in a rural area, truly unlimited and with good router we are pushing 25 to 35 mbps download. $60 a month and e can take it with us anywhere ATT cell service. We switched two months ago, totally blown away.
This is what I use also. I have been very impressed with it so far. I'm able to stream on 2 TVs and use phones all at the same time.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

I have a Peplink cradle point I bought online. Plugged in a ATT unlimited card and boom internet. I pay $120 a month for the card and stream somewhere around 1 TB of data. You basically can run all the TV's and unlimited users. Speed is anywhere from 25 to 50 depending on the tower.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hunt County, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

Great thread. We have Viasat and it has 2 very consistent things about it. Terribly expensive and terribly awful.

I would like to look at a cellular option but phone service inside our house is not good at all. Are you guys solving that with a cell booster?
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

AT&T has fixed wireless. “If” you can get it where you live then I suggest you do it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Great thread. We have Viasat and it has 2 very consistent things about it. Terribly expensive and terribly awful.

I would like to look at a cellular option but phone service inside our house is not good at all. Are you guys solving that with a cell booster?



A cell booster near a window will help you out especially if you have a metal foot that’s causing poor signal inside.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #10
Sharecropper
Ten Point
 
Sharecropper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wood County
Hunt In: Backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
AT&T has fixed wireless. “If” you can get it where you live then I suggest you do it.
This? . .

#fillthepipeline
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
JustinJ
Pope & Young
 
JustinJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mckinney
Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County
Default

OTR mobile for me.

I loved calling Viasat to cancel that crap.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!
Default

We tried ATT fixed wireless internet...it was sub par and easily burned thew the data 215gb. Then they start hitting you with overage fees.

Switched to OTR Unlimited $60 a couple months ago. We tried it out as much as possible the first month to see if there would be any issues or throttling back. Burned 615gb without any issue. This was using a 6 yo ATT hot spot.

Canceled DTV too and life is allsome!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
Texasboy_fitnes
Four Point
 
Texasboy_fitnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Following
Texasboy_fitnes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
Blackmouth
Eight Point
 
Blackmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Default

Can you run multiple devices off of the OTR?
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
sambo73
Pope & Young
 
sambo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: van,tx
Hunt In: van zandt cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
OTR Mobile. We are in a rural area, truly unlimited and with good router we are pushing 25 to 35 mbps download. $60 a month and e can take it with us anywhere ATT cell service. We switched two months ago, totally blown away.
is it for AT&T only?
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #16
KDinTX
Ten Point
 
KDinTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hewitt
Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman68 View Post
I have a Peplink cradle point I bought online. Plugged in a ATT unlimited card and boom internet. I pay $120 a month for the card and stream somewhere around 1 TB of data. You basically can run all the TV's and unlimited users. Speed is anywhere from 25 to 50 depending on the tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
We tried ATT fixed wireless internet...it was sub par and easily burned thew the data 215gb. Then they start hitting you with overage fees.

Switched to OTR Unlimited $60 a couple months ago. We tried it out as much as possible the first month to see if there would be any issues or throttling back. Burned 615gb without any issue. This was using a 6 yo ATT hot spot.

Canceled DTV too and life is allsome!

Good to know, we've been thinking about this for when we travel. Since we stream everything we can burn 1TB fast.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #17
John Paul
Ten Point
 
John Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton
Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal
Default

OTR gets its signal off of ATT towers but its not an ATT service. Its really made for Over The Road kinda of folks because you can charge it and take it with you in your vehicle or TT. Or take the battery out and plug it in, I coupled it with a Apple Airport which is a back up drive and a killer router in one. You don't have to have an ATT account just buy it on OTR mobile and its 60 bucks a month truly unlimited. I Believe the documents said they would not question your usage unless you were going over 500 gigs a month or using in an office setting.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #18
John Paul
Ten Point
 
John Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton
Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal
Default

Yes, multiple devices. Our kids are usually streaming and as well as my wife and I and at the same time I can be on my iPad. At the house I only have two to three bars, if I could get 5 bars some how it would sign.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #19
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hunt County, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

For you guys using OTR, how good is your normal AT&T cell signal inside your house??
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #20
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post
Can you run multiple devices off of the OTR?
Yep, tv, computer and phones no problem
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hunt County, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
OTR mobile for me.

I loved calling Viasat to cancel that crap.


I tried to call and cancel Viasat at week 5 of having their service and, as you know, I was stuck.
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
is it for AT&T only?
No, they just use the ATT towers. SIM card is OTR.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
This? . .

#fillthepipeline


If you have Frontier available then that’s probably your best option.



Fixed wireless is suppose to be for people who can’t get copper Uverse or fiber internet. It’s a way to reach folks in rural areas where hardline service just isn’t available. Your speed will all depend on your location

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-11-2020 at 12:15 PM.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #24
sambo73
Pope & Young
 
sambo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: van,tx
Hunt In: van zandt cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
No, they just use the ATT towers. SIM card is OTR.
ok, AT&T towers by us suck.....
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #25
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
ok, AT&T towers by us suck.....
Prolly not for you then.....
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #26
Big_gun
Ten Point
 
Big_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallis
Hunt In: Open for Suggestions
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman68 View Post
I have a Peplink cradle point I bought online. Plugged in a ATT unlimited card and boom internet. I pay $120 a month for the card and stream somewhere around 1 TB of data. You basically can run all the TV's and unlimited users. Speed is anywhere from 25 to 50 depending on the tower.

$120 a month? isn't that high? curious as to how this compares to OTR Mobile
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
MarkV
Pope & Young
 
MarkV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Franklin
Default

Sorry to hijack but this thread has helped me a bunch. Just started looking at OTR and was wanting to see if anyone had feedback with it.

You guys that use it did you get the netgear router they offer or go another route?

We use a booster to get phone service but have pretty good service with it so was looking at going this route just not sure what all I need to have wifi throughout my house. Thanks
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #28
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
ok, AT&T towers by us suck.....


If you don’t have good AT&T cell signal then the OTR may not be your best bet.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #29
John Paul
Ten Point
 
John Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton
Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal
Default

MarkV

I switched to OTR and bought the OTR Netgear Nighthawk package with the SIM card already installed. You don't have to have a router if the Netgear device is close to your TV and or devices, but I mean real close. The Nighthawk has a network cable on the back and I connected with my Apple Airport which serves as a router and works great. 2400 sq ft house and 25-35 download speed 98% of the time. I have been looking at cell boosters and or antennas for the Nighthawk OTR device because it does have two T9 ports on the back for external antennas, etc... I get 2 to 3 bars at the house and it works great, but really wanting to see if I can get 4 or 5 just for kicks. I bet the speed would be 50-60 if I could.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #30
LBLHUNTER
Four Point
 
LBLHUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hunt In: Bertram and Sweetwater Tx
Default

I use western broadband. It's a line of sight to a tower. Although I cant see the tower it pointing at. We love it. Got 4I'd of cable and run all our devices and tvs on it. I'm in a rural area
LBLHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #31
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
This? . .

#fillthepipeline


Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
ok, AT&T towers by us suck.....
I am in y'alls area daily. Would be more than happy to come put a drone up, tell you what's available in your area, etc..
Doesn't cost anything.
I do contract work for multiple companies in the area, and there are a lot better options, than satellite.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #32
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point
 
CabezaBlanca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rock Island, TX
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

What routers are y'all using for multiple devices?
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #33
roughneck266
Eight Point
 
roughneck266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I'm looking to get away from satellite internet . . $80/mo for 25GB . . A friend suggested that I look into fixed wireless internet . . Anyone have this service?. .

#fillthepipeline
If you have cell signal, you can get OTR Mobile. We get unlimited for 60 bucks a month, and have been very happy with it. I had to use an external antenna for mine, because the cell service was pretty bad inside my house. Only real downside is you have to buy a modem. Good part of that is, my modem has an internal battery so we can take it with us on long trips and have good internet in the vehicle.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #34
MarkV
Pope & Young
 
MarkV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Franklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
MarkV

I switched to OTR and bought the OTR Netgear Nighthawk package with the SIM card already installed. You don't have to have a router if the Netgear device is close to your TV and or devices, but I mean real close. The Nighthawk has a network cable on the back and I connected with my Apple Airport which serves as a router and works great. 2400 sq ft house and 25-35 download speed 98% of the time. I have been looking at cell boosters and or antennas for the Nighthawk OTR device because it does have two T9 ports on the back for external antennas, etc... I get 2 to 3 bars at the house and it works great, but really wanting to see if I can get 4 or 5 just for kicks. I bet the speed would be 50-60 if I could.
That's the info I needed. Looks like I will need to add to it then. Was looking at the netgear mesh wifi extenders for the house. Think that would work or just get another router?
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #35
John Paul
Ten Point
 
John Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton
Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal
Default

Mark V, not sure about the Mesh wifi never have used that. Only router I have used with it is the Apple Airport so I know that works really good. lol. sorry can't be more help.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #36
Sharecropper
Ten Point
 
Sharecropper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wood County
Hunt In: Backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I am in y'alls area daily. Would be more than happy to come put a drone up, tell you what's available in your area, etc..

Doesn't cost anything.

I do contract work for multiple companies in the area, and there are a lot better options, than satellite.
PM sent . .

#fillthepipeline
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #37
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

We are on Olive IP which is cell based and uses an ATT unlimited card. It works great at home but has not worked anywhere else we have taken it, even when ATT cell phones worked great in the same area.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #38
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

I have the Netgear NightHawk running on AT&T data only plan at the new place. I've had it for a month and I consistently get >25Mbps down and >4 up, and has high as 45/10. I'm sure it's exactly the same as the OTR service (or several just like it.)

The Nighthawk has one ethernet port and allows up to 20 wireless connections. You can attach a separate switch or router if you need more.

I have zero AT&T signal inside our Barndominium without a booster. I mounted our WeBoost antenna about 35' on a pole and then connected it to the amplifier (single room) inside and we get 2-4 bars LTE, depending on which room we're in. Obviously the Nighthawk will ultimately reside at the source of greatest signal.

I have an outside office that I can get signal without the booster. I still need to see how I'll operate for work once we get fully moved in, but for now I can just grab the NightHawk and take it with me to the office during the day (when the girls are at school/work) and bring it back in during the evenings.

So far (one month) it has performed flawlessly.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #39
hpdrifter
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: kerens
Hunt In: anywhere I can
Default

I am lost.

Been researching some of this and I am lost.

Have a metal roof. Was looking for a antennae/booster.......saw from $29 to $500???

Wife has AT&T cell and it's touch and go. Mostly it works fine in house, sometimes not.

Someone said you need a modem?????

Seems to me if you can get it on internet, why would you need modem?

I take it a smart TV could be run/fed off of the Netgear nighthawk?????
hpdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #40
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point
 
CabezaBlanca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rock Island, TX
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

Ttt for more info. Thanks to those that have chimed in! This has been a huge learning experience for me.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #41
DWG
Eight Point
 
DWG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hallettsville,TX
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
MarkV

I switched to OTR and bought the OTR Netgear Nighthawk package with the SIM card already installed. You don't have to have a router if the Netgear device is close to your TV and or devices, but I mean real close. The Nighthawk has a network cable on the back and I connected with my Apple Airport which serves as a router and works great. 2400 sq ft house and 25-35 download speed 98% of the time. I have been looking at cell boosters and or antennas for the Nighthawk OTR device because it does have two T9 ports on the back for external antennas, etc... I get 2 to 3 bars at the house and it works great, but really wanting to see if I can get 4 or 5 just for kicks. I bet the speed would be 50-60 if I could.
Which apple airport are you using?
DWG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #42
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hunt County, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I am in y'alls area daily. Would be more than happy to come put a drone up, tell you what's available in your area, etc..

Doesn't cost anything.

I do contract work for multiple companies in the area, and there are a lot better options, than satellite.


I live in Hunt County, near Cash. You out this way?
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 AM   #43
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hunt County, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I have the Netgear NightHawk running on AT&T data only plan at the new place. I've had it for a month and I consistently get >25Mbps down and >4 up, and has high as 45/10. I'm sure it's exactly the same as the OTR service (or several just like it.)

The Nighthawk has one ethernet port and allows up to 20 wireless connections. You can attach a separate switch or router if you need more.

I have zero AT&T signal inside our Barndominium without a booster. I mounted our WeBoost antenna about 35' on a pole and then connected it to the amplifier (single room) inside and we get 2-4 bars LTE, depending on which room we're in. Obviously the Nighthawk will ultimately reside at the source of greatest signal.

I have an outside office that I can get signal without the booster. I still need to see how I'll operate for work once we get fully moved in, but for now I can just grab the NightHawk and take it with me to the office during the day (when the girls are at school/work) and bring it back in during the evenings.

So far (one month) it has performed flawlessly.


Which Weboost did you get Michael?
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #44
Sackett
Pope & Young
 
Sackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

I'm betting when 5g is completely in place, you guys running mobil network modems are going to be blown away how fast it is. Of course, you'll have to get new equipment to use it.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #45
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fruitvale, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

I use fixed wireless here in Fruitvale. I hit the tower in Edgewood. I work from home as a programmer but I also help the support department if they have some sort of major issue. That means I am normally hooked up to several linux servers around the county. The connection works great for me most of the time. I do have a 60 foot tower with a 20 foot mast to get over the trees. If I remember correctly I had to be within 7 or so miles of the tower. As the crow flies I think I was between 5 and 6. I use Texas Cellnet out of Van.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #46
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hunt County, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
I use fixed wireless here in Fruitvale. I hit the tower in Edgewood. I work from home as a programmer but I also help the support department if they have some sort of major issue. That means I am normally hooked up to several linux servers around the county. The connection works great for me most of the time. I do have a 60 foot tower with a 20 foot mast to get over the trees. If I remember correctly I had to be within 7 or so miles of the tower. As the crow flies I think I was between 5 and 6. I use Texas Cellnet out of Van.

-john


Community Internet Providers came out and did a site survey at my place for their internet. Of course I need a 40’ tower to get over the trees. Their closest tower is off 34 near Cash so plenty close. Just was trying to avoid the tower option.
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #47
medic151
Ten Point
 
medic151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Live in Sumner, work in Richardson.
Hunt In: Sumner and wherever I can
Default

I live north of Maxey in Lamar county and I put a cell booster on my temporary home. I get full 4g inside from verizon. I have been looking at this and there is a guy in Paris that has this wireless program. But he must not want to sell it very bad since he just did a drive by for signal and said maybe it would work. Hopefully I will be in the new place soon and I know I get good signal in the pasture.
medic151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #48
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Which Weboost did you get Michael?
Mine is the single room. This looks similar to what I have...
https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/...oster-kit.html
...although mine didn't come with the inside desktop antenna. I had this in the previous rent house (about 1700 sq ft) and moved it to the new place (2k sq ft) and it seems to have good coverage, even as a "single room."

The current NightHawk is 5G capable.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #49
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
I am lost.

Been researching some of this and I am lost.

Have a metal roof. Was looking for a antennae/booster.......saw from $29 to $500???

Wife has AT&T cell and it's touch and go. Mostly it works fine in house, sometimes not.

Someone said you need a modem?????

Seems to me if you can get it on internet, why would you need modem?

I take it a smart TV could be run/fed off of the Netgear nighthawk?????
I have/had decent signal (2-3 bars LTE) standing outside our house but absolutely zero signal inside the metal building. The goal is to capture the signal and route it inside the building, but you also need to "broadcast" the signal to the areas of the house you want/need that signal.

The previous owners had a simple Wilson booster (discontinued, but looks like you can buy on ebay for <$50) mounted to the porch that acquired the signal, ran via RG6 into the house (they ran it through the kitchen window) and then a desktop "booster" sitting in the kitchen window. I don't know how close they had to be to the kitchen for their phones to work, but when we were first looking at the house we got spotty signal, at best.

I mounted my antenna on a pole at about 30' (currently, although I could extend it higher) and ran the signal inside the metal building to the top of our decked roof of the living quarters. I plugged in the booster and ran the signal to the panel antenna, which sends the signal inside the living area. I'm getting good enough signal (so far) with the panel on the deck (just running through one layer of drywall, but I made accommodations to mount the panel inside near the ceiling if required.

My booster was around $300-350 several years ago, if I recall, but I HAD to have a good signal for work. So far it's working great in the new place and has been well worth the money (especially now considering the money I'm saving on internet.)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #50
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young
 
Dusty Britches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cameron & College Station
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
If you have Frontier available then that’s probably your best option.
...
Do NOT use Frontier. They are going to file Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in March. They also have the worst customer service in the tel-com industry.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com