X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Slap Dampening

Want/Need to dampen the string slap.

Here's how I do it:

(1)Place a fuzzy side of peel & stick velcro at the bottom of the string groove, or just below where the string leaves the limb at brace. This one is a one inch disc.

(2) Thread a foam ear plug onto the string, and align it to the center of the velcro.

Works great. Better than anything else I have ever tried.
    This one is kind of nasty, because they've been on my string a long time.

Rick
    Attached Files

Was wondering if the ear plug alone would work just as well?

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
      Was wondering if the ear plug alone would work just as well?
      They do work, but not quite as well without the velcro.

Rick

Comment

My Blueridge doesn’t seem to make much noise. Do you often have immediate follow up shots when out with your bow? I’ve rarely had deer hang around once the shot was made (with deer being hit).

Maybe high poundage bows make more sound?

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
          My Blueridge doesn’t seem to make much noise. Do you often have immediate follow up shots when out with your bow? I’ve rarely had deer hang around once the shot was made (with deer being hit).

Maybe high poundage bows make more sound?
          My bows are quiet without the slap dampeners, but the dampeners do make them quieter.

Yes, heavier draw weight bows have a tendency to be a little louder initially, but good tuning generally alleviates that.

To your point: I want my bow as quiet as possible, but I am much more concerned with my in flight "arrow noise", than I am with the bow noise.

I've not needed follow up shots on animals I've shot, but once I started paying more attention to the in flight arrow noise (doing what I could to reduce it), I have had several shot opportunities on other deer, and pigs after I shot the first one.

Rick

Comment

Daniel makes my strings with recurve wraps. Basically wool yarn twisted into the end of the string. Works great. At least as far as my deaf ears can tell.

Comment

Thanks Rick - I’m a dope with the technology of the bows but fortunately I’m a natural with my trad and wheel bows.

Comment

I just stick moleskin to my limb.

Comment

Got these two things, will give it a try, thanks Rick.

Comment

Working...
                  X