Scared of heights? Any cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared of heights? Any cure

My wife is scared of heights. Often when driving she puts a blanket on her head. She has gotten alot better. Getting her this close was tough today. The bad part is if I get close to edge if freaks her out. Anyone tried been hypothesized or anything else with success. She enjoys the mountains and hiking but some trails are a no-go.
    Attached Files

Is that Half Dome? If that was too sketchy do not try Angel's Landing. I have not found a good way to deal with it other than focus/

Comment

Do y’all have to drive everywhere? Some people just can’t get past it!

Comment

I think heights are a legitimate thing to fear. I'm afraid of heights, and I feel like this fear has kept me safe. My brother was just the opposite of me when we were kids, and he did some very risky things. The fact that he's still alive is just luck.

But if you're determined to get over a fear, especially if it's an irrational fear, there's this book that was recommended to me by a PhD student in psychology at UT Austin you might want to check out. It's called _Face Your Fears_, and it's by David Tolin. The techniques in this book really do work.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Anyone tried been hypothesized or anything else with success.
          This is awesome.

Comment

Thanks Sam. She doesnt want to walk on cliffs just be able to sit and enjoy ride when in mountains. That is El Captain behind us. She did make it up Sentinel Dome which is where picture was taken. We did continue around to Taft Point and she locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              This is awesome.
              Goodness, yes it is.

Comment

No Chew - its bad. I get 5 feet away from an edge and she starts threatening. She goes condition black. Getting tired of getting kicked. Will try anything once this trip is over.

Comment

I'm scared to death of heights. Used to roof houses and didn't like it one bit. Had to control the fear so I could get paid but I had nightmares about falling all the time. Some fears you just can't get over. I don't really think it's the fear of heights that gets me. It's the fear of falling. The steeper the roof I'd be moving around like a robot. I could get up there I just couldn't get close to the edge. Put me on a steep roof and take me to the edge and try and make me look at the ground. That could get a person hurt. I've been on the verge of tears and literally felt like I was going to have a panic attack while roofing a house. How I ever got through that is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    No Chew - its bad. I get 5 feet away from an edge and she starts threatening. She goes condition black. Getting tired of getting kicked. Will try anything once this trip is over.
                    I was talking about your autocorrect. I have several relatives that are afraid of heights. It appears very random with no root cause.

Comment

Not really afraid of heights. Well I do get peculiar feelings in certain places.
                      What I fear are the things that can happen in high places.
                      Standing on a rock formation a freak wind may blow you off.
                      May get a sudden vertigo.

On man made stuff....well, I was in Maintenance for ~30 years and I see how people "maintenance" things.

I used to work in the Mobil Building in Dallas. They had a wing that was added later. for AC.
                      You could see humongous bolts where it bolted to the original building.
                      At the top was a terrazzo landing, 29 floors up. I would go out and look around, but I always thought of that thing just "falling off".
                      We had a stack at my last employee, No way. I aint trusting no mechanical rig. Half the bolts were loose.

Comment

I just looked too and glad she doesnt come around. Ill take a picture of my passenger tomorrow and let yall get a laugh. Its looks like a little kid playing ghost

Comment

My wife is the same. It has only gotten worse as she has gotten older. She will literally move to the center of the vehicle if the "cliff side" of the mountain is on her side when Im driving. And no way is she walking anywhere near the edge of a cliff.

Comment

Thats a freakin awesome picture!

I don't have a clue on what could help her. I've missed a bunch of hunts from being skeered about some shaky stands!

Comment

Maybe emdr therapy?

Comment

Working...
                              X