Telescope Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telescope Advice

My 12yo is wanting a telescope. I have never messed with them and to be honest, I don't know how much he'll fool with it after the new wears off. Due to that, I am wanting a decent entry level scope. If he really gets into it, I can upgrade later. I know these things can get expensive quick. Any suggestions for less than $400? Aren't there some that will automatically locate constellations?

Lots of good options here - but most appear to be on back order. General rule of thumb is by largest you can afford. Larger lens = more light = more you can see. I have a celestron 8SE and have been pretty happy with it...

Shop for a computerized telescope online from High Point Scientific today! A goto telescope locates and tracks celestial objects for you! Great for all users! Order an electronic telescope now and start exploring the universe!

Comment

Good advice above ^^^^

I will second Celestron making a darn good telescope. We have the 6SE and it is a fun little device to play with along with the teenage kids.

Comment

I just purchased a Meade ETS 90 for $499 over the web. I'm very pleased with it. Yes, it automatically tracks and automatically locates. There are over 30,000 objects in the database. But understand, even the closest stars still look like stars. A dot of white light. I've successfully resolved the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter and of course the moon. But if you think you are going to see colorful Nebulae out of the box with a $400 scope, then don't get your hopes up. Not gonna happen.

Comment

Another option is Astrobinoculars. And get the tripod and parallelogram mount that allows height adjustment while staying on the object of interest. Very portable and can be setup quickly.

Comment

celestron and meade both make some very good astronomy scopes. Just bought me a celstron C-90 for a spotting scope and a T-adapter so I can mount it to my wife's dslr camera. I can see the rings on Saturn with that little thing. I think I paid like 200.oo then 75 on a good tri pod.

Comment

Any other thoughts on telescopes or spotting scopes?

I like the idea of getting a spotting scope that would double as a telescope when in the hill country?

This one looked like another option -

Comment

I've always wanted one, that you could hook to a computer.
                They are great. And several people can see, at the same time.
                Plus, there is a program you can tract and photo to your computer.
                But, I'm pretty sure, their costly.
                Good luck OP.. Let us know, what ya get..

Comment

I bought a couple from Orion in the 2000s. Another link on buying. https://skyandtelescope.org/astronom...es-not-to-buy/

Comment

C-90

This is the one I have for quick trips, good spotter and rings on saturn can be seen with it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Then I use this one when I have a little time to gaze for a while.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X