New to coyote trapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to coyote trapping

Guys with the experience- any tips will help- new to running foot traps. Have 8 total so far with dirt cable anchors.
    Got a starter kit on F&T website. Seems to be a pretty solid set.
    Coyote are thick in my area.
    I’ve got all 8 in vinegar to remove oils for next 24 hr. will dye them , them put wax on them.
    Planning on doing dirt hole sets, with bait deep and lure and urine in front of hole, near.

Anything I’m missing, let me know !
    I do plan on using 2 sets of gloves - one for setting traps and one for laying In Baits/lures.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Arturo V; 10-25-2020, 08:24 PM.

Pretty good start
    I don’t put wax on mine but I use different boils depending on where I’m at
    Pm me and I’ll send you my number and I’ll give you all I know which I’m always learning some thing new but I put up 21 bobcats, 55 fox and 30 coyotes last year from December to March

Comment

I use snares. Not much work to them and they are hard on the yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
        Pretty good start
        I don’t put wax on mine but I use different boils depending on where I’m at
        Pm me and I’ll send you my number and I’ll give you all I know which I’m always learning some thing new but I put up 21 bobcats, 55 fox and 30 coyotes last year from December to March
        Pm sent

Comment

Coyotes are big... be sure to position your trap a far enough distance from the dirt hole. Think tip of nose is at hole ... where would his front paws be. Many beginners crowd the dirt hole. Pack the trap in good.
          Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 10-25-2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

You're in for some fun! Bed your trap firm. Good luck!

Comment

There is usually a trapping thread in the Game Management sub forum

Best advice I have is to spend some time on trapperman forum reading about different techniques and how to's

Comment

Place your traps upwind from trails or road

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  Coyotes are big... be sure to position your trap a far enough distance from the dirt hole. Think tip of nose is at hole ... where would his front paws be. Many beginners crowd the dirt hole. Pack the trap in good.
                  Was think 10” or so from dirt hole to pan? yes I’ve noticed traps are packed in tight for no movement if they happen to step on it but not the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by RF76 View Post
                    Place your traps upwind from trails or road
                    Good tip- appreciate it

Comment

Last year I did the same thing you did now. Bought a beginners set with 6 - #2 Bridger dogless traps. I ended up catching 7 coyotes, 1 bobcat and 3 big coons just setting them out on weekends I hunted. Set out on Friday and pull Sunday morning. I noticed more success using small clumps of grass for backing. Also, I used a 1 3/4” auger to drill my dirt holes at a 45 degree angle. Smaller hole worked a lot better than the bigger holes. Offset the trap to one side of the hole just a little bit and put center pan about 9”s from the hole. It’s a big trial and error deal so just have fun with it. I would put bait on a big cotton ball down the hole then lure and bobcat urine on the backing. Most of my catches were usually on Saturday night. Not sure if it was because scent or just took longer to find my sets. Last year was really dry, so I would put double sets around water troughs.

Comment

I trapped a lot of them in the 80's.

Wear rubber boots and try not to brush against grass or bushes walking to the set.

I had great success with Hawbaker's coyote lures.

This is a great book with lots of good info....

Boda, Bud - Coyote Trapping East & West at Sterling Fur Co, has all the knowledge you need for coyote trapping

Comment

All good advice. Also, mix up your sets some and use different type of sets. If all sets are alike and you happen to miss a catch at one of those sets, then that yote is now educated to that type of set. Use different baits and lures, and perhaps a scent post set, and don’t forget to use some blind sets. A blind set in a known trail or fence crossing can be a good set for beginners. Again, be sure to bed trap firmly. A wobbly trap will catch few critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo V View Post
                            Was think 10” or so from dirt hole to pan? yes I’ve noticed traps are packed in tight for no movement if they happen to step on it but not the pan.
                            Yes, but there is no magic answer. Just don’t crowd the hole. I grew up trapping red fox back east.. so I had a tendency to put trap too close when I starting setting for texas coyotes. I have decent size hands... I used to use the tip of my pinky to tip of my thumb spread out ... this is not quite 10 inches. Others use some measuring “stick” as in tip of towel to certain spot on handle.

Comment

I sure appreciate all advice given, thank y’all!

Comment

Working...
                              X