Removing Brain Matter to Transport to Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Brain Matter to Transport to Texas

Headed to Colorado for mule deer and elk and I've read that I must remove brain matter to transport across state lines. I'm planning to remove the hides for mounting if I'm fortunate enough to harvest one or both. Aside from boiling, do I just get a coat hanger to get the big chunks then pressure wash at a car wash?

Regarding the quarters, Texas says you cannot process beyond quarters until my final destination but it's unclear if I can debone it. Can I debone the elk/mule deer then transport deboned quarters with the brains removed from the skulls? Me thinks yes.

You asked almost the very same question, and wording, that someone else asked in The Campfire forum last week!

I'd do a search in that forum to get your answer. Or call TP&W to find out. They have toll free numbers. And can answer your questions.

Comment

Yes you can debone everything there. Texas laws dont apply to animals harvested in Colorado. Car wash will get it out if your worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        You asked almost the very same question, and wording, that someone else asked in The Campfire forum last week!

I'd do a search in that forum to get your answer. Or call TP&W to find out. They have toll free numbers. And can answer your questions.
        Since I searched for previous posts and could not find anything, this post was not helpful. But thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
          Yes you can debone everything there. Texas laws dont apply to animals harvested in Colorado. Car wash will get it out if your worried about it.
          Helpful. That's what I thought. I'm sure my guide will have a plan.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, it was a little older than I thought. Guess that comes with be-n a GOF.

But if it were me, I'd get written word from TP&W so that I would not be in violation. That can be done with email after discussing it with them on the phone.

The best to you on your hunt.

Comment

Cape deer out completely …cut horns off
              Quarter deer up
              leave spine
              And skull in Colorado

Comment

I take a piece of coathanger and bend an oval in the end that will fit into the brain. If you chuck it up in a drill they will be scrambled and pour out like water, well mud

Comment

Originally posted by wheels View Post
                  Quarter deer up
                  leave spine
                  And skull in Colorado
                  Sounds good for shoulder mount but not euro

Comment

there are some really good taxidermists in the Denver area. I would just have it all done there so you don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                      I take a piece of coathanger and bend an oval in the end that will fit into the brain. If you chuck it up in a drill they will be scrambled and pour out like water, well mud
                      Am not sure about Texas, but this would not be sufficient for Louisiana. They require it to be free from all soft matter -- including the membrane inside the skull.

Comment

Leave skull there for a euro mount. For a shoulder mount cap the skull , use pocket knife to scrape all the brain and connective tissue out. Stuff paper towel with bleach where the brain used to be. No brain or spinal fluid across state lines.

Comment

Originally posted by wheels View Post
                          Quarter deer up
                          leave spine
                          And skull in Colorado
                          This, your not going to get all the brain out with a carwash without boiling it

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                          Unless its bone white inside the skull past the occipital bone they will still fine you for violation
                          Last edited by SC-001; 09-14-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

So, do these deer not cross state lines naturally?

Comment

Ask any politician how to do it, they have all had their brain matter removed.

Comment

Working...
                              X