Bug id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug id

I have these in my lawn. Anyone know what it is.

Looks like a blister bug to me. Not positive though

Comment

This look like it?
      Attached Files

Comment

Blister Beetle.
        I had to look it up on TAMU Entomology.
        Blister beetles are in the insect family Melòidae. They can be found in many different colors and several sizes and body shapes. Their most distinctive feature is the narrow thorax and wider head, a feature that separates them from the majority of other beetles. Most blister beetles have an elongate, cylindrical abdomen, but some look very different. A few species have rounded “ball-like” abdomen or short wings and a larva-form abdomen. All blister beetles, however, have the distinctive narrow “neck” which contrasts with the broader head and abdomen. The striped blister beetle, Epicauta vittata, has the typical cylindrical body shape. Beetles are from 1/3 to 2/3 inches long. Their bodies are tan to amber colored with three dark (black) stripes on each wing cover (elytron). The two stripes in the middle of the back continue onto the throrax and often onto the head. The eyes are black or dark grey. [gallery link="file" size="medium" ids="4118,4117,3486"] The hemolymph (blood) of blister beetles contains a blistering substance called cantharidin. When beetles are alarmed or disturbed, they secrete blood and cantharidin. Contact with cantharidin causes blistering and tissue damage.

Any damage to your yard?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Blister Beetle.
          I had to look it up on TAMU Entomology.
          Blister beetles are in the insect family Melòidae. They can be found in many different colors and several sizes and body shapes. Their most distinctive feature is the narrow thorax and wider head, a feature that separates them from the majority of other beetles. Most blister beetles have an elongate, cylindrical abdomen, but some look very different. A few species have rounded “ball-like” abdomen or short wings and a larva-form abdomen. All blister beetles, however, have the distinctive narrow “neck” which contrasts with the broader head and abdomen. The striped blister beetle, Epicauta vittata, has the typical cylindrical body shape. Beetles are from 1/3 to 2/3 inches long. Their bodies are tan to amber colored with three dark (black) stripes on each wing cover (elytron). The two stripes in the middle of the back continue onto the throrax and often onto the head. The eyes are black or dark grey. [gallery link="file" size="medium" ids="4118,4117,3486"] The hemolymph (blood) of blister beetles contains a blistering substance called cantharidin. When beetles are alarmed or disturbed, they secrete blood and cantharidin. Contact with cantharidin causes blistering and tissue damage.

Any damage to your yard?
          No damage. I just saw several today. Their larva feed on grasshopper eggs.... I have grasshoppers. Gonna spray for them

Comment

Don't walk around barefoot and step on one. Taint fun

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Don't walk around barefoot and step on one. Taint fun
              Or sit down on one wearing shorts, likely no “Taint fun” will result.

Comment

They will kill horses if consumed in their hay!

Comment

Working...
                X