Aoudad recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad recipes?

Any favorite recipes for aoudad that aren't fried or smoked?

Makes delicious steaks, honestly some of the best steaks in my opinion. Remember it is wild sheep, which are probably the finest game meat there is.

Just make sure you tenderize appropriately prior to cooking or marinating.

Comment

I made summer sausage with mine...

Comment

Waiting for the cedar board joke....

Comment

keep in mind that its mutton basically, so any of those recipes will work.

Comment

There isn't a strong flavor with Aoudad, it is just a tough meat. Steaks, burgers, crockpot, sausage, all is good. Process the animal properly post-kill and you're fine.

Comment

Good luck solving this riddle!

Comment

Marinate in a Hefty extra strong trash bag. Tie the bag tight and store in trashcan until the garbage man comes to pick it up.

Comment

The meat is great. I shot two years back at Devil's River, one of which was a 31" ram, and was told that the meat was no good. Had I known differently, the count would have been higher.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                    Waiting for the cedar board joke....
                    I was fixing to say, is this like the amberjack recipe?

Comment

It tastes nothing like wild sheep, as in bighorn. Bighorn is really good. Aoudad is bad AND tough. Some people claim to like it, and they say others just don't know how to care for and/or prepare wild game. But lots of people that do know how to care for and prepare wild game meat agree that aoudad is bad.

It's worth a try. Maybe you're one of the few that has weird taste buds and will actually like aoudad. Or maybe you'll think it's bad. Only one way to find out, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        It tastes nothing like wild sheep, as in bighorn. Bighorn is really good. Aoudad is bad AND tough. Some people claim to like it, and they say others just don't know how to care for and/or prepare wild game. But lots of people that do know how to care for and prepare wild game meat agree that aoudad is bad.

It's worth a try. Maybe you're one of the few that has weird taste buds and will actually like aoudad. Or maybe you'll think it's bad. Only one way to find out, I guess.
                        My daughter and I killed two mature ewes several years ago. I didnt know any better so I cleaned them. Fantastic is an understatement. A couple years later I got a big ram. Ge tasted like an old domestic boar hog rubbed down with skunk musk.

Comment

hahahaha

Comment

It's edible if you make it in a spicy curry. If you shoot a young one. Backstraps wrapped in bacon and jalapeno on grill, just like dove. More bacon, small bite pieces of Aoudad. Add cream cheese if you like.

Comment

I've eaten rams, ewes, and yearlings. Yearling is edible and not too tough, but I didn't want any seconds. Tastes like mutton, which I'm not a fan of. Ewes are a step down from yearling in flavor, and tougher. Rams are just nasty and tough as boot leather. I'd need to be hungry and out of other options for a while before I'd choose to eat that again.

Just me though. Some folks really do seem to like it. I can't figure out how, but I believe them.

Comment

Working...
                              X