No announcement yet.

Soft broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't seen that before. I have had the very tip curl on me once... but I flat out hit a rock dead on. I just filed it down to a point again.

What did you hit to cause that to curl like that?

Comment

I shoot Magnus Stingers as well and the tips curl just from hitting bone sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Haven't seen that before. I have had the very tip curl on me once... but I flat out hit a rock dead on. I just filed it down to a point again.

What did you hit to cause that to curl like that?
        I can't remember if this one hit dirt which I assume a rock was in or the target. It's def the worst one but heir just too soft. I'm playing with the heat treat some now and at 58ish it may chip slightly hitting a rock but won't bend. I'd rather have a small chip than a bent head especially going through bone. Curling going through bone will slow or stop it.

Comment

Interested to see the results after you heat treat them.

Comment

Looks like it hit something solid.

Comment

It's significantly harder than it was. May make a few. I read several have had issues with both heads curling when hitting bone. Like I said I'd rather it chip, but there should be a sweet spot. No chipping no bending.

Comment

And how do you find that sweet spot? Interested in your results

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                  And how do you find that sweet spot? Interested in your results

The sweet spot for every metal is different. MOST knife steels offer the best performance for edge holding, not chipping, and not rolling over/bending/curling in the 59-62 rhc range. If I used com-154 stainless I'd start with a 60-61 and do some test there. I'd do a brass rod test and then shoot it to see. If it was w2 I'd start at a 62 hardness and adjust from there. 61ish to 62 is for w2 is where I start testing w2 blades as chopping/Bowie blades. It would be just as or more abusive a test as a head hitting bone.

Comment

It's obvious you know you're stuff. Good luck on your testing. I'm sure many here will be interested in your results

Comment

On Magnus 11's and Zwickeys if you don't file the tip off they will curl almost every time. I take about 1/8" off the tip. I have hit a steel leg on a feeder one time - never bent actually cut a hole in it. Used Woodsman heads and I do the same thing and they work great.

Comment

Ol Man beat me to it. Since the 80's, I have always filed the sharp tip off of the Zwickeys and made a sharp rounded point. Still cut on impact and should prevent curling. I shot many into the dirt, trees, fences, and whatever and never had on curl.

You may have just got a bad batch. As mentioned before the best thing about Zwickeys is you can get them shaving-sharp out in the field in just a couple of minutes.

Comment

I think most heads / and blades are heat treated to the softer side to prevent shearing and failure upon hitting bone or other solid surfaces. They are intended to have some give in them to be able to slip into or around ribs and shoulder bones versus a super hardened head might just shear and splinter upon impact with a lager animal like an elk and get virtually no penetration. You have to remember that these heads are typically extremely thin material (as far as metal goes) and any material with the right tensile and yield properties that would not break at those high kinetic energy levels would fall under the Inconel/ nitronic type materials and would be close to $100 or more per head. THey use cheap stainless or alloy, along with aluminum but on the softer end of the spectrum so it will bend and still penetrate versus breaking and failing.

Comment

Working...
                          X