Bed of pickup truck tents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bed of pickup truck tents?

Thinking of doing some camping this year and was looking at the tents that set up in the bed of a pickup.

Anyone use one? Pros/cons? Preferences?

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    Thinking of doing some camping this year and was looking at the tents that set up in the bed of a pickup.

Anyone use one? Pros/cons? Preferences?

I know some that use roof top tents. I wanted one as well but they say if you move camping areas each day then they work great but if you plan to camp at same sight each day and use vehicle to go places then it’s a pain bc you have to take it down and set up. I can see that being a pain at times.
    I’m sticking with a ground tent till I build a trailer.

I can see a in bed tent having similar issues as the roof top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We used ours in a 18 chevy 6.6 bed and that was in ozona in early Dec it was great time the heater broke but was dry the whole time I just wish there was more room. To move around

Comment

Guessing you just prefer to be off the ground? I’d look at a Camprite tent cot. I have one and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburleigh View Post
          I know some that use roof top tents. I wanted one as well but they say if you move camping areas each day then they work great but if you plan to camp at same sight each day and use vehicle to go places then it’s a pain bc you have to take it down and set up. I can see that being a pain at times.
          I’m sticking with a ground tent till I build a trailer.

I can see a in bed tent having similar issues as the roof top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          This fat boy ain’t getting in one of those roof top tent

Comment

I’ve always camped in a traditional tent, and was just curious as to the difference.

I see where room could be an issue, but we plan on moving each day.

That being said, I would be hesitant leaving a tent up unattended being in heavy bear country.

Length of the bed could be an issue, as I have a F-150 with the standard 5.5’ bed. Didn’t think about that.

Comment

They're neat but I have a truck because I put a bunch of crap in the bed. I'd rather leave several coolers and fishing poles etc in the bed and pitch a tent.

Comment

TOPPERLIFT LETS YOU LIVE. WHERE THE ROAD TAKES YOU. Topperlift is a universal lifting kit that fits all full and mid-size pickup trucks, 5′-8′ Box. Add our universal Camper Package and transform your existing truck and topper into a cozy pop-up camper in seconds! Large zippered side windows allow for easy side load access, good […]

Comment

My brother had one, used it one time .

Comment

I know many people buy them too.
                    I just dont see it as a good way to go. Like stated above you always have other gear in the truck (big ice chest) that must be relocated somewhere and the issue that once you get to the destination and set up. If you decide to go for supplies or do some other chore, or try another fishing spot, you have to take it all down and repack to drive somewhere only to be back in an hour or so and to do it all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      Dude, I am ordering one. My biggest issue with my topper is putting it on and taking it off every hunting season. We hang it from the ceiling. Thanks for posting!

OP, I camp in my truck a lot. Once I park, I don't move the truck a lot, except for turkey hunting. Since it's just me, my topper is plenty of room. However, if I did it again, I would get one of those toppers tall enough to sit upright in a chair in. As far as tents go, I guess I'd rather have a topper than a tent for the bed of the truck since it adds so much more usability. I have a 6.75' box too, you are probably going to struggle to be comfortable to a 5.5' bed, even if the tent covers the tailgate.
                      Last edited by WItoTX; 04-07-2021, 07:13 AM. Reason: .

Comment

A bed tent seems like a major PITA. In order to use it you have to unload the entire bed of the truck. We car camp quite a bit, and the bed always has something we’re not currently using in it. The bed is gear storage. If you’re out your tent in it, that’s just more work of packing and unpacking and repacking your gear. They make for a great photo, but I don’t think they are practical at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X