Hunting Next to a Rock Mine/Quarry??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Next to a Rock Mine/Quarry??

So we just found out our neighbors sold the 1800 acres next to us and there will be a an active rock mine and excavation on the other side of the fence from us. For those familiar with the Uvalde area it is the same people and will be a similar operation to the one in the NW quadrant of 90 and the Nueces. The "miners" have called and want to buy our land also as a buffer for their operation. Haven't really had a chance to think about it or digest but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it. Our land is all recreation and hunting. There is no historical significance (family land, etc.) but we did buy it over 20 years ago so there is still a lot of blood, sweat, tears and sentimental value to on that chunk of rock & dirt.

I would think it would either not affect our hunting or push more deer to us with loss of habitat so that would be a plus if I'm correct. But, I also think it will be dusty all the time and loud. Another negative is this was by far our biggest neighbor as 2 of our other sides are bordered my smaller ~125 ac tracts. What are your thoughts?

And while I'm at it I think our 2 options would be to keep our place and deal with anything that comes up as a result, including potential of land losing value next to something like that. OR, sell and try to get a couple hundred more acres a little closer to home.

So what are your thoughts??

Dust and noise. Will hear beepers on trucks all day as well. Had 30 acres in Jarrell next to quarry. Sold it instead of building. Deer, turkey, hogs didnt care

Comment

I'd sell and move if the money was right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Your property value will drop I’d think. If they’ll pay top dollar just sell it and buy a nicer place. Surely you’ll make a killing after having it for 20 years

Comment

If they start mining on your fence it will suck for sure, but on 1800 acres, it is certainly possible that they start at the other end/side and not as much direct affect on you. I know we have looked at land before and passed because it was adjacent to a quarry and the road in was on that fenceline, so the nonstop traffic and dust made it a deal breaker.... you don't say how many acres you have, but you will just have to weigh the price they are looking to spend and the value of land in the area and what you might be able to find elsewhere.

Good luck!

Comment

I would bet they think there is salable rock on your place as well. You might get far more than market land value for it. Might also be able to sell rock for a percentage.

If they are really wanting it as a buffer...sell it but keep the hunting rights.

Comment

The quarry next to my house allows the employees to hunt on their property and they do quite well with deer pigs and turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We have one next to us but it's behind a HF. It's been shut down since covid, but they can get a little noisy. The deer pay them zero interest.

Comment

If you want to get closer to home tell them to buy you another place, bigger and closer. Worth a shot if they want your rock badly enough.

Comment

Myself ,if money was right I would sell .I wouldn't want to hear the noise etc. I bought my place in the country to get away from that.

Comment

Get someone to come out and take a look at the rock on your place.
                      You might be sitting on a gold mine.

Comment

See if they will lease it. Standard quarry agreements are similar to O&G agreements. They might lease it from you plus a royalty or fee per ton of material removed. Those agreements typically include some sort of remediation like filling it in with haul back or building you a lake, that kind of thing.

It will probably cost you $1500 to get someone out there to take borings to evaluate the material.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, keep them coming. As an FYI, we have 485 acres and when I say we I really mean my dad owns it so he will be making the decision. But I will have input.

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          Dust and noise. Will hear beepers on trucks all day as well. Had 30 acres in Jarrell next to quarry. Sold it instead of building. Deer, turkey, hogs didnt care
                          This is what I'm thinking. It will bother us A LOT more than the animals.

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Your property value will drop I’d think. If they’ll pay top dollar just sell it and buy a nicer place. Surely you’ll make a killing after having it for 20 years
                          Yeah, we bought the land cheap. Should be able to make a killing but as with all real estate I'm there isn't much cheap out there.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          I would bet they think there is salable rock on your place as well. You might get far more than market land value for it. Might also be able to sell rock for a percentage.

If they are really wanting it as a buffer...sell it but keep the hunting rights.
                          I was thinking that as well but don't know too much about how it works. Either keep hunting rights and/or at least rock rights so there is future income.

Comment

Make sure your dad talks to his accountant now, before the discussions go any further. The accountant may recommend a section 1031 exchange so that he doesn't get whacked with capital gains tax on the sale of this ranch and then have less money to spend on the new ranch. The idea of a 1031 exchange is to take your equity from one property and put it into another property or properties without having to pay tax on it. I don't know enough to know if this transaction is eligible or not, but he should definitely seek tax advice early in the deal to potentially save a lot of $.

Comment

1031 exchange. You only have so many days for the transaction to take place

Comment

Working...
                              X