HR 8 - What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HR 8 - What do you think?

It passed in the HR last week and if passed in the Senate, H.R. 8 would expand background checks and tighten gun-sale regulations. This bill establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties (i.e., unlicensed individuals).

Specifically, it prohibits a firearm transfer between private parties unless a licensed gun dealer, manufacturer, or importer first takes possession of the firearm to conduct a background check.

The prohibition does not apply to certain firearm transfers, such as a gift between spouses in good faith.

What do you think?

I will not comply. Also, good luck enforcing it.

Comment

Of course, I hate it. How does it help me as a Texan, American or gun owner? Right now, I enjoy my liberty and love that I live in Texas, where those values are still honored.

It's already illegal for a felon or unauthorized person to possess a firearm. I'm not even sure what problem the federal government is trying to solve.

This will test the idea of "gun sanctuary states" if it becomes federal law.

Comment

I think it’s a power grab to initiate a register. It won’t stop a criminal from acquiring anything but will add you and I to a list of who has what and where. It’s unconstitutional and a dang shame we are even looking at this as a possibility.

Comment

When the criminals agree to find an FFL and submit to a background check before transferring a weapon, I’ll consider it a good proposal.

Still waiting.

Comment

I think this adds an extra burden to gun owners. We dont require background checks before buying a car, and far more people are killed in automobile accidents than with firearms.

How many shooting deaths would have been prevented if only the perpetrator had a background check run? It seems the majority of them are with stolen weapons or purchased a a time in their life when they would have passed a background check.

Criminals by definition dont follow the law.

Comment

This is what is implemented in California. They are following the play book word for word. It really removed guns from many households and made ownership of guns a pain in the a**. It creates criminals out of law abiding Americans and it must be stopped at all costs!

Comment

My wife had a great point- why don't the beltway politicians create a registry at every alcohol retailer in all 50 states?

Let's say someone kills another person in a DUI. He might do ten years or so and then after that, we have NOTHING in place to keep him from buying another bottle of liquor and killing another person. I'd guess there are far more deaths from intoxicated driving than homicides by firearm, but I could be wrong.

If the idea underneath this bill is to end access to a dangerous product by the wrong individuals, shouldn't they do a background check before selling liquor to convicted drunk drivers and abusive parents?!?

It won't happen b/c gun control has never been about keeping people safe.

Comment

Originally posted by McPatrickClan View Post
                  My wife had a great point- why don't the beltway politicians create a registry at every alcohol retailer in all 50 states?

Let's say someone kills another person in a DUI. He might do ten years or so and then after that, we have NOTHING in place to keep him from buying another bottle of liquor and killing another person. I'd guess there are far more deaths from intoxicated driving than homicides by firearm, but I could be wrong.

If the idea underneath this bill is to end access to a dangerous product by the wrong individuals, shouldn't they do a background check before selling liquor to convicted drunk drivers and abusive parents?!?

Great analogy and spot on McPC

Comment

I self identify my firearms as freedom seed spreaders. I’m just selling farm equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Christ View Post
                      I will not comply. Also, good luck enforcing it.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i dont think its about the wrong people getting guns , in order for it to work they will have to create a gun registration so they can track them ,,,, then they know where and what you have then it makes it easy to come and get them . just my thoughts

Comment

A far better law would be to run a background check on all voters, you know, to see if they are citizens, or even alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            A far better law would be to run a background check on all voters, you know, to see if they are citizens, or even alive.
                            This X 100

Comment

Originally posted by McPatrickClan View Post

according to the Washington Post, in a 2016 study of statistics, alcohol related deaths were 650% higher than gun violence deaths. There were 33,000 deaths by "gun violence" but 20,000 of those were suicides. Not sure why a self inflicted GSW would be consider gun violence. But your wife is right on her logic, alcohol is much more "violent" than guns are...

Comment

Working...
                              X