Drop Dead Fred 2020 season wrap up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop Dead Fred 2020 season wrap up

Well figured I’d show the totality of a personal best season for our house in a single thread. I’ll try an keep it less wordy and more pictures. Season started back home with several good deer on the list, i decided early which everyone presented themselves to me first would get their ticket punched. Hunted all bow season only to take it to the wire, and harvest a great buck we call “rocker” a day before rifle opener.

After tagging out, i transitioned my focus back to Mexico some are familiar on here, but most wont know our Mexico ranch was completely ambushed by bears. We had at one point any where between 8-10 bears on our ranch. They caused so much destruction across every inch of the ranch it took the wind out of my sails. Feeders never worked for more than a week or two at a time which meant game cameras ( that didnt get mauled by bears) had little to no intel on herd and what deer did and didn’t make it. Also another wrinkle was our ranch got less than 8” of rain on the year, so with everything given i was going in blind for the first time in a long time. Opener comes and we make a trip down I pull my card, and a buck i passed called slugger had showed back up and in a BIG way! He went from a main frame 8 with two split 2s to a main frame 10 with double drops!! So i just start putting in time sitting hoping to cross paths with him, couple days pass and hunting is slow deer aren’t coming to the feeders (probably because the mass amount of bear activity around them). So day before we leave crawl back in for an evening sit slow again I’m enjoying the beautiful sunset from my 13’ tripod when for some unknown reason i turn to look off to my right, where deer pretty much never come from, and he’s standing there about 85 yards in the brush. He slipping through the brush headed west into the setting sun when i finally find him in my scope no time to wait i shoot through the small opening in the brush and watch him fold. He was perfect in every way to me!

Now back home to try and get my wife a buck she was aiming to tag. We had some many encounters it hurt my brain how someone could have so many close calls with a deer of the magnitude we were after, as fate would have it i would have to be gone the last few days of season so she would be on her own! Another close encounter but still no shot, then out of nowhere i just shot a big buck!!! I thought it was the buck she had been chasing, but to my surprise it was another deer we called B8 that was in no way shape or form a deer with any pattern be gone weeks at a time then show up for 5 minutes and gone again! He was a true giant of an 8 i was so proud of her for doing it all on her own! Huge shout to my buddy Tshelly for loading him up and getting him on ice and some great pictures for me!

Now back to Mexico for a few days of getting some great Tbhrs wingnut (Bryan) and TheGasMan (shane) on some management deer! Had an absolute great trip and couldn’t have picked a better crew to share the brush with! We piled the deer
    Up had some great laughs and told countless stories! I’m sad it’s all over but at the same time ready to recharge the batteries! It was a great season in a dark year and for that I’m grateful may god bless you all in 2021

Here’s a few more pics of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drop dead fred; 01-16-2021, 03:58 PM.

What a fantastic season! Congrats to al involved

Comment

dang you got some nice deer in both places. Congrats and great writeup.

Comment

Heck of a season, congrats all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for sharing, great year for sure!

Comment

Awesome Season Bud. Congrats to all the lucky hunters and thanks for sharing

Comment

Awesome season amigo!

Comment

Are bears legal to take down there?

Comment

Wow nice animals.

Comment

I’d say it was a pretty good year

Comment

Good stuff!

Congrats on a great year

Comment

Great read and great pics. Congrats on a great season. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a very successful season. That old Mexico is something to behold. Its a truly wild and beautiful place. And congrats to your wife on getting it done by herself. Thats awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great deer. Congrats.

Comment

Awesome write up and pics. Congrats to all

Comment

Working...
                              X