870 vs Nova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

870 vs Nova

I'm looking for a durable 12g pump that I can take down to the coast for duck hunting. I've got an SBEII but prefer not to use it around saltwater.

I had an 870 for 10+ years and put it through just about everything with zero issues. That said, I hear great things about the Benelli Nova.

Opinions on the 870 vs the Nova?

I have both and really like both. I use the Nova more than anything else I have probably. For sure I do bird huntin.

Comment

I've duck hunted in the salt for 15 years with the same 870 and I can't kill that gun and it has never failed me.

Comment

If you can find an 870 built before about 1985 or 87 do that.
        If not Nova.

I just took a 2 day combat shotgun class with my supernova. The other 4 attendees had 870s. 3 had issues. Im in no way a benelli fan the nova is the only benelli I own. My bird guns are all berettas or O/U

Comment

Shot a Nova for 3Gun comp's for about 8 years. Never had an issue.

Comment

Is the Nova as easy to break down as the 870? I loved the security of being able to break the 870 down in the field if I had to. Only had to do it twice in 10+ years but we were covered up in birds both times and I was thankful I didn't have to sit out and watch my buddies tear it up without me.

Comment

Nova! ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! Mine has been a beast for 12 years and I've abused it! Easy to break down and clean, will handle any and all loads, (I've shot them all) and just flat out reliable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

870 is the strongest shotgun ever made..........

Comment

Nova

Comment

Originally posted by teamtejas View Post
                    870 is the strongest shotgun ever made..........

Must not have ever owned a nova.... I've beat down brush with it, used it for a paddle, dropped it, kicked it, purposely thrown it in the mud and water when it wouldn't shoot where I was aiming (bc we both know it wasn't my fault [emoji23] ) picked it up and kept cycling shells. It a beast! Just get the camo dipped one and roll on!

Oh, hunted in dry dusty peanut fields and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've shot 870's since I was big enough to heft a shotgun.

I have 2 of them. The old Wingmaster is perfect. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

My super mag, I had to tear down and polish and deburr almost every part in it. It went from being sketchy, to super reliable and smooth as silk.

My buddy has a Nova, I don't like it. It feels cheap, and flimsy. That is just my opinion. Not sure if it was a bad year for them, or maybe he didn't take really good care of it.

I am not sure what I would buy new today. I'd look at a new Nova, a Winchester, and old 870's. I think someone is making the old Ithaca again. They are a tried and true design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Both are reliable pumps. I'd go with whichever feels/looks better when you shoulder it.

Comment

Love my two 870's. No experience with the Nova.

Comment

Comment

I have both and love them both. But i shoot the Nova a lot better and it is my go to bird gun. Id say shoot both and pick the one that fits you best.

Comment

Working...
                              X