Remington 700 Long Range Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 700 Long Range Problem

A couple of months ago I bought a 700 Long Range in 7 Rem Mag from Cabelas.

Today was my first time to shoot the rifle. I started out with a box of Federal Premium to get the rifle dialed in. Starting with the very first round, every round was sticking in the chamber and would not eject. It got harder and hard to cycle the bolt and remove the brass. After 12 rounds I switched to my reloads to see if maybe it was the Federal ammo. I was loading 168 gr Bergers with Norma Brass. the very first round stuck and I was not able to get the bolt to open.

I came home and tapped the bolt handle with a mallet and it opened up. I used my caliper to check the brass and it is within the spec.

So, I'm assuming the chamber is not to the correct spec?

Anyone having this problem or have any suggestions? I'll be calling Remington tomorrow morning.

Sorry to hear amigo....
    Good luck dealing with Remington... not the best customer service unfortunately

Comment

Remington has great customer service. Called the on new rifle problem. RA and brown truck to factory smith, back to me I me week later. Functions great now.

Comment

This happened to a freinds sendero. They will send to a shipping label.
        Take it to the brown truck, a week later you will either have a brand new rifle, or a new bolt and new barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by kornsqueezer View Post
          Remington has great customer service. Called the on new rifle problem. RA and brown truck to factory smith, back to me I me week later. Functions great now.
          Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
          Take it to the brown truck, a week later you will either have a brand new rifle, or a new bolt and new barrel.
          Guess I based too much of my opinion on all the 700 remmy recall stories and the service during that time period...

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Guess I based too much of my opinion on all the 700 remmy recall stories and the service during that time period...
            I think they take better care of the people that have purchased a $1400 rifle.

Comment

I seriously doubt a new rifle

If chamber is not to SAAMI spec, they will rechamber it generously to make sure rds cycle

The problem is not the action , possibly short chamber

OP - do you have virgin or fired brass ? See if it cycles and any problems closing bolt

Comment

I have a friend that recemtly bought a 700 5R in 300 win brand new in the box. Once he got it home he found it was actually chambered for 300 ultra mag, but 300 win was stampes on the barrel. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post
                  I have a friend that recemtly bought a 700 5R in 300 win brand new in the box. Once he got it home he found it was actually chambered for 300 ultra mag, but 300 win was stampes on the barrel. Crazy!
                  If so, that rifle should be worth a STUPID amount of money. I sure hope he didn't send it back to the big R.

Comment

Cajun,

It is virgin Norma brass and has no problem cycling. The problem only exists once I have fired a round. I measured fired brass and it is still within in spec.

the neck of my unfired Norma brass is measuring .309-.310" and fired brass is measuring .315-.315.5". Which according to the Sierra manual is SAAMI spec

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      I seriously doubt a new rifle

If chamber is not to SAAMI spec, they will rechamber it generously to make sure rds cycle

The problem is not the action , possibly short chamber

OP - do you have virgin or fired brass ? See if it cycles and any problems closing bolt
                      Not trying to start an argument. But I was in on the whole process. I know exactly what was done to the rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Frame View Post
                        Cajun,

It is virgin Norma brass and has no problem cycling. The problem only exists once I have fired a round. I measured fired brass and it is still within in spec.

the neck of my unfired Norma brass is measuring .309-.310" and fired brass is measuring .315-.315.5". Which according to the Sierra manual is SAAMI spec
                        just thinking out loud here:

- do the fired primers show signs of pressure ?

- is there carbon fouling on the necks of fired brass ?

- do the factory loaded rounds , bullets engage the rifling ? if so, this would possibly cause pressure . Use a black marksalot and color bullet, then insert in chamber and CAREFULLY close . Uplift bolt and remove round inspecting the bullet for rifling marks.

- if its a brand new gun never fired, possibly the chamber could be dirty, or sticky from oil residue

- I would polish the chamber (brass cleaning brush wrapped in steel wool and use an electric drill) to make sure it is mirror fine/clean

I'll keep thinking about possible problems & solutions

Comment

Not trying to start an argument. But I was in on the whole process. I know exactly what was done to the rifle.

no offense taken brother

I've worked in gunshops and sent dozens of rifles back to Remington . Never seen them replace with a brand new gun just because of sticky bolt issues. Usually fresh chamber cut on same barrel , test fired , and sent back to customer .

Rem CS will trouble shoot and fix the existing problem before giving customer a new rifle. If problem unsolvable, then new barrel will be threaded onto customers action and mailed back.

Rem is owned by bean counters who are all about making money , and frown upon losing money

Comment

Do the cases have scratches or marking after firing?? I've seen rough chambers cause the problems you are describing.

I agree with Blake about the polishing, but you really don't want a super slick chamber with the 7mag as excessive case stretch can be a problem with overly slick chambers.

Comment

Cajun,

No signs of pressure on the primers.

The necks of the brass do show carbon residue.

Colored a factory federal bullet and do not see any marks where the bullet is engaging the rifling.

I will try polishing the chamber.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X