Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
rar15usa1
Six Point

Hunt In: All over central Texas
Default Bow Sights

I am looking for a new 5 pin bow sight. I am useing a Tru Glow. It works good, but I am looking for something better. What are you useing? What do you like and dislike about it? Thanks for the input.
rar15usa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
BUbowhntr
Six Point

Hunt In: Childress Co./Cass Co.

Team Extreme. Holds it's pins well and durable. I really enjoy it over my old tru glow. I do however want the new smart pin technology by Trophy. It's a single pin sight, but once you set your 20 and 30 ever subsequent yardage is mathematical calculated and spot on.
BUbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Neohighlander
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Trophy Ridge React! Best money I ever spent. You won't be disappointed!
Neohighlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
docmay
Pope & Young

I love my axcel armortechs with the dovetail mount. Easy to adjust and durable. You can order custom pins configuration. Plenty bright. I also like sliding my sight off for travel. I have never have a sight be "off" when I out it back on. They aren't cheap but they are real nice!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Axcel Armortech Vision
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
rar15usa1
Six Point

Thank you for the info. I will check these out.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

You'll be hard pressed to find a more solidly built sight than a Spot Hogg.

I have a Hogg-It, so does my daughter. Mrs has a Hunter. All are 5 pin with wrap.

Setup does take some doing, but it is worth the effort in the end.

3rd axis adjustment is far too often overlooked in a sight, both of these have it.

Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are heavy. Yes, they are made in USA. Knowing that my sight is going to be as failproof a piece of equipment as exists is priceless.

I have dragged my bow all over; it gets rained on, bonked into things, and bounced around on the quad or UTV. The sight is never off, never has been. I wouldn't hesitate to lift or handle my bow by the sight, it is that solid.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Hard to go wrong with Spot Hogg or Trophy Ridge. I think it comes down to features more than brand. Do you want vertical pins? Do you want 2nd or 3rd axis adjustments? Do you want micro adjust?
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
rar15usa1
Six Point

Good info. I didnt even know what 3rd axis is unitl I looked it up. I learned something new.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
teamtejas
Eight Point

I sold all my spot hogs and got trophy ridge react 5 pin and 1 pin .
teamtejas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rar15usa1 View Post
Good info. I didnt even know what 3rd axis is unitl I looked it up. I learned something new.

Informed Decision > Opinions YMMV
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Pistol
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Outside

Axcel ArmorTech Pro.
Love everything about it and there's nothing I don't like. I use a 4 pin. Toolless adjustments are cool too
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Txjourneyman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardeman, and Henderson Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummi Bear View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find a more solidly built sight than a Spot Hogg.

I have a Hogg-It, so does my daughter. Mrs has a Hunter. All are 5 pin with wrap.

Setup does take some doing, but it is worth the effort in the end.

3rd axis adjustment is far too often overlooked in a sight, both of these have it.

Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are heavy. Yes, they are made in USA. Knowing that my sight is going to be as failproof a piece of equipment as exists is priceless.

I have dragged my bow all over; it gets rained on, bonked into things, and bounced around on the quad or UTV. The sight is never off, never has been. I wouldn't hesitate to lift or handle my bow by the sight, it is that solid.
What he said!
Txjourneyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
GregO
Eight Point

Sword Twilight Hunter with the 2" housing.
Built solid, 3rd axis, Comes with the rheostat light, very affordable.
Lots of camo options.
I get mine custom with 6 pins, top 3 are .019, bottom 3 are .010, and colors of my choosing.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
rar15usa1
Six Point

Once again. Thank you for your thoughts. I will be looking at them all.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
duckmanep
Pope & Young

What do you dislike, or want different than your Truglo has?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
sooner6969
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County

Just changed from Copper John single pin to the IQ retina lock 5 pin. Don't know why I like it better, just do and my groups are much tighter. Thought about a Sure Loc Lethal Weapon with retina lock, but couldn't part with 4 bills.
sooner6969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
Csmith52779
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon Co and Madison Co

I like my React 5 pin. I am really thinking about the IQ bow sight with retina lock.
Csmith52779 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
jkelbe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neohighlander View Post
Trophy Ridge React! Best money I ever spent. You won't be disappointed!
I like the TR React too, but it the housing is super large, it's a large and in charge. But dang, it gets you dialed in and it is super easy to adjust.
jkelbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Tarleton Jake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, and Comfort TEXAS

Couldn't be happier with my TR React 5 pin.
Tarleton Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

CBE Tek hybrid
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #22
Aggie_bowtech
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera, Rocksprings, and King Ranch

I have spot hogg hunter with 5 pig wrap it. Love it!
Aggie_bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Fla Hunter
Ten Point

I shoot a single pin Sightmaster elite sight.
http://www.sight-master.com/
Fla Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
GWHunter
Ten Point

Anything from Spot Hogg!
GWHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #25
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
I am looking for a new 5 pin bow sight. I am useing a Tru Glow. It works good, but I am looking for something better. What are you useing? What do you like and dislike about it? Thanks for the input.
ill use just about any bow site as long as it says spot hogg on it!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #26
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

What do you mean by "better," exactly? I can definitely understand the urge for something 'new' from time to time but with bow sights there's not really a lot of "better" to be had - there's different styles that allow you to do different things more easily, like a single pin sight that allows you to dial up a specific distance in 1yd increments, but it's not "better" as far as making you more accurate, per se. Accuracy is about form, repeatability, accurate distance judgement, proper tuning, etc. Aside from, possibly, reducing your pin size no sight change is going to, in and of itself, make you a "better" shot.

TruGlo sights are as good as anything you'll NEED for hunting. You can down-size your pins without buying a new sight.

All that said, if you actually feel/want you need a new sight, I highly recommend a Custom Bow Equipment (CBE) sight. NOT because they're necessarily "better" than other sights but because you can have them custom configured to suit YOUR personal needs and preferences. For the money, I think they're the best buy out there in the high-end market. I have variations of the Hybrid Tek on a couple bows that are set up for longer range hunting where I will have the luxury of being able to range my target and really utilize the dial a range capability. My other bows, for regular hog, whitetail, turkey, etc. hunting have Truglo sights. Inside 35yds, I shoot the same size groups with all of them. At 60-85yds, the CBE sights are WAY better because they have very small pins for shots past 50yds and I can dial a range to the exact distance my rangefinder determines

JMO but I hope it helps. Good luck with whatever you decide! Confidence is everything!
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
lbbf
Ten Point

Love my Sword Apex 3rd Plane. If I didn't get a Sword I would have gone with Spott Hogg. Both sights are built tough. I love my 0.01 pins.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
Kokanee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Washington, Alberta, South Carolina

I think I own stock in Spot Hogg I have so many of them. Won't buy anything else except my CBE for 3D.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
Coach W
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Dickens, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
TruGlo sights are as good as anything you'll NEED for hunting. You can down-size your pins without buying a new sight.
X2. Im using the same tru glow sights for 2 bows and about 10 years now. These javellinas never knew how old the sight was.
Attached Images

Coach W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #30
Okiehunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push county OK

There is a difference in a good sight and a great sight. Lots of good sights on the market and a few great sights. A customer recently sent me an email and asked if spending $200 for a bow sight was necessary to get a sight “good enough” to kill a deer. Here is my reply, I thought you might find value in my opinion.

No you do not have to spend $200 to get a good sight to be an effective bow hunter.

But, I think it depends on what your expectations are from a sight, or hunting item for that matter. The higher end sights are generally made with lighter, stronger material and are cut to closer tolerances. What that gives you is repeatability, easy of adjustment, durability and a peace of mind that your sight is less likely to fail due to unexpected events (dropping, hitting something, etc.)

Cheaply made equipment will work fine - as will a high price sight under ideal conditions? It is when things are not idea that I believe the value of “over engineered” equipment becomes worth the price within reason.

For over twenty years, I fished tournaments and I always insisted on the best “stuff” I could afford. I could not afford to have an equipment failure so; I controlled that as best I could by buying the best, not necessarily the most expensive.

Hunting is no different. My time in the field is limited. Equipment failure is not an option. Spending another $100 on a great sight vs. a “get by” sight is worth it to me. If you can “afford” to lose a weekend hunt because you dropped you bow and screwed up your whatever, then buy the lesser-made stuff. If you cannot afford to loose a weekend hunt, then buy the well-made stuff and you improve your odds.

Since I have been selling Spot Hogg and Black Gold sights, I have grown to appreciate finely made archery sights. There are some junk sold, some good stuff sold and some really good sights that are affordable on the market. Pick one that you have confidence in; confidence will carry you a long way.

Half the fun is picking one out.

Rick
Okiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #31
duck'n
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco and Hidalgo Counties

I have a Sword Twilight Hunter for sale in the classifieds. Like new and a well built, rugged sight...just an option
duck'n is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #32
rar15usa1
Six Point

I have been using the same Truglow sight for 5 years now, and it was the best that I could afford at the time. It's a real cheap one. I know that technology changes frequently, and there is alot better equipment available. I can afford to put a $400.00 sight on a new bow, but I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am also shopping for a new bow. I know what bow I want I just havent pulled the trigger. I dont want another $60.00 sight. I want a good quality and reliable sight that will last me along time and be a nice and noticeable improvement over my old one. TBH is the best place that I know of foe good honest opinions and other information yall are the best. Thank you all for the great info. The new bow will be the Bowtech Carbon Knight.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #33
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

The custom option mentioned above is a service that a few of the top end manufacturers offer.

Choose your pin configuration, fiber color and size for each. Some even offer different sized housings.

Buying a sight made in USA is worth it to me. Spot Hogg, Black Gold, CBE, Sword, Sure Loc are all made here.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #34
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

Quote:
I have been using the same Truglow sight for 5 years now, and it was the best that I could afford at the time. It's a real cheap one. I know that technology changes frequently, and there is alot better equipment available. I can afford to put a $400.00 sight on a new bow, but I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am also shopping for a new bow. I know what bow I want I just havent pulled the trigger. I dont want another $60.00 sight. I want a good quality and reliable sight that will last me along time and be a nice and noticeable improvement over my old one. TBH is the best place that I know of foe good honest opinions and other information yall are the best. Thank you all for the great info. The new bow will be the Bowtech Carbon Knight.
Go with CBE, then.

Just a question for you to consider - has your TruGlo ever failed you? I think that you may find, once you buy a high dollar sight, that your shooting is still the same. OF course you'll love it - you BETTER for all the money you spent - but a year or two down the road you will wake up one morning and say to yourself, "ya know, actually, I shot just about the same with my truglo that was a lot less expensive." Once a pin is locked in the proper position for a given yardage, that's it - doesn't matter if it's a $25 sight or a $600 sight. "Repeatability" is about your form, not your sight; assuming you don't move the pin. Unless you need a sight with more capability you will not benefit from a more expensive sight.

Sure, the expensive ones are built from space age materials at higher tolerances. SO? A bow sight is not the same as a rifle scope.

Just wanted to caution you again before you spend the money. I use both brands and these have been my experiences. I love my CBE's that give me capabilities that my TruGlo's don't; but they're unnecessary for most of my hunting and my Truglos actually have capabilities that the CBE's don't have. I'm fortunate that I can afford whatever sight I want, and I've tried/played with almost every brand mentioned, at one time or another; AND I STILL use TruGlo on some of my bows. I select my sight based on the type of hunting/shooting I'm going to do - There isn't really a "one size, fit's all" sight out there.

If you can afford it, go for it and I strongly suggest CBE. They're not any "better" (or worse) than other high-end brands except for the custom setup; but for the type of sight they are, they're fairly light. And, they're the best 'bang' for you 'buck,' as you asked. They are a balance between durability and lightness. I'm about as rough as it gets on equipment and I've never broken any metal sight, aside from an occasional fiber strand. If you drop your bow on your sight and ANY sight can bend - don't drop your bow. Sights that are built like a brick poop house are overkill (IMO) and the weight creates a balance issue that I never liked or could overcome. If I want weight for stabilization, I want it lower on the riser.
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top