• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    Does this mean no more pictures

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Your Palfriend may of ended those....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Boy that’s a flash from the past. Are they still running goose hunts ?
      In Canada, yes. Mike still owns the lodge in Midfield and it's now a hotel. He goes up to Canada every fall.

Comment

What kind of boat is that over your shoulder Josh? Looks like a Majek Skiff.

Comment

I've pretty much stopped posting on the GS, but still lurk a bit, but I wanted to get on this thread and report a FANTASTIC fishin' trip!! I took my 2 grandsons Axton who is 10 and Ryker who is 8 and their dad Jake to Matagorda and we met up with Captain Glenn Saturday morning... WHAT A DAY!! I had heard and read on here about Glenn's knack with the kids. Panhandlehunter who is on my deer lease just kept on talking about how his little girl Parker just loves Capt. Glenn... Well my grandsons have hair-lipped every catfish and bass/crappie in both my stock ponds at the farm but they'd never been "out in the boat" fishing... Let me tell you guys, that new Haynie and that 350 Merc is quite some boat that Glenn's got!!

Well on to the fishin'.... Neither of my boys (nor their dad for that matter) had ever really used a "real" rod n reel (spinning reel)... I have little Zebcos and one small spinning reel that they use at the ponds and I'd tried to teach them how to cast a nice spinning reel from my gear at home, but they just weren't interested... I figured if I took them and let a PRO handle it, it might go a bit different... Well, it did! By the end of the day, those boys AND their dad were all chunking those poppin' corks and shrimp a mile in that wind like pros themselves. Glenn indeed DOES have a knack of teaching!! Well it's not a knack, it's a gift plain and simple. He's just flat good at it. Fishing conditions were not good. We had those stiff winds and the later in the day the stronger the winds became... My outlook for the day was if the boys lasted to 10:00 AM, I'd have considered the trip a rousing success. If they caught fish, even better... Those boys fished ALL DAY!! Other than stopping and taking short breaks for another Gatorade, Mountain Dew and a snack, they fished the whole time up until 4:30!! We were sitting at the last spot that was on the way back to the Harbor trying to catch a redfish, and Axton asked if there were any more spots we could try. When Captain Glenn told him that this was the last cove between were we had been and the harbor, he was a bit disappointed, but then again he was wore plum out too!! So he didn't put up much of a protest when we finally called it a day...

I think the highlight of the day for both boys was they each caught a stingray!! They thought those were some pretty awesome creatures! We only brought home 2 keeper fish. Axton caught a keeper drum and Jake caught his first ever trout. I think he had as much fun as the boys! Jake has never been a fisherman or hunter as his dad was injured on the job when Jake was at young age and was never able to take him out to hunt and fish so he never developed a desire for either... I think that all changed yesterday!!

At the end of the day, the boys caught a BUNCH of Booner class whisker fish, several under-sized trout and drum, and Ryker caught his first ever redfish.

I had a really good time just getting to know Glenn and of course we swapped a bunch of stories as the day unfolded... What a good day to be on the water. We're already looking forward to doing it again.

Thanks Glenn!!

Comment

Sounds like a heck of a trip Charlie and good times with the family! Glad to see you posting brother!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              I've pretty much stopped posting on the GS, but still lurk a bit, but I wanted to get on this thread and report a FANTASTIC fishin' trip!! I took my 2 grandsons Axton who is 10 and Ryker who is 8 and their dad Jake to Matagorda and we met up with Captain Glenn Saturday morning... WHAT A DAY!! I had heard and read on here about Glenn's knack with the kids. Panhandlehunter who is on my deer lease just kept on talking about how his little girl Parker just loves Capt. Glenn... Well my grandsons have hair-lipped every catfish and bass/crappie in both my stock ponds at the farm but they'd never been "out in the boat" fishing... Let me tell you guys, that new Haynie and that 350 Merc is quite some boat that Glenn's got!!

Well on to the fishin'.... Neither of my boys (nor their dad for that matter) had ever really used a "real" rod n reel (spinning reel)... I have little Zebcos and one small spinning reel that they use at the ponds and I'd tried to teach them how to cast a nice spinning reel from my gear at home, but they just weren't interested... I figured if I took them and let a PRO handle it, it might go a bit different... Well, it did! By the end of the day, those boys AND their dad were all chunking those poppin' corks and shrimp a mile in that wind like pros themselves. Glenn indeed DOES have a knack of teaching!! Well it's not a knack, it's a gift plain and simple. He's just flat good at it. Fishing conditions were not good. We had those stiff winds and the later in the day the stronger the winds became... My outlook for the day was if the boys lasted to 10:00 AM, I'd have considered the trip a rousing success. If they caught fish, even better... Those boys fished ALL DAY!! Other than stopping and taking short breaks for another Gatorade, Mountain Dew and a snack, they fished the whole time up until 4:30!! We were sitting at the last spot that was on the way back to the Harbor trying to catch a redfish, and Axton asked if there were any more spots we could try. When Captain Glenn told him that this was the last cove between were we had been and the harbor, he was a bit disappointed, but then again he was wore plum out too!! So he didn't put up much of a protest when we finally called it a day...

I think the highlight of the day for both boys was they each caught a stingray!! They thought those were some pretty awesome creatures! We only brought home 2 keeper fish. Axton caught a keeper drum and Jake caught his first ever trout. I think he had as much fun as the boys! Jake has never been a fisherman or hunter as his dad was injured on the job when Jake was at young age and was never able to take him out to hunt and fish so he never developed a desire for either... I think that all changed yesterday!!

At the end of the day, the boys caught a BUNCH of Booner class whisker fish, several under-sized trout and drum, and Ryker caught his first ever redfish.

I had a really good time just getting to know Glenn and of course we swapped a bunch of stories as the day unfolded... What a good day to be on the water. We're already looking forward to doing it again.

Thanks Glenn!!
              I’ll second Charlie’s statements on Glenn my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the day with Glenn, amidst conditions that sounded about the same. I’ve already sent Glenn’s info to a couple of friends, and one has already scheduled a trip. Haven’t heard back from the others. Great guide, made a friend who I’ll recommend to others in the future, and gained a wealth of information on various subjects. Anyone looking for a trip in the Matagorda area would be doing themselves a favor to reach out to Glenn and book a trip

Comment

Thank you Charlie! That is very kind of you to say. I really enjoyed fishing with yall. You have some fine grandsons. They are very nice and respectful young fellas. Their good upbringing is evident. It was really nice visiting with you. And the boys caught on quick. They hung in there like champs. I kept thinking ok, they probably won't last much longer. But they did. All the way till the end.

Just a quick report... This weekend was like polar opposites from sat to sun. Saturday morning we had light winds and I was able to work deep structure in open water and we caught "limits" of 18-19" trout and a few drum and redfish. All caught and released for a company tournament. Back at the dock by noon. Saturday afternoon the wind picked up and blew everything out. We caught a few fish but it was already much tougher. Sunday morning we were very limited on options with everything out in open water blown out. So we fished protected water as best we could and it was just a grind. The river is on a pretty good rise so the river, diversion channel, a lot of the ICW and some of the bay is fresh. Our windy day options get pretty thin with the runoff. I also think the weak outgoing tide was offset by the strong south wind and we were just sitting on a dead tide all day. This spring has really been challenging on these bad wind days. We have lots of tough days every spring but this year seems to be tougher than usual. I sure can't wait for those sweet SE wind days of June where I can get out and fish everything I want to fish. There are lots of fish out deep. We did see really good schools of glass minnows. I keep thinking they are going to pull the trout up on the shorelines. I sure hope they do soon. Talking to buddies of mine who specialize in redfish it was a grind for them this weekend. They could find fish and saw lots of fish but had a real hard time getting fish to eat well. We worked pretty hard to find a decent redfish for our company tournament saturday morning. But we did find a good one and we tied for first with Capt. Michael Kubecka.

Comment

Good deal Charlie. We have a trip with Glenn coming up. Hopefully this wind will lay.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                    Good to see some healthy trout. Josh, is that West Matty, Esparito, or San Antonio ??
                    I have been to POC a few times since the freeze but have been leaving the trout alone. Just waiting on some better reports before I put any effort in targeting them again. Nothing better than a good topwater bite with bigger trout.
                    West matty and everything else out east of POC would probably be your best bet... everything south towards rockport seems pretty slow

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      What kind of boat is that over your shoulder Josh? Looks like a Majek Skiff.
                      El pescador classic... it’s a friend of mines

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                        avian skies...whatever their fishing charter is called. A friend caught a monster with them last year and thats who they recommended
                        Nice... I don’t really hear too much about tarpon but I know a lot of ppl say will granbury has them figured out

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                          I’ll second Charlie’s statements on Glenn my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the day with Glenn, amidst conditions that sounded about the same. I’ve already sent Glenn’s info to a couple of friends, and one has already scheduled a trip. Haven’t heard back from the others. Great guide, made a friend who I’ll recommend to others in the future, and gained a wealth of information on various subjects. Anyone looking for a trip in the Matagorda area would be doing themselves a favor to reach out to Glenn and book a trip
                          Thank you! Yep, same conditions exactly. Thank you for the referrals, I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Great write up Charlie. It’s not always about catching fish or brining fish home it’s about the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                              Thank you Charlie! That is very kind of you to say. I really enjoyed fishing with yall. You have some fine grandsons. They are very nice and respectful young fellas. Their good upbringing is evident. It was really nice visiting with you. And the boys caught on quick. They hung in there like champs. I kept thinking ok, they probably won't last much longer. But they did. All the way till the end.

Just a quick report... This weekend was like polar opposites from sat to sun. Saturday morning we had light winds and I was able to work deep structure in open water and we caught "limits" of 18-19" trout and a few drum and redfish. All caught and released for a company tournament. Back at the dock by noon. Saturday afternoon the wind picked up and blew everything out. We caught a few fish but it was already much tougher. Sunday morning we were very limited on options with everything out in open water blown out. So we fished protected water as best we could and it was just a grind. The river is on a pretty good rise so the river, diversion channel, a lot of the ICW and some of the bay is fresh. Our windy day options get pretty thin with the runoff. I also think the weak outgoing tide was offset by the strong south wind and we were just sitting on a dead tide all day. This spring has really been challenging on these bad wind days. We have lots of tough days every spring but this year seems to be tougher than usual. I sure can't wait for those sweet SE wind days of June where I can get out and fish everything I want to fish. There are lots of fish out deep. We did see really good schools of glass minnows. I keep thinking they are going to pull the trout up on the shorelines. I sure hope they do soon. Talking to buddies of mine who specialize in redfish it was a grind for them this weekend. They could find fish and saw lots of fish but had a real hard time getting fish to eat well. We worked pretty hard to find a decent redfish for our company tournament saturday morning. But we did find a good one and we tied for first with Capt. Michael Kubecka.

As usual good report Glenn by filling in the details only one itsy-bitsy minor correction.... Your tournament was FRIDAY and we fished with you SATURDAY... I'm thinkin' you need to put a T-top on that boat so you don't bake yore brain!! It's the second thing to go you know!!!

Comment

Good stuff Charlie!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X